College Football Off Season - 2020.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Feb 3, 2020.

1. WSU1996kesley

WSU1996kesley Well-Known Member

Sid, I hope not too respectfully. ;) I'm not married to the opinion, but the way I read it seems that the fleet of helicopters are likely to be making all the schedules and decisions for the young men. My interpretation could be wrong. Hell, the article could be written wrong. I definitely would support your interpretation if that is how things are run.

Yep!

Times change. I don't remember even thinking to invite my parents to sign up for classes...

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Interesting topic.

What is being done at Clemson is impressive. I have always respected Dabo and they sure seem to be doing things right.

3. kp

kp Well-Known Member

As a Freshman, we moved her into her apartment and parents and students were invited to an orientation presentation. Then we (the parents) were told that it was time for the students to sign up for their classes. The students were directed through one door and the parents were directed through another door and told that we would not be able to participate in this part of the program. I was fine with it, my daughter, on the other hand, had a deer in the headlight look like she was being led away to slaughter. This was the only time we were even in town when she enrolled in classes subsequently.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

kp, I believe most parents have had that same experience watching their child walk away, and most children had the same visible reaction as your daughter. I remember well the look on my oldest daughter's face as we bid her goodbye. You described it well. As soon as my wife and I turned away from her to walk away, we both cried. It wasn't as bad with our younger two, but I'll never forget that scene.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Sid, I was actually glad that they didn't let me go with her. She needed to be pushed out of the nest.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Understood. Been there. It’s been many years, but I remember it well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

There is still some room for helicoptering. I remember in Jeremy's sophomore year he had a physics class that he couldn't take his frosh year because it was filled up. His counselor told him that he'd be best to delay it further because it was too heavy a load, what with his sophomore math course and chemistry course at the same time...and that dropping it would mean he wouldn't graduate in four years. When dear ol' Dad found out the **** hit the fan. I remembered myself taking calculus, physics, and pchem all in the same semester whilst taking other courses and being in the band (2 hours practice every day). I told Jer that if he wanted me to call the counselor up and ask if the school was gonna sponsor the extra semester or two that I would make the call. Jeremy said no and took care of it himself. He graduated in four years and had no problem with that "terrible" course load.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Stu, there are legitimate exceptions. That certainly was one. Sometimes you just have to stand up to "the man". Jeremy chose to do that and it worked out just fine.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

Yeah...I wasn't disagreeing with anybody's points...just remembering the time I came close to helicoptering. ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Small hands! ;)

Joe Burrow hand's measured 9 inches, avg for NFL QB's is 9 7/10th inches. Patrick Mahomes was 9 1/4 inches. Only 3 qbs with 9 inch hands have ever thrown as many as 300 NFL passes in the last 10 years...Jeff Goff, Ryan Tannehill and Chad Henne.

FWIW my hands which are smallish measure 8 1/2 inches.

They measure from tip of thumb to tip of pinkie when the fingers are spread as wide as you can.

I'd say give how well he threw the ball last year...it's not a measurable that predicts much.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

My gracious, what else do they measure?o_O

• Like Like x 2
  12. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Speaking of College, I went to Univ of Florida as a Freshman in Sept 1955 and finally graduated from there in April 1964. April because UF went on a Trimester system for a few years.

Had to drop out for four years to grow up, learn to study and most important find my wife. Did all, returned to and graduated from UF and have been married for 57 years, 58 come April 20th.

• Winner Winner x 4
  13. Don Ballard

Persistence can pay off big time Bill. Congratulations to you both.

14. Terry O'Keefe

Michigan will not be taking their spring trip overseas this year due to coronavirus concerns.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Don Ballard

Probably a good idea this year. Maybe it was the same article you read, but the team will be active in community service projects in lieu of the trip abroad.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Terry O'Keefe

Looks like the strange recruiting saga of Houston RB Zach Evans who is the #2 RB in the 2020 class but while originally a UGA signee( they released him from his LOI) might finally be close to being over.

He was suspended 4 times his senior year for attitude issues and the final being when he was sent home from the State championship game when the coach asked for the whole team to turn in their cell phones and he was the only kid who refused.

He was thought to be headed to A&M at one point, but Jimbo declined.

He's now visiting Fla and from what I read on The Athletic it looks like the Gators are likely to be his landing spot. I hope Dan Mullen can turn this kid around, he's very talented that's for sure.

17. Terry O'Keefe

It's being reported that Texas coach Tom Herman is traveling to South Bend today to meet with Brian Kelly. Now it's not unusual for coaches and staffs to go to other programs and observe and talk to them about things they do, get ideas, etc. I just don't remember a coach at a program like Texas making a trip to Notre Dame to do this.

Some Clemson coaches came last year during basketball season when the Clemson basketball team was in South Bend for a game, but Dabo didn't come.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Don Ballard

Maybe Herman is interested in the Notre Dame job when Kelly leaves? God forbid if he wants to bring Bevo with him!o_O

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. Terry O'Keefe

Ruggs sure blew away everybody yesterday. Ran a 4.27 40 and had the highest vertical leap as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

I think UF is maybe a dominant RB away from winning the SEC East and competing for a national championship.
    If Evans is half as good as say Lawrence Phillips was then maybe the Gators can win another national championship....
    pun intended... :)

• Funny Funny x 2