OHIO STATE

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Don Ballard, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Don, I wonder as well. I would think if his health issues regarding that brain cyst are made worse by a high stress job like coaching, why would he get back into to coaching. USC is a monster waiting for the right person, like a Pete Carroll, to reawaken their program. There is as always a ton of talent in So.Cal and it all for the most part has USC as their boyhood choice. A guy like Urban who absolutely knows how to build a program through recruiting would do extremely well at USC.

I'm not sure if you are saying that Urban was a part of the problem with QB depth, but I don't believe he was, it's endemic all around college football. Nick Saban had a lot of QB transfers over the last 4 or 5 years. It's the one position where if you aren't the starter you're not getting on the field. So they leave, more now than ever. While you have 6 guys in the QB room now, you can't keep them all happy and in fact you can't really work with more than 3 guys and the 4th, 5th or 6th guy is going to have to be happy with the scout team work.

2. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

I see that Ohio State sex scandal has popped up again. Man, that looks really ugly.

3. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Corey, yes and it is going to be very costly in financial settlements. You wonder why these things are never taken seriously? Numerous individuals high in the chain of command had opportunities to respond but the system failed the students who suffered. No excuses on my part.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Terry O'Keefe

It's the nature of big institutions to protect themselves. That's the problem with the Catholic Church, they knew, they could've done something but they chose to protect themselves and hope the problem would go away quietly. Never works.

• Like Like x 1
  5. IrishCorey

Don't get me wrong. I'm not throwing stones. I just read the report and wondered what the hell anyone was thinking. I mean, how don't you just go down the hall and kick his ass if you really believe that's going on? I dunno.. people do stupid stuff.

6. Terry O'Keefe

I have to add do you think this situation is unique to OSU?

Bet it isn't, but unless people come forward it will seem like it.

7. IrishCorey

Nope. Not at all. Obviously, on a much smaller scale, I've experienced things like this. When I coached at Ontario HS, one of their 'favorite' ex-assistants in baseball (and school alumni) had gone on to become a very successful college women's hoops coach. He started coaching girls basketball at Ontario HS. He dumped his first wife for one of his former players. They swear it was on the up and up, and he did have to leave Ontario HS after that, but when I first heard the story I called ********.

It should be mentioned that he dumped that wife for another former player who had played for him in college. I think the dude was a predator and he found a 'sweet spot' between legality and criminal activity in which everyone was comfortable accepting his behavior. I thought it was ******** then, I think it's ******** now. I let my views be known publicly. As JOCO can tell you, I'm a bit of a divisive character in Ontario lore. People there absolutely love me, or they hate me. Most of the hate stems from things that came out of my mouth. None of them untrue, just unpopular at the time.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Terry O'Keefe

Kind of like the gymnastics thing...it was just gymnastics, no freakin' way. It turned out that any sport that involved young girls was involved. They got swimmers, volleyball, basketball, etc. In each and every case people knew, but people had little empires to protect so they looked the other way and covered it up.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Don Ballard

Like you Terry, I do not think Ohio State is the only offender here.:(

• Like Like x 2
  10. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

"It happens elsewhere" is (of course) no excuse for the inexcusable.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Terry O'Keefe

No doubt.

12. Don Ballard

Some good news for Ohio State Julian Flemming has committed to the Buckeyes. He is a five-star wide receiver from Pennsylvania. (2020) That coupled with Garret Wilson another five-star receiver should give Justin Fields some serious looks.

13. Terry O'Keefe

Some have wondered if OSU recruiting would fall off now that Urban is gone, apparently not.

14. Don Ballard

Actually, Brian Hartline, receiver's coach has turned out to be an excellent recruiter. Being a former Buckeye and NFL player, certainly has helped as well. I think we will be fine.

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  15. Don Ballard

Buckeyes have received a commitment from Jake Seibert, Cincinnati LaSalle kicker for the 2020 year class. He is rated as a five star Kicker. Number 10 for the 2020 class.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  16. Don Ballard

Some good news for Buckeyes today with the commitment of four-star safety Lathan Ransom from Arizona. (#21 for 2020 class)) He received his offer from Ohio State on January 24 and chose the Buckeyes over Texas and Notre Dame.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  17. Terry O'Keefe

Great pick up Don, most ND gurus felt like we didn't have a real chance, but my Texas website thought at one point he'd be a Longhorn

18. Don Ballard

Ohio State is currently ranked # 2 behind Clemson in the recruiting wars. Alabama, LSU, and Notre Dame are all in the mix.

19. Terry O'Keefe

Ryan Day is certainly proving that there will be no drop off in recruiting at Ohio State after Urban!

20. Don Ballard

Ohio State will open football camp on August 2nd. Hotel check-in will be on Monday, August 5th. There will be fifteen practices prior to the start of classes on August 20th. The first game will be on August 31st at noon with Florida Atlantic University. GO Bucks!