College Football Off Season - 2020.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

ND Athletic Director getting some criticism for his statements on playing the season. Said he could see maybe a couple of games being played without fans, but not the whole season. Said it wouldn't be fair to the students and the fans.

2. kp

kp Well-Known Member

How about Gundy? I want college football but right now I don't see any loosening of controls fot at least 2 months. There should still be controls of crowds in place but 2 months is my uneducated guess.

• Like Like x 2
  3. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

Agreed, but this was going to be a boat with at least one other person who doesn't live with us and works in a wood processing mill in which they take no COVID safety precautions. I know it's his buddy (buddies) but I had to put the foot down. I know he's going stir crazy, but sometimes you just gotta say no.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

Smart decision Corey....

5. Terry O'Keefe

Big 12 Commissioner weighed in on the season.

Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby has been speaking with the other Power 5 conference commissioners daily, and said on Thursday that he remains concerned about "whether or not we can have a full and robust football season" as the future of the sport remains uncertain because of the coronavirus pandemic.

"Virtually every program is highly reliant on football revenue," he told ESPN. "We're making lots of contingency plans, but if you don't get the anticipated number of games in, you lose the donations, you lose the sponsorships, you lose the gate receipts and you lose the TV. It's potentially very impactful."

Bowlsby declined at this time to say what specific models the league is considering if the season has to be altered or pushed back. The Big 12 implemented a 10 percent salary cut across the board in the conference office, including Bowlsby, he said.

Bowlsby concerned about 'full, robust' season

6. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

maybe don't wait a month before playing the title game? I mean, instead of a 'bowl month' leading to the title game, maybe they can push the season a bit later and fill the time that way? I don't know. Just spit balling. A lot depends on when they can start.

7. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

Fans in the seats depends on where we are with the Covid danger. How gone does it have to be?
    I guess we'll know the answer to that after we see how things are going if they weed people back into society as they are now discussing.
    Damn I feel like I'm in the middle of a sci-fi movie script......

8. Terry O'Keefe

XFL appears to be done, they have laid off all their staff and say they have no plans to return in 2021. Which is too bad, the NFL really needs a minor league and it potentially would provide a spot for kids who play a year or so in college but don't cut it academically or just need money and aren't eligible for the draft.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Terry O'Keefe

I have to agree with Ohio State's AD (ND grad Gene Smith).

Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith knows the resumption of college sporting events in venues without fans is an option amid the coronavirus pandemic, but he doesn't see how it would ensure the safety of those on the field or the court.

Smith said Friday that he needs more information from experts on how holding sporting events in empty stadiums or arenas would ensure the health of student-athletes. The NCAA canceled all spring events because of the outbreak, and no decisions have been made on fall sports, which include football.

"I struggle with that concept," Smith said on a conference call with reporters. "When I first heard that, I said, 'OK, that could work.' But I figured if we don't have fans in the stands, we've determined it's not safe for them in a gathering environment. So why would it be safe for the players?"

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Terry O'Keefe

Also even though the NCAA has allowed that athletes in the final year of their eligibility this Spring can be granted another year in 2021. But it's up to the individual schools. Wisconsin AD, Barry Alvarez, has announced that Wisc will not be offering those kids that extra year. In a lot of ways I don't blame him, he has freshmen coming in the 2020-21 school year and if Sr's are held over then what happens with scholarships, plus now some of them who were looking towards competing as freshmen will find themselves not getting that opportunity because the guys/gals they were going to replace didn't leave.

I think this is pretty much how this is going to play out.

11. Terry O'Keefe

We haven't heard any reports, up till now, about College Athletes having the virus. Privacy laws and all though we weren't going to know unless they self reports. Brian Kelly said that ND didn't have any football players who have tested positive. Now he's just guessing there unless he knows who has been tested and who hasn't been tested, which maybe he does. But it's not very likely all of his 100+ players have been tested, so we don't know what the real status is of the team.

But now a FSU OL, Andrew Boselli, who's dad was a USC and NFL OL has a story up about his case. I thought it interesting what he said about what the Dr's called his mild case.

Andrew Boselli wrote that a day after he was tested for the virus on March 21, "I woke up feeling like I'd been hit by a bus." He had a fever that spiked to 103 degrees, felt shortness of breath and at one point "was glued to the couch with no energy, no appetite and nothing but fluids and over-the-counter medicines to help me feel better."

Though doctors considered his case "mild," Boselli wrote, "my experience was anything but mild."

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
  12. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

This morning I see where Iowa State is considering starting football readiness on May 1st? The saga begins and where it ends no one knows! To me football without fans is a ridiculous solution.

13. Terry O'Keefe

I don't know about you guys but I have watched some old games and you can clearly see how the new rules if applied to those games would have changed a lot of things. Great hits would have been targeting and ejection in a lot of cases.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. WSU1996kesley

WSU1996kesley Well-Known Member

The original game of football was basically attempted homicide codified into violent soccer. Violent soccer led to street thugs rugby, followed by street thug rugby with PPE. We have moved into the era of delinquent caring gridiron, but it probably won't be too much longer before it has fully transitioned into padded cell cotton ball tossing contests.

• Funny Funny x 3
  15. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Terry O'Keefe

17. Don Ballard

While I have been hopeful of college football this fall, I have to agree with the findings in the article Terry posted above. It may be a long absence of college sports.:(

• Like Like x 1
  18. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

19. Don Ballard

Good question AJ!

20. Terry O'Keefe

It's really two different situations. Texas needs that elite coach, we have a lot of talent to be competing for the B12 title and a top 10 team. Herman has recruited well, but he and his staff have not taken advantage of the talent. Maybe the new hires will change that, maybe not. But the job remains an elite job due to the recruiting advantages.

Nebraska however doesn't have those recruiting advantages anymore. Their recruiting mirrors that of their rivals in the B10 west, Wisconsin, Minn, Iowa, etc. So they need great coaching, which they might have in Scott Frost. But it's going to take some patience from Neb fans. For them it's about finding and developing talent, building up the roster. They can get there.