College Football Off Season - 2020.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Feb 3, 2020.

1. WSU1996kesley

WSU1996kesley Well-Known Member

With all of the travel restrictions, how will Hawaii have a season without scheduling the local Naval base and High School teams?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Conferences still haven't issued a statement on their schedule. Pac12 was talking about only playing conference games. All of them have considered that option. I wonder when they will make a decision to either try to play all the games or to limit the schedule.

3. WSU1996kesley

Unless there is general agreement to "accept the risk" I seriously don't see a season happening. And I don't know if that would be the "right" thing to do or not. There is a lot of unreliable and conflicting data out there, and many experts have been outright wrong as this developed (including in direct opposition with each other).

In my selected education, training, and vocation, I have developed a technical, statistical approach to problem solving. My natural comfort zone is in basing decisions and opions on foundational data and reports, trusting in the experts and their analysis. However, none of the data has turned out to be trustworthy. The experts have proven unreliable and "conflictory" (until now that was not a word, but on June 24, 2020, I copyright it!). As a result, I cannot pretend to KNOW the right answers, because there is no KNOWING with what we have available with any degree of certainty. (Which is primarily why I stopped sharing my models, charts, and analysis. Without reliable, foundational information, solid analysis and decisions are still not possible. In the meantime, leaders will continue making imperfect decisions to the best of their ability. And every one of them will be distrusted/hated because somebody "knows better" than they do.)

The developments haven't even started.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

I agree Kesle, looks pretty discouraging at the moment. Could be a very long fall for football fans!:(

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

It ain't gonna happen and I'm not watching NFL players and coaches take a knee when the National Anthem is played. My father and many men like him fought the Nazi bastards to keep that flag and all it represents flying high. There are many justified reasons for people to protest but not against the symbol of freedom.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

I agree with Kes. The NYC marathon was just cancelled for the fall in this area. They are talking about cancelling the Christmas tree festivities in Rockefeller Center. I would guess the holiday parades as well. I think that behind the curtain the "experts" know that this is not going anywhere anytime soon. Sports at least for 2020 is probably a pipe dream. One lesson we have learned about our species; if we are not constantly entertained we will turn on one another in the most destructive and hurtful ways possible.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  7. WSU1996kesley

Are gladiatorial arenas COVID-compliant? ;)

8. Terry O'Keefe

ACC Commish John Swofford is retiring after this season. He's been a pretty good commissioner for the ACC. Saw the league expand by raiding the old Big East and become a power in sports other than basketball. Football still just a good not great conference.

I see that Kiffin and Mike Leach and a number of other Mississippi college coaches are going to the Legislature to lobby for a change to the state flag, removing the Confederate Battle flag from the upper corner.

Also saw an article that said the Conferences are all considering moving their Championship games back a week to allow for a "makeup" week in case a game gets cancelled and needs to be moved.

9. Terry O'Keefe

Clemson had 14 more positive tests, that brings up to 37.:(

Oregon and Oregon State will no longer call their game the Civil War.

10. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Re OSU/Ore

I think the Covid pandemic has caused this country to go insane.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. George Krebs

I think I have an anecdote to back this up. My sister in Ohio has sent two daughters off to college in the last four years. One went to Ohio U and just earned a dual degree in History and Art. The other just completed her freshman year at Ohio Northern. She is pursuing some sort of Theater Arts degree and is an accomplished vocalist and actor who has actually performed on Broadway.

They were both furloughed from school due to the pandemic and they arrived home as angry, screaming judgmental anarchists who have written off most of their extended family ( especially my son, the Trooper ) and give their mother unending daily lectures on white guilt, black pride and the need for a NWO The older one from Ohio U actually took an editorial shot at me on LinkedIn ( I got away from FaceBook and my BP went down 20 points ) for my conservative nature and my need to atone for the sins of my great-great-great grandfathers, as they imagine them. She also had her black boyfriend call her 11 year old brother and lecture him on his role in the subjugation of blacks and his need to atone. She celebrates every statue that is toppled or defaced, every monument that is painted proving that a degree in Art History means jack **** to a true anarchist. The vocalist is a little less militant but has all but abandoned her plans and performances to train under her older sister.

My sister is an single parent who raised these girls and four other kids all on her own. One day these kids may wake up and find mommy gone.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  12. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

Two wrongs have never seemed to equal a right.
    Everything in moderation has always been a better axiom to live by.

You can't change the history of 200 years ago by toppling statues today....that's fruitless and damaging but you can however change some questionable police activity and philosophy by acknowledging what is wrong and trying to implement better police methodology.... but not by defunding and other extreme measures.
    Every complex operation has room for improvement and the policing of our society is no exception.

13. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Painful to read this George. My hope is that your nieces, when they face the nasty challenges posed by life when they make their own way in this world, come to the realization that their present treatment of their mother and their uncle and cousin was awful and personally apologize while all are still here on Earth.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  14. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Edit to keep on topic:
    Has a SINGLE player even been hospitalized?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  15. Motorcity Gator

Population of New York is 19.5 million and yesterday they had 708 new cases of Covid.
    The population of Florida is 21.5 million and 9600 new cases were reported today.

We should be doing in Florida what they have been doing in NY.... and that's serious volumes of testing and contact tracing.
    DeSantis picked an arbitrary date in early May to reopen the state and that message was a green light for the ones in the population that were not taking the virus seriously to jump right back to normal... and that has proved disastrous.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  16. Terry O'Keefe

This is starting to be take a backroom turn. Let's get back to football only.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Motorcity Gator

37 Clemson players that have the virus and subsequently won't have it during the season.
    Swinney will do anything to make Clemson win the national title..... :)

18. George Krebs

That's my fault. I thought I was on the other board when I submitted the post about my nieces. Apologies.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Terry O'Keefe

Not much that is really football related happened this weekend. I think virtually all teams are now deep into their voluntary workouts, exception is KU that discontinued for a couple of weeks. So I guess no news is good news.

20. Terry O'Keefe

So SI has reimagined College Football post Covid-19. It's never going to happen though. They take 120 FBS teams and break them down into 10 conferences of 12 teams each, the old conferences are dismissed. They play round robin schedule and 1 non-conference game. There are no independents, the Irish are forced to join a conference. The conferences to me don't look attractive ...

How about Alabama in the Sun Belt with La.Tech, Memphis, Tulane and some others I can't tell who they are from the mascots in the graphic. Ohio State/Michigan stay together but are in with Kent State, Ohio U, Akron and some other who again I don't know the mascots. The Irish get Western Kentucky, Marshall, Middle Tenn and Northern Illinois. Nope that's whole concept is DOA.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/06/29/ncaa-college-football-conference-realignment