Civil War of Stupidity

Discussion in 'Political Discussions' started by Stu Ryckman, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

Voices that Dominate American Political Discourse Often Have the Least Useful Perspectives | National Review

"No matter what the news of the day, the dumbest possible response is guaranteed to emerge on one side, triggering the dumbest possible reaction from the other side."

"Where are the sane grown-ups? Isn’t anyone willing to take a break from the usual partisan food fight to spend just a little time trying to solve our actual problems? Or are we just destined to be bystanders in a Civil War of Stupidity indefinitely?"

• Like Like x 3
  2. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

No ****......

3. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

If you are going to deface a statue, shouldn’t you learn something about that person first?

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

If it's a statue it must be BAD!
    o_O

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Motorcity Gator

6. Bobdawolverweasel

Don’t think I would classify Trump’s campaign use of a waiver of liability clause as “stupid”. You may have missed it while acquiring your expertise in epidemiology and the law from the internet, but in the post Covid business world, waivers of liability re Covid infection are becoming quite common. Here is an article from a legal trade journal advising businesses that the waiver if a good proactive tool to use to reduce their liability risk when they open their doors:

Waivers of Liability in the COVID-19 Era: Proactive Steps Businesses Should Consider to Protect Against Possible Future Liability | JD Supra

D
    on’t be surprised if a similar waiver is on the ticket of the next sporting event you attend or that you are asked to sign a waiver at your next karaoke concert.

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Bobdawolverweasel

The problematic aspect is businesses are required to take reasonable steps to protect customers from the risk that is the subject of the waiver. Not doing so could void the waiver. So prior to the convention, if the sponsors of the convention disparage , discourage, or mock masking or social distancing, anyone infected who does bring suit might point to those comments as a reason to void the waiver.

8. Motorcity Gator

And Trump has been doing all of those things Bobda.

Seems like a careless disregard for health and welfare to make Jacksonville guarantee a packed arena for the RNC or to not encourage masks and social distancing for a rally in Tulsa.

The intent of Trump to irresponsibly bring thousands of people together in dangerously close quarters to promote himself politically just seems outrageous and lacking in leadership.
    "Think about it as a celebration. My rally is a celebration. In the history of politics, I think I can say there’s never been any group or any person that’s had rallies like I do,” Trump said. “I go and I just say, give me the biggest stadium and we fill it up every time. We’ve never had a vacancy."

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  9. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

My haircut place requires a waiver before services. I look and feel good. I'm the best looking Trump supporter.

Dave, need your address, I have an early X-Mas present for you.

Shirt-Donald-Trump-Fuck-Corona-Shirt.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Motorcity Gator

Uh... no thanks AJ but I appreciate it.... I really really do.... :)

11. Motorcity Gator

Pot calling kettle black...?
    In response to advertisers pulling ads from the Tucker Carlson Show Fox News said a few things including... "The company's position, as expressed in late 2018 and again in 2019, is that "we cannot and will not allow voices like Tucker Carlson to be censored by agenda-driven intimidation efforts."

LMAO..... Good one Fox News......

12. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

Huh...must have missed where Fox News intimidated anyone by censorship. Maybe in some small way it happened, but that seems to be a common tactic of the left. Free speech is rapidly going away in this country. Try to express an opinion or discuss the other side of an issue and the morality police will make you suffer.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Scott88

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Kellen Mond has stepped up his rhetoric on the Sul Ross statue ...

Mond, a senior from San Antonio, issued a statement Tuesday saying that the arguments of Sullivan's contributions to A&M should not outweigh his past, citing several historical examples.

Which begs the question if Sul Ross the statue comes down, what do they do with Sul Ross the University out in Alpine?

UNLV is removing a statue of it's mascot called "Hey Reb", and there are talks that they will ditch the whole Runnin' Rebels mascot

Columbus statues are also under fire and they are being defaced all around the country and one is being removed in Sacramento from the State Capitol building that has been there since 1883.

In Berkley the school district is going to remove the names Washington and Jefferson from schools.

Last year Notre Dame covered up murals of Columbus that are in the Main Building (Golden Dome). I've seen them and they are beautiful, but they were deemed offensive because of what Columbus coming to the New World did to Natives Americans.

In Houston we are taking down a statue of Dick Dowling, a Confederate Officer who was a minor hero in Texas History of the Civil War. He had schools named after him and streets, etc. Street name is gone and the schools have been renamed but the statue at the entrance to one of Houston's most important parks has remained...but it's coming down. Also there is a street named Tuam which ironically borders a park called Emancipation Park. Dowling was born (according to wiki) in Miltown Ireland in County Galway, Tuam is also a town in County Galway. There is a movement now to rename Tuam because some are saying it's his hometown. There is also a statue called the Spirit of the Confederacy that is in another park and it's going to go as well.

Also as many know there are objections to the origins of "The Eyes of Texas". So many college songs were written in the early 1900's or Late 1800's I wonder how many of them were written by people who today would be called racists?

15. Scott88

So where does this end? Do they stop mentioning Jefferson and Washington in history class?
    Do we skip over all they did because it hurts someone's sensibilities?

16. Motorcity Gator

Here's where it ends.... Quaker Oats doing away with the ages old brand.... Aunt Jemima,

Ok that's enough..... :)

17. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

OK so now it's Aunt Jemima. A brand based on a former slave who became a famed storyteller and cook. Quaker aptly named (quaking in their boots) says that it stereotyped by using her. OK, I'll bite. why are Air Jordan's not stereotyping?

18. Terry O'Keefe

Strom Thurmond you're next!

Several former South Carolina football stars, including Marcus Lattimore and Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver Alshon Jeffery, are leading a campaign to rename the Strom Thurmond Wellness and Fitness Center on the school's campus.

The former Gamecocks -- who also include Carolina Panthers running back Mike Davis and Shaq Wilson, now on the football staff at the University of Tennessee -- shared the same statement on social media:

"To celebrate well known segragationist Strom Thurmond's legacy by keeping his name on our Wellness Center sends a contradicitng message to our black students @UofSC. We can no longer be held back by those whose ideals represent divison. We must continue the fight for equality."

19. Bobdawolverweasel

Really surprised that the SJW in Ann Arbor have not started demanding that Yost Ice Arena be renamed. Suspect Ty Cobb’s statue in Detroit might be a little nervous.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Terry O'Keefe

Well that racist band at the University of Fla has been called out!

The University of Florida will no longer allow its "Gator Bait" cheer at sporting events because of "historic racist imagery associated with the phrase," school president Kent Fuchs announced Thursday.

As part of a university-wide review to help the school take steps against racism, Fuchs highlighted the cheer as an action that will be taken immediately.

"While I know of no evidence of racism associated with our 'Gator Bait' cheer at UF sporting events, there is horrific historic racist imagery associated with the phrase," Fuchs said. "Accordingly, University Athletics and the Gator Band will discontinue the use of the cheer."