2019 NCAA Baseball Tournament

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Don Ballard, May 27, 2019.

1. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

We were very fortunate to beat the Wolverines two games in the Big Ten Tournament!

2. Don Ballard

I am not an Arkansas fan, but the way they lost that game last night to Florida State would be hard to swallow!:(

3. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

Along those lines, Auburn just invented a way to lose a baseball game to Miss State. They saved their best pitcher's arm through the entire SEC Tournament and instead of using him as a starter, they planned on using him as a closer. They brought him in and Auburn literally threw the game away. His name is Tanner Burns and he's one of my son's best friends. I've seen a lot of loved ones succeed and fail in between the stripes on game day, but that was very difficult to watch. My heart really goes out to him and it's also painfully obvious that the Auburn staff is rushing his comeback, although he routinely hit 93 to 95 on the gun.

4. Don Ballard

Texas Tech eliminates Arkansas and Michigan shuts down FSU with superb pitching effort by Tommy Henry.

5. IrishCorey

Michigan has played this out perfectly. They don't have 17 arms to come out of the losers bracket at this level. Now they sit back and let everyone else slug it out. When does that kid from Vanderbilt throw again? The guy who threw the first no hitter in the history of the Super Regionals/Regional competition? That kid is, I believe Tracy Rocker's son, and he pitches the way his dad played defense. He's an old school nasty left handed sophomore who attacks the strike zone.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  6. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Rain...and apparently the controversy of the tourney will be when they kick out a Vanderbilt fan who is known as the Whistler. He apparently irritates the hell out of fans around him who are not Vandy fans with his whistling. While I don't know about this guy, I know I get tired of sitting around obnoxious fans even if they are rooting for my team, always up and screaming at the umps/refs, the opposing team, name calling, etc. Gets really old to me.

7. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

You want I should go see this guy Doc?

• Like Like x 1
  8. IrishCorey

There isn't one whistler, there are two of them and they are pretty popular among Vandy fans. I still hear plenty of cowbells when State plays.. although I heard less of them when Vandy won.

9. IrishCorey

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Don Ballard

Coach Martin had a great run at FSU, but winning 30 games a season, but could never quite make it to the grand prize, the College World Series title. Looks like another battle looming between Texas Tech and Michigan Friday.

11. IrishCorey

I believe Vandy and Michigan are the two unbeaten teams left after the first 2 rounds. Today, you have once beaten State playing once beaten Louisville for the right to play undefeated Vandy and try to beat them twice. In the other bracket, it's set, that once beaten Texas Tech will play undefeated Michigan. Tech would have to win twice to move on.

Basically, the upside to being an unbeaten at this point in time is that you're penciling in your #3 starter where the other teams are using their 4th or 5th. After that, you have an 'all in' scenario in which (if both once beaten teams win) that the Michigan and Vandy will be able to use their starters and then STAFF behind them.

The actual final is a best of 3 and the rotation will usually take on the form of who is left... unless you've got a lot of arms. Vandy has a lot of arms. Michigan has a fair amount of arms, but they hit, run and pick it well.

Historically, Louisville usually finds a way to lose at this junction while Miss State is like a coackroach, impossible to kill. The key factor for me is to watch and see if Michigan goes 3-0. This would leave them with a fresh turnover of their staff to face Vanderbilt, who figures to win the other bracket.

12. Don Ballard

I would love to see Michigan meet Vandy for the final series!

13. Terry O'Keefe

Would have to go with Texas Tech v Louisville. TT to win it all.

14. Don Ballard

Corey, the cockroaches failed to win this time. Louisville win 4-3 in the bottom of the 9th inning.;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. IrishCorey

Don,
    I kept shaking my head the whole game because you just can't kill them.. I'm happy for Louisville. The bad news is that Miss State is made up almost entirely of sophomores.

16. Don Ballard

@Terry O'Keefe looks like Terry has a chance of seeing Louisville and Texas Tech in the finals, assuming Texas Tech can beat Michigan.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Terry O'Keefe

Don, Texas Tech and Louisville are two schools I struggle to root for, but the alternative is a SEC team and Michigan! :cool::rolleyes:o_O

18. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

19. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Very impressed by Michigan's defense and heads up at the plate in their 15-3 romp over Texas Tech. The clean up hitter, Kerr, who had 2 HR in the game, batted against a LH shift. One time up, he laid a perfect drag bunt down the 3b line, and he could've walked to 1b. How many clean up hitters at any level could and would do that to help their team win? Not surprised the MI coach is Coach of the Year.

They now have 3 days off before the final series. Can't believe I'm saying this. G-G-G-Go Blue! :eek:

20. Don Ballard

The success that Michigan is having at the moment will test Vanderbilt! The Wolverines are on a mission and I hope they can win the College World Series! Go Blue!:)