Media Days

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

We had a bunch of College Football Media days last couple of weeks. Not a lot of stuff ever comes out of these things.

But the B12 announced a Digital partnership with ESPN+ to show pretty much every B12 sport. I don't think it's going to have a lot of impact on football, as most games are televised, basketball gets a lot of games televised but also a lot of games that aren't so those will be available now. Baseball/Softball will have tremendous increase in exposure. Streaming content is probably the future.

The ACC talked a lot about the ACCN that comes on this fall, it'll be great again mostly for those football games that don't get picked up because nobody is really interested other than the two schools involved. It will of course increase the basketball/baseball/softball available. Other minor sports will benefit. The key factor will be of course does your cable provider carry it.

Mini feud between Baker Mayfield and Sam Ehlinger over old High School Rivalry. I'll give Baker Mayfield credit, he's a great player, but he's a prick IMHO. I've never heard a Pro player who never even played against a college kid at any level just go off on him.

In the Big Ten it seemed to be dominated by a few comments that Jim Harbaugh made about Urban Meyer and his thoughts about the Portal. I'm not sure why he felt it necessary to even talk about Urban who is no longer coaching, but his comments on the Portal were something I pretty much agreed with his position.

I miss Steve Spurrier ...he'd make Media days fun again.

I thought it sort of Funny some of the player trolling though. Some Clemson OL said he thought Alabama wasn't the best team they played, that would be Notre Dame. Then an Alabama player said something about in spite of the loss he thought Alabama was the better team. Just trolling!

Oklahoma and Clemson are overwhelming media picks for their conference titles, and So is Alabama in the SEC. Big 10 seems to think this is Michigan's year.

Pac 12 Media days start this Wed.

2. Terry O'Keefe

Oh yeah the best rule change in terms of enforcement is that players can't do the Horns down at Texas players. The B12 refs say if you do it over behind your bench fine, but do it on the field and you'll get an unsportsmanlike penalty. Finally!!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Terry O'Keefe

Pat Fitzgerald got some publicity on his comments on the decline in attendance in college. He thinks it's social media. I know at Texas students were showing up late because the poor wifi at the stadium meant they were cut off from their friends. Same for leaving early as well. I think that is an issue around the country. Plus it's gotten expensive to go to college games, esp if you are out of town. Hotels jack up the prices for football weekends, the tickets are expensive, and the games are longer due to all the commercials that TV needs.

4. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

ND is selling single game tickets. Demand must continue to decline.

5. Terry O'Keefe

At ND there has been significant increases in ticket prices and increased costs for season ticket holders. I've heard stories about families who have had season tickets since the 40's who gave them up because they were too expensive. At one time ND would go after people who would sell their tickets on ebay and if they can catch them they were banned from buying tickets, now ND has partnered with Vivid Tickets and has become part of the process of being involved in the secondary ticket market. I just wonder when the day will come that ND's sellout streak will be over. Lots of grumbling amongst fans over games with New Mexico and Bowling Green.

At Texas last year they had 6 home games, but 3 did not sellout. I know on Texas boards people talk about not wanting to go see teams like La.Tech who they play this year to open the season, of course Texas has a 100K + tickets to sell to boot. When you can sit comfortably at home with your Big Screen HDTV and watch the game, why pay high dollar and go to all the trouble of travel, hotel, etc when it's La.Tech.

6. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

I got tickets to OSU-Wisconsin and Purdue-Maryland (homecoming....my 45th) this year. Purdue tix (pretty good seats) were $90 each. OSU tix (nosebleed section) with the tiered pricing were $170 each.

7. Terry O'Keefe

170$ for nosebleeds. So if you're taking the wife, and 2 kids you have almost 700$ invested. I think that is a big problem. Not so much for big time programs like Ohio State, who have very rabid fan bases and are having great runs of success. But other programs not so successful big problem.

8. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Alabama has packages and single game tickets available too. New Mexico State combined with LSU and either Ole Miss or Arkansas is one package for about $400 apiece. I have a 2 hr. drive to Tuscaloosa. As I get older I want to leave my easy chair on Saturdays less and less.

9. Terry O'Keefe

Cost of season tickets at ND comes with a version of the PSL that the Pro's use. I don't know when they started doing that to tell you the truth. In every case your "Annual Membership" costs more than your actual seat.

[​IMG]

10. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

For the big college programs, I think their plan is to skin the golden goose fan base before they kill it.

11. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I think I’ve mentioned this before but Swarbrick has a difficult scheduling problem. We play Navy, SC, and Stanford home and home. We’re committed to 5 ACC games a season. We usually play two top teams (this season Ga. and M) on a home and home deal which leaves only 2 games to work out home only or 2 for one deals. That’s where NM and Bowling Green come in. It’s a reality.

12. Terry O'Keefe

As we enter the fall camps the recruiting rankings on the 247 composite are ..
    1. Clemson
    2. Alabama
    3. Ohio State
    4. LSU...Eddie O loading up on talent. Can he coach it.
    5. Notre Dame...Irish at 17 verbals and not much room for more, I expect us to drop as others add more
    6. Georgia ..Smart has done so well, I expect them to jump the Irish eventually with numbers.
    7. Miami
    8. Michigan
    9. Fla
    10. Texas A&M

Both Fla and A&M numbers are low, I'd expect that they will be able to add more players and move up.
    Texas numbers are way down right now with only 11 verbals, not exactly sure of the strategy that Herman is using, his first 2 classes were great. We have some really good players in our class with our QB maybe being one of the top in Nation. But in recruiting rankings numbers matter. If you want to be a top 10 class you'll have to have more than 20 players. This is why the Irish will drop as we just don't have the room to put in 22-25 players that it usually takes to end up in the top 10.

Another thing about Clemson...they have 6 , yes 6, 5 stars in their class.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  13. Terry O'Keefe

Pac 12 Media day's start today. Washington and Oregon likely the media's choice to win the Championship.

To me the interest will be can Clay Helton turn around USC, he has a lot of talent but he's probably on a very short rope after last year.

Then there is Chip Kelly over at UCLA, his recruiting wasn't good in 2019, he brought in no 5 stars and only 1 4 star finishing #40 and he's not doing much better in the rankings this year only has 7 verbals at this point ranked down in the 80's. But he did beat USC and finished 3-9. Doubt if he's on the hot seat like his cross town rival Clay Helton. But I would think he needs to make some significant strides this year.

Also I think everybody acknowledges that David Shaw is one of the best coaches in college football, Stanford last year wasn't one of his best teams, but they still finished 9-4 winning the Sun Bowl. He's got a returning vet at QB and the team will be well coached and play tough hard nosed football, but he's got a tough schedule being in the Pac12 N and also having to play the Irish.

Big question will be can the Pac 12 produce a CFP team this year, everybody I listen to says no that they are unlikely to do so. Critical game for the conference is Oregon traveling to Auburn Labor Day weekend.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  14. Terry O'Keefe

Saban on the Alabama non-conf schedule. Said he wished Power 5 teams would agree to only playing each other, or maybe that the SEC would expand the conference schedule. He said that the biggest problem with scheduling for Alabama is that many Power 5 teams do not want to do a home/home schedule with Alabama which is why he's gone to the Neutral Site games. He didn't mention it but he does have home/home with Notre Dame but it's not till 2028/29 and they also have home/home with Texas that will be in 2022/23.

15. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Terry, I think he did mention that there were a couple of exceptions to the one and done matchups. He has long campaigned for 9 conference games but not everyone in the conference agrees.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Terry O'Keefe

Tide added Wisconsin.

Alabama Power 5 Opponents, 2022 and Beyond:
    2022: at Texas
    2023: vs. Texas
    2024: at Wisconsin
    2025: vs. Wisconsin
    2026: at West Virginia
    2027: vs. West Virginia
    2028: at Notre Dame
    2029: vs. Notre Dame
    2030: TBD
    2031: TBD
    2032: at Oklahoma
    2033: vs. Oklahoma

17. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

Wiscy may be the one fan base that can out drink the Tide.

18. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Don't forget Kesley's Coug fans. Those folks are professionals!

19. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

Ahh I was speaking of teams on their schedule. There's no doubt that the Cougs are professional drinkers.

20. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Interesting that each matchup Alabama plays away in the first game. I wonder why?