College Football Off Season - 2020.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

I was very concerned about our tailback situation with Dobbins gone to the NFL and our only real possibility injured in the first day of spring ball. We now have two excellent tailbacks with the addition of the # 1 and five star back Henderson , who committed today.

“HIS COMPETITIVE DRIVE – HIS FIRE THAT HE HAS IN HIM TO COMPETE – IS SOMETHING THAT I CAN’T TEACH.”– HOPEWELL HEAD COACH RICHARD IRBY ON RB TREVEYON HENDERSON

Henderson finished with 3,195 all-purpose yards in 2019 (2,424 rushing; 283 receiving; 462 in the return game; 26 yards on three interceptions) and 53 total touchdowns (45 rushing; five receiving; two kick returns; one punt return), and he did so on an efficient 13.2 carries per game. That sort of usage will be in the cards again during his senior season, so he will come to Columbus with plenty of tread on his tires.

2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Don the Buckeyes have an amazing class going, and you are doing it at a time when were are in a dead period for recruiting. Your class is looking like some of the great Alabama classes that Saban has put together. You are out stripping the Big 10 even Michigan.

3. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

I'm not too sure if we know 'more' of our cases than any other nation. South Korea set the bar as far as testing goes. As it is now, pretty much the only people being tested are those who have sought medical treatment and are showing signs. Testing needs to reach much further out than that. I miss sports as much as anyone. Hell, I got myself a new hat and hoodie ready for opening day this year as did my son. He's excited that I've decided to return to my youth and family to follow the Dodgers. At the same time, all of this just falls way behind in consideration to the pandemic and the concerns that has brought about these days.

4. Terry O'Keefe

Herbstreit said he doesn't think we'll have either college or NFL football this fall.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/27/kirk-...s-doomsday-scenario-for-nfl-college-football/

• Like Like x 1
  5. Don Ballard

This confirms pretty much what i have been posting. Sad,, but just too many opticals to be selfish and expose these athletes to more exposure.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Terry O'Keefe

There is a lot of money at stake here and I have no doubt that the NCAA and the AD's are going to try their hardest to figure out a way to play the season. But it does seem like it will be very risky and lead to the possibility that you end up with a something like what he described...a locker room full of infected players.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Um... tap the brakes on life being on hold for 12 months Herbie.
    If people think the world is going to stay shut down for 12-18 months til there's a vaccine, I gotta call BS.
    At some point way before that the damage to the economy/infrastructure will become so great there's no choice but to release the holds.
    You can lock down "at risk" folks, and the rest have to soldier on.
    The government can write $1200 checks for 12 months... but not even the most naive will think there's ANYTHING backing those checks at that point.

8. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

This **** is so contagious that the way stadiums are packed in with 90,000 fans if even one were to have the virus it could be passed to 20-30 people attending the game and then how many of their friends or family would then begin to pass it around unknowingly ultimately killing some people.
    I can't see that as a viable option for CFB.... as much as it pains me terribly to consider the possibility of no 2020 season.
    We need a vaccine soon!!

9. Terry O'Keefe

I don't know what to think about live sporting events with a stadium full of people. Unless some miracle happens I don't see how we'll be in a place where it would be safe to have a stadium full of people .

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. WSU1996kesley

WSU1996kesley Well-Known Member

Finally, something worth reading! There's at least one on here for everyone on the board!

Hatin’ Ass Spurrier, COVID-19 edition

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. WSU1996kesley

WSU1996kesley Well-Known Member

These are some of the best gallery suggestions:

SEC announced a travel ban? So what’s changed?

All of a sudden Florida needs an order from the governor to stay home?

Bill Snyder doesn't see what the big deal is after surviving the Bubonic Plague.

PPE ain't something you cure with Penicillin.

With the government bailing out terribly mismanaged organizations, this must be the Pac-12's year!

Ordered to stay at home for the next month? Mark Mangino has been training for this his entire life.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Terry O'Keefe

Longhorn Network will be showing Texas Classic Football games, including the 1996 Big 12 Championship game and the 1998 game in Lincoln. I hope AJ's cable provider has the Longhorn Network on his channel list, he'll want to relive these classic games! :rolleyes:

In other news, the NCAA has extended the recruiting dead period for football to May 31st. This is going to be a problem for the Irish. ND really needs a kid to make the trip to campus, to see what a great place it is and to meet with the team and the coaches and learn about ND. It's a rare event when a kid commits to the Irish without a campus visit.

13. IrishCorey

Glad to see Spencer dusting off the keyboard to entertain people during the quarantine. Hatin' Ass Spurrier is always one of his best pieces.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Don Ballard

It would appear to me that if the calendar moves past July 1st, some of the early season games will be cancelled. Another option would be to play only scheduled conference games. That would really hurt the mid major teams, who rely upon the money they would earn for playing the Big Five universities. This is going to be a real challenge for ADs and coaches. My thoughts would be a shortened season is preferable to no season at all! Who would ever have thought this would come to pass?

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Terry O'Keefe

It's going to hurt more than just mid-majors. There are a lot of Ath Depts that barely make it into the black even with the football money. Without it schools like Rice will be in a lot of trouble. It'll crimp even the budgets of the rich like Texas and Texas A&M.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. IrishCorey

I think we just need to come to terms with the fact that we're most likely not looking at having a football season. I know this isn't the topic for it, but I think this is going to get a lot worse real quickly before it ever gets remotely better.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Terry O'Keefe

I agree Corey, but I think they will do everything in their power to get some sort of football season both College and Pro, there is just so much money involved. Even if they don't allow fans, the TV money would be important for their financial health.

I can't see how it can be done safely though.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. IrishCorey

Doc,

I agree with you 100%. I am sure they will try to pull something off, but unless they play wrapped in bubbles, I don't know how you can do it.. even in an empty stadium.

19. Terry O'Keefe

20. Don Ballard

I agree it's a long shot, but I am hopeful. We need something to look forward to this fall.