Notre Dame vs New Mexico.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Pat Drexel folks...my brother in law who has been on many a ND trip with me!

The game ends 66-14, we had a lot of big plays on offense but continued to struggle with the run game. I hope Pat is right that we are holding something back for Georgia!

It was good to see the young speedster Braden Lenzy show his stuff that was a great catch on the long ball from Phil Jurkovec. Who btw I was surprised only got 1 series.

How about Javon McKinley, what a performance from a kid who back in March was in deep trouble and I doubted he'd even continue at ND. He was highly rated coming out of HS, but hadn't done much till today. Welcome to the team Javon!

Defense who held them to 7 points before the scrubs went into the game in the 4th, still has a way to go. It was great we had 3 picks, but I still can't get past that we gave up over 200 yds rushing. That'll be 400 yds to a team like Georgia.

But it was a good win, just not a great win in spite of the score.

2. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Now that's patience

3. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

. (My first post after 20 years of lurking.) Really enjoy this crew.[/QUOTE]

Welcome aboard Pat even if you are related via marriage to Terry!;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

First of all, a much better game by Bilal who made a few really good plays today. I also thought Daelin Hayes had a very good game on defense. We haven't had a field stretcher since Will Fuller. McKinley does have height and strong looking hands. He and Claypool may not run by D backs but they can play over them. I thought special teams were good today. Pass protection was decent, run blocking wasn't. TV guys seem to think we have a good O line. OK, I'll bite....why?

5. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I wonder if George took his own advice.

Welcome, Pat. If you've been lurking for 20 years, you know what a raucous band of misfits we are. Yet you joined anyway. Brave guy.

I'm not concerned about our O-line. I'm not concerned about Georgia. I'm not predicting anything, but I'm confident we'll show up and play a hard-nosed, competitive game.

• Like Like x 1
  6. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard Pat!!

Oh, I agree with Sid btw! :)

7. IrishCorey

Last note about this week. People wanted a blow out and we got it. We wanted to see the younger kids and we got it. Next week, we go to Georgia where they have expanded Sanford Stadium just for the ND game. Should be hostile, but I'm hoping a few of the lads managed to procure some tickets. I will be glad the game isn't on NBC. I can't take one more minute of that stupid vertigo cam they are using this season.

8. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

Quick thought. With all due respect, Brendon Clark is our backup QB, not Jurkovec.

• Like Like x 1
  9. IrishCorey

I think it's tough to say based upon the limited view we got. If anything, I was excited about what I saw with the freshman. Jurk threw a nice deep ball though.

10. Terry O'Keefe

I was surprised to see Clark come in to finish the game. I thought Phil deserved to finish the game. Clark looked ok but at that point in the game you really can't say much. That TD pass he threw, I was like.. really? How did that happen?
    But as a true freshman it was nice to get him some live reps with out costing him a year of eligibility.

11. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

Even for a very brief appearance I thought he looked like a capable backup, other than the long pass from Jurkovec still not so much.

12. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

If you want to develop legitimate depth and you have solid freshmen, which we have, everybody should get to play in situations like yesterday, even the 3rd string freshman QB. The new 4-game rule allows us to do that. IMO it makes perfect sense - when we can - to take full advantage of it for every position.

• Like Like x 2
  13. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

I did !

14. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

We have the worst broadcasters in football. From Tarico who hates the school to some moron who took every opportunity to warn how badly the Irish will be slaughtered in Georgia. Only Flutie made an attempt at real analysis. They were almost as bad as the New York morons who did the Dodgers-Mets game on Sunday night. ARod is a cheater and an embarrassment and the girl seems to know more about baseball than the other two. Her honesty and competence seemed out of place with the other bozos...

I'm amazed at the speed and skill of our true freshmen at several positions. Georgia on the road will be a good test for them...

I'm also looking forward to watching the OL against this great Georgia DL. We're going to find out what our offense really looks like...

You know Irish fans are spoiled when they complain about scoring "only" 66 points. Some are whining about Ian Book and all he did was throw 5 TD passes and run for another TD in just 2 1/2 qtrs...

• Like Like x 1
  15. Don Ballard

Jim, many football fans, who never played the game, can be the most unrealistic and troublesome!o_O

• Like Like x 1
  16. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

Don, I agree. Everything about football is hard and winning football games is even harder.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Terry O'Keefe

Well expanding might be a little over stated. From the article that I read it appeared to be a deal that was cooked up back in 2017 when the Irish agreed to give UGA 8K tickets if they got 8K tickets in return. Georgia agreed knowing that they only had 7500 seats available for visitors, so the now have to add 500 seats to the stadium to handle the 8k tickets they gave us in the visitors allotment. Because of that it will be the largest crowd ever to see a UGA football game in Athens.

18. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Imagine if we were relevant.

• Winner Winner x 2
  19. Don Ballard

Playing Georgia so early in the schedule certainly is not to Notre Dame's advantage. I am looking forward to the game. Notre Dame will have to have their A game in effect to win. I see the spread has dropped from 14 to 12 1/2 points in Vegas for the Bulldogs.

20. Terry O'Keefe

Don, I'm a little surprised that the spread has come down.