Week 13 College Football.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Tues game this week..whooopee.
    Wed game this week...whoopee
    Thursday game
    NC State at Ga.Tech ...two teams not going bowling finishing up the season.
    Friday Game
    Col.State at Wyoming...Wyoming Bowl Eligible, CSU headed home for the holidays.

Saturday ...not so many big games this week.

1. LSU vs Ark ...Hogs are woeful and have fired their HC, an now rudderless. Tigers can name the score.
    2. Ohio State vs Penn State....the big game of the week. Ohio State has been crushing the opponents, and Penn State has been playing most of their recent opponents close, the loss to Minn was a close loss at the end. Penn State is clearly the best team so far on the Buckeyes schedule, they are a good team, and the last few years this game has been close and had some controversial calls/plays. If the Buckeyes bring their A game PSU has no chance.

3. Clemson....bye

4. Georgia vs Texas A&M ...Aggies could be the ultimate spoiler with this game and the final against LSU. Georgia defense though is likely to be too much for A&M. But as Lee Corso would say...Closer than the experts think!

5. Alabama vs W.Carolina. Mac Jones gets a warmup before Auburn. i have to assume that Tua's little brother gets in this game once it gets out of hand even though Jones could use the reps. No way Saban risks Jones to get him more reps once the game is out of hand.

6. Oregon vs Arizona State ...Sun Devils not very good, the Ducks should handle them easily but the again need to win with some style points to keep their arrow pointed up towards the CFP.

7. Utah vs Arizona ...Wildcats not even as good as ASU, like the Ducks the Utes need to pour on the style points.

8. Oklahoma vs TCU ...not a great Frog team this year, but good enough to play a lot of close games and to beat Texas. OU has had a lot of close games this year. Their defense is just not a very good defense. Alex Grinch is going to need a couple of recruting classes to get them playing great defense. But Jalen Hurts is going to do his thing and will the Sooners to the win again.

9. Penn State at Ohio State

10. Florida ...Bye.

Other games.

Minn at Northwestern ...Gophers should roll in this one, one of the worst Northwestern teams in years. They just have no offense. Gophers just need to keep winning so they get to the Title game.

Illinois at Iowa...all about bowl position. Illinois having it's best season in a long time, Lovie is sleeping well at night. Iowa a tough place to win at for the Illini.

Oklahoma State at West Virginia ...would take a lot of cazy bounces for the Cowboys to get to the B12 Championship game, but this is a good warmup for the Bedlam next week. Cowboys have the best RB in the country in Chubba Hubbard who could end up with 2,000 yards this year, their young QB Spencer Sanders is really a good young QB to watch. WVA likely to be staying home for the Holidays. Not an esp great 1st year ro Troy Brown.

Boston College at Notre Dame....see topic

Texas at Baylor ...so next to the PSU/OSU game this is probably the biggest game of the week. Both programs coming off losses, Texas loss has 'horn fans questioning Tom Herman, a loss to Baylor this weekend will make for a very uncomfortable off season and likely a half full stadium on Thanksgiving weekend for Texas Tech. Baylor on the other hand wants another shot at OU, and while they'd have to lose both of their last 2 games, they always want to beat Texas. Truthfully this is a save the season game for the Longhorns. All the original goals are gone, but we need to beat Baylor.

Michigan at Indiana. One of IU's better teams in awhile, they kept up with Penn State for a lot of that game and forced the Nits to scramble at the end to beat them. But UM is playing right now like the team that UM fans thought they would be before the season started. I imagine the Wolverines will look to bury the Hoosiers and get themselves ready for the Buckeyes. Can UM still end up in the Rose Bowl?

SMU at Navy ...Mids coming off a pounding in South Bend but still have everything to play for with regards to the AAC. Right now SMU, Memphis and Navy are all sitting at 5-1 in the AAC West. So this game means a lot for both teams. It's the Air Raid vs the Ground Pounders.

Purdue at Wisconsin ...This season hasn't gone the way Purdue thought it would and Wisconsin after starting so strong and being in the conversation for the CFP is now scrambling for the Big 10 West. They are 1 game back of Minn and they play them next week, so they can't stumble against the Boilermakers...I doubt they will.

Memphis at South Florida...USF going nowhere but as I mentioned the AAC West is a 3 way tie right now, so a big game for Memphis. Must win...they have a tough final game vs Cincinnati who is undefeated and leads the AAC East.

CAL at Stanford ...The Big Game! It is for those two teams but Stanford esp has struggled all year, injuries, etc. CAL had some promise early on but they also had injuries, I think they lost their starting QB. The way Stanfords fan don't support their football program even though this is the game...I wonder if they'll fill the stadium?

Kansas State at Texas Tech.. KSU is already bowl qualified so the season for Chris Klieman is a success, winning out would be cherry on top. Tech has to win out to be bowl eligible. I don't know which place is worst to play late in the season, Lubbock or Manhattan Kansas. :)

Tenn at Missouri...OK so after losing to Ga.State and then BYU who had Tenn even winning another game, that seemed to be a program that was headed straight down, a couple of players quit, it looked bad. But credit to Jeremey Pruitt that guy has gotten things turned a bit and they could finish 7-5 with wins over Missouri and Vandy. Missouri seems a bit of a mess right now losing their last 4. Hasn't turned out great for Kelly Bryant. I don't follow Missouri but I guess the one thing he wanted was to be the starting QB and show what he could do, so there is that.

Joe Burrow has to monumentally screw up to not win the Heisman...the only drama is who will be invited to watch him win. Jalen, Tua, Justin? The three J's? What will Joe's reward be...wearing a Cincinnati Bengals helmet next year in his home state of Ohio! :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Terry O'Keefe

Coaching carousel should be firing up full time soon. Arkansas and FSU are already in the market who else?

Michigan State? Dantonio is due a lot of respect for the body of work in general. But they are 24-24 since the blowout loss to Alabama in the 2015 playoffs. You have to wonder if he'll be back.

USC? It's been a forgone conclusion that Clay Helton was dead coach walking this season. He could end up winning the Pac12 South if Utah stumbles (unlikely) because USC holds the tie breaker over the Utes....that makes it tough to fire him. But USC alums still want Urban Meyer, and this is their best shot at him.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

So Baylor vs unranked Texas to see who can be 3rd in the BigXII is the second biggest game of the week?
    Hmmm...
    :cool:
    Must be huge in that sliver of central Texas.
    :D

• Funny Funny x 3
  4. Terry O'Keefe

It is possible that I let my personal bias slip in there a little bit! ;);)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

Yeah...and huge game in MD Sat....NU Has to win the next 2 games to be bowl eligible!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Terry O'Keefe

Huskers should beat Maryland like a drum! I recommend 25 confidence points on Neb!

7. Terry O'Keefe

Scooby Carter, Alabama freshman CB, has entered the portal. He was a 4 star top 100 player from Texas, he was #9 at his position nationally.

Michael Divinity, the LSU DL, who left the program a couple of weeks ago for 'personal reasons' is back with the team. No word on whether he'll play this year or is just back with the team.

8. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Rumors say the Scoob was suspended for not finding his way to class often enough.
    Whoever takes him is probably getting some headaches to work through.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Yeah, he had been suspended for the Miss. St. game for skipping classes and apparently there had been other problems.

• Like Like x 1
  10. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

Your right Doc!...I'm gonna go out on a limb this week!

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Terry O'Keefe

Minnesota will likely be without their starting QB v Northwestern. Doubt if it makes much of a difference Northwestern is that bad this year.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Terry O'Keefe

Jeff Barker is an Austin CBS Sports guy, who does weekly picks against the spread.

Barker Pick: Oklahoma State -7 at West Virginia

Jeff says: Oklahoma State is playing great defense on this current 3-game win streak, holding opponents (Iowa State, TCU, Kansas) to under 27 points. If it weren’t for the Mountaineers upset win, I think this spread would be in the double digits. I’ll ride with The Mullet.

Barker Pick: Georgia -13.5 vs. Texas A&M

Jeff says: Georgia is coming off an emotional 21-14 road win over Auburn, a game they led 21-0 heading into the 4th quarter. Some might see this as a bit of a letdown spot, but even at #4 in the latest CFP Rankings, the Dawgs have plenty to prove and style points always matter.

Barker Pick: Indiana +9 vs. Michigan

Jeff says: Indiana hung with Penn State on the road. Hoosiers QB Peyton Ramsey is named after Peyton Manning. Hope he slings it like him on Saturday. Give me IU and the points with Harbaugh’s crew peeking ahead at the Buckeyes.

Barker Pick: SMU +3.5 at Navy

Jeff says: Playing service academies is always tough, but SMU had an extra week to prepare for Navy’s option attack. On the other side, I think Shane Buechele and the nation’s 6th ranked offense in points per game (45.1) and yards per game (522.1) push SMU past Navy in a close one.

Minnesota -14.5 at Northwestern

Although their shot at the playoffs might be out of reach, Minnesota is still a good football team, and Northwestern is definitely not a good football team this season. They’ve lost in a variety of ways, close to Nebraska, blown out by Ohio State, handled by Iowa, and you’ll be able to add didn’t cover the spread versus Minnesota soon.

USC -14.0 vs. UCLA

Though Jeff graduated from UT with me in 2016, he grew up cheering for the Trojans. I’m not sure of his opinion on Clay Helton, but I think for this game USC has it rolling enough to defeat the in-town rival.

Tennessee +4.0 at Missouri

This is a battle for bowl eligibility (although Missouri can’t go to a bowl this year). Mizzou is coming off a 0-2 stretch versus the SEC East’s only good teams in Florida and Georgia. Tennessee is on a little bit of a streak, and a bowl game might make people think Jeremy Pruitt isn’t so bad after all.

13. Terry O'Keefe

On Mac Jones and Tua...

It will be interesting to see how the NFL views Tua, he's won't be able to go to the combine or even have a Pro Day if he's only beginning to throw this spring. The NFL draft is late April. So they will have to go on his college resume. This is similar to Jaylon Smith, the Irish LB who was severely injured in the bowl game vs Ohio State. It definitely cost Jaylon who was a high 1st round pick before that injury and the Cowboys took a chance on him in the 2nd round. Tua was considered a high NFL draft pick, but with both ankles being operated on and now the hip, and not being able to know about his full recovery before the draft. Will teams be willing to risk a high draft pick on him.

14. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

If i were an NFL General manager, I would be on the cautious side. A lot of risk in drafting Tua in top three rounds. You are dealing with an unknown situation. It has nothing to do with his past career.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

the SC UCLA game is normally not good for those who like to bet on the games. Bad GLB teams have won against much better USC teams in the past.

16. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

I guess ESPN college game day in Columbus could be very interesting this week. The University , I hear, is asking everyone to boycott the event while FOX Sports is also there and Urban Meyer has encouraged everyone to go to their set and he will be there. Supposedly the Buckeyes feel ESPN slights them in favor of SEC teams. No kidding? Join the club.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Terry O'Keefe

Is this the first time that the Fox guys and the ESPN Gameday crew have ended up at the same game?

18. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

I don't know, but I hope they have a fist fight to settle the score on who we will all watch on Saturday mornings. There can be only one!!

Between Urban and Reggie, my money is on Fox.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Yes, this could prove to be interesting.

20. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Ha! I usually turn on the TV at kick off time on Saturday morning. I do watch to see what head Corso puts on. The rest of it is kind of silly.

• Like Like x 1