College Football Off Season - 2020.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Feb 3, 2020.

1. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Don, I agree with him also. In this case late is better than early.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Taulia Tagavolua is transferring to Maryland. Maryland Head Coach Mike Locksley was the OC at Alabama when older brother Tua was the quarterback and apparently became close with the family.

3. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Maryland, doesn't seem like a great move. I personally don't have a lot of faith that Locksley is going to have a very good program at Maryland.

4. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Maryland has never had a very good program. They've been ok a few times in football, but basketball and lacrosse have been their sports. I hope the younger Tagavolua will be happy. With his talent he should do well there.

5. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

I think Maryland might surprise some of us with their recent recruiting success. Time will tell.

6. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Don, it could be but I was stationed in the Maryald, DC, Virginia area for 25 yrs and Watched a lot of ACC basketball and football. Maryland might have a decent year or two but their local talent goes to Penn State, UNC, UVA. Maryland just can't seem bring in the football players and that was before they had to compete with Big 10 teams on the field.

7. Terry O'Keefe

Locksley main talent seems to be as a recruiter. He knows the DC area very well. He worked with Ron Zook another guy who could recruit, but was just an average at best HC.

It seems like he'll have a hard time doing better than 5th place in the Big 10 East. We'll have to wait and see, he'll need a few years of excellent recruiting to build up that Maryland roster.

8. Terry O'Keefe

Anybody besides me find it odd that Patrick Mahomes is the Texas Tech virtual graduation speaker? I mean as far as I know he never graduated from Tech. To be fair he's seems like a really good person, and it is a virtual graduation. Also it's not like a college degree is a prerequisite for giving these, I'm sure there are others. Still just seems odd.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Terry O'Keefe

Good article on the economic impact this situation is having on college towns. It's ND specific, in the South Bend Tribune. But the impact has to be pretty much the same for business owners in other college towns.

Started this week with graduation. Hotels would have been full with families and friends of the 2020 graduates. Restaurants would have been busy. Instead they are empty.

Will even be worse this fall when football ordinarily have filled up all of those venues, lots of food bought locally for tailgating.

To read the full article linked you'll have to answer a couple of questions before you can read. Survey type of questions.

A 'body blow' to South Bend businesses: Notre Dame's lost graduation and fewer football fans

10. Terry O'Keefe

The Athletic came up with a method of determing the most dominant college football teams of the last 50 years.

1. 1995 Neb
    2. 2001 Miami
    3. 1971 Neb
    4. 2019 LSU
    5. 1972 USC

It's a pretty interesting article, but of course really just some writers opinion and he uses some made up pack of stats to back up his claims.

11. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Seems that I remember in the 50's Maryland was consistently a very good team.

Since then not so much.

12. Don Ballard

Some encouraging news here in Columbus. The WHAC (Woody Hayes Athletic Center) opened yesterday with a number of limited football coaches moving back into their offices. It's a baby step but with full university approval. GO Bucks!

• Like Like x 1
  13. kp

kp Well-Known Member

They did win a National Championship in the 50's and Maryland was Coach Bryant's first Head Coaching job. They won quite a few ACC championships but still never really had a national impact. They had some great basketball teams though.

14. Terry O'Keefe

Has Ohio State made any official statement as to whether or not students will be back on campus for the fall semester?

I saw where South Carolina has said students will be back in the fall, but they will not have a fall break and after Thanksgiving only online classes in anticipation of the potential for a 2nd Wave.

15. Don Ballard

President Drake is planning on reopening the campus in June on a very limited basis. Students will be back for the fall semester. Students on campus looks like football to me!

16. Terry O'Keefe

Don at one time, if I remember correctly, Ohio State started their fall semester a couple of weeks after most schools. Have they adjusted their start date in recent years so match other schools which now start usually late August?

17. Don Ballard

Terry, Here is the latest academic calendar, subject to change:

Fall semester will commence on August 20th. That means students on campus and first day of classes. Last updated April 7th 2020.

18. Terry O'Keefe

Thanks Don.

Stanford has an academic calendar that is different as well. I seem to remember it coming up during the NFL draft. They are on the trimester system, don't start autumn classes till Sept 21st and the Spring is divided into 2 semesters. Autumn, Winter, Spring...they do commencement Mid June. I was thinking Ohio State used to have that calender.

19. Don Ballard

Reports this morning from multiple sources indicate football players will be allowed back on campus Monday, June 8, 2020. Reports are currently unconfirmed by OSU. Read something elsewhere that the NCAA and Big Ten Conference will vote on Wednesday to allow the existing matorium for practice to resume. This gives me more hope for football this season.

20. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

Pretty knowledgeable guy that wrote that piece.

Death, taxes, and the 1995 Cornhuskers DOC!