Notre Dame vs Boston College

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

BC a team that hates us as much as any team out there, and a team that has given us more than it's share of grief at times. From 2001 through 2008 BC beat us 6 times in a row. Those were pretty dark days for Irish football. We didn't play them in Weis first 2 years when we had a really good team though. Kelly has never lost to Boston College, so we have that going for u.

BC is 5-5, but it's a weak 5-5 After beating Va.Tech and Richmond to start the season their only wins have come against the worst team in Div1 Rutgers and two teams who are 1-5 in ACC play, Syracuse and NC State.

We will and should be favored, they are not as good as Navy. But they do have 2 very good running backs in A.J.Dillon and David Bailey who have combined for almost 2,000 yards this season. They have run for almost 3,000 yards as a team, while the Irish have not even made it to 2,000yds. So clearly this is where you have to go to stop their offfense. Their passing game isn't statistically much different than the Irish, we've passed for 2500 yds while they are right at 2000yds. Total offense is in favor of BC they are at 483 yds/game while we are at 420yds/game

Defensively that is where the big difference is we are the #18 ranked defense while BC is down around #100.

We should be healthy. Book should be confident, it's Senior Day, it should be a win.

But we of course still have to play the game, weather, which team comes ready to play more than the other...all factor into the game of course.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Terry O'Keefe

B.C. is not going to be a sellout either, announced attendance at Navy was 74K+ capacity is 77K+ Weather is expected to cold of course, high 30's at kickoff some chance of rain (20%).

I wonder when the next announced sellout will be?

3. Terry O'Keefe

Shayne Simon is going to have surgery for the dislocated patella...said he'll be recovered to play next year, doesn't sound like he'll be ready for the Spring though.

4. Terry O'Keefe

More on injuries from Kelly's press conference

On the injury to defensive lineman Jayson Ademilola:
    "He had an ankle sprain. I think he's day-to-day right now. He was in the training room today and it's Monday, so we'll keep working on him day-to-day."

On the injury to safety Kyle Hamilton:
    "He was cleared. He came back in the game and played after he was evaluated for a brachial plexus stinger, that kind of injury."

On foot injury to receiver Javon McKinley:
    "We will have a better sense of him today. He's out of the boot. We'll run him today, get a sense. He was on the Alter G at a percentage that allows us to begin to run him, and then I think we'll probably get a better sense Tuesday, Wednesday."

5. Terry O'Keefe

Irish Mens Soccer is in the NCAA again. The ACC sent 10 of it's 12 soccer programs to the NCAA tournament. Only Duke and North Carolina did not get invites.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Terry O'Keefe

The Fighting Irish Women fell out of the AP Top 25 on Monday for the first time since the end of the 2006-07 season, stopping a streak of 234 consecutive weeks being ranked. It was the third longest active streak behind UConn's (492) and Baylor's (302).

Tenn Lady Vols hold the all-time record at 565 weeks.

7. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

well we lucked out and found a way to beat Navy but there is no way ND will beat BC, Fredo is out for our ass and.....Okay, just kidding, truth is simple here. We will win and we will do it in Notre Dame Stadium and not that hell-hole of a place Fredo calls their home field. The one with the great students who like to throw batteries and beer cans and whatever else they can get there little hands and throw at the ND players. No, I'm not exaggerating either. Irish fans know this to be true. Anyway, this ain't 1993 and it isn't 2001 - 2008. Those days are long gone(but no forgotten). So pack up your bags Fredo, get on the plane and get over to South Bend this weekend, enjoy the stay cause the ride home will be a long one trying to forget you just got handed your butt. Can't wait to see you!

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. Terry O'Keefe

Kelly on why Book is playing better. Sort of distills down to we realized our approach to coaching him was wrong so we changed it. Is that kudo's for adapting or WTF for not figuring it out sooner?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Terry O'Keefe

Another thing to think about regarding Book, is that if he continues to play well in these last 2 games and the bowl game he will be the QB next year as he's already said he's coming back for his 5th year. So what happens to Jurkovec? If he transfers he's not playing next year anyway, so would he sit behind Book again for the opportunity to be the starter in 2021 and 2022 (if he stayed 5 years)? In the old days it would have made sense, he's already invested 2 years in learning the offense, and if he leaves he has no guarantee that he'll start where ever he lands ( as Wimbush and Zaire found out).

I hope he stays, from things that I read he still has a ways to go to be the QB who people expected him to be when he arrived on campus. Like everybody else I really wish that he'd been given more of an opportunity to run the full offense in the Navy game. I don't know how the BC or Stanford games will turn out of course, but I hope they turn out to where he has that opportunity.

I would expect that if he is going to leave, that he will enter the Transfer Portal after the Stanford game and won't be available for the Bowl game.

10. Terry O'Keefe

Irish are 18 point favorites vs BC this Saturday.

11. Terry O'Keefe

So you won't have to listen to Doug Flutie if you don't want to listen to him this Sat.

There is going to be an alternate broadcast on NBCSN using the Irish Radio Team to call the game using the NBC video feed. Also no commercials , instead there will be a panel who will talk about the game, no word on who that panel will be though.

Hansen: Non-sellout streak extended vs. BC, but more TV options for Notre Dame football

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

I just read that the team will be wearing uniforms to honor the 88 championship team. I wonder just how different they will actually be?

13. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  14. Terry O'Keefe

They have them up at und.com. They are nice looking and really not much different from current home uniforms.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  15. Terry O'Keefe

An interesting stat pointed out by a writer at Irish Sports Daily.

16. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Terry O'Keefe

I like her a lot!

[​IMG]

18. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Can you imagine his roommates! That's your MOM?????

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

Oh Gip, that reminds me. Your blog post was been making the rounds on all of the ND facebook groups. Just thought you should know that it is receiving tons of praise.

20. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Thanks Corey. It's a story I always wanted to tell and the reunion gave me a great opportunity. If you followed ND Nation years ago you might remember a poster named Bergen. The was the user name and daughter of Denny Nigro who was my partner in organizing the run.

• Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2019