Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'The Back Room' started by IrishCorey, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Actually... I did pick up on Varys talking to the girl about Dani not eating, and I figured he was setting up for possible poision, but I guess my hopeful nature overrode what he was saying and assumed it hadn't been tried yet.

A lot of folks definitely didn't get what they wanted. Watching the Hipster bar reactions were pretty funny.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

It just seems like this season was too short, like we needed 8 to 10 episodes to tie things up neatly. Too much time was wasted in ep 5 with Drogon blasting down all the buildings in Kings Landing and the people all running scared through the streets. Could have cut that by 2/3's.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

Where is Bronn the sell-sword? If Danny orders the dragon to incinerate John Snow, will he do it? Where does Arya go now? Are there any ships left? Was the iron throne destroyed?

• Like Like x 1
  4. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure Bronn is still somewhere in the North waiting for the result of the Final War. The rest are all really good questions and I gather that we'll get the answers this week... I hope.

5. IrishCorey

Now our watch has ended. Thoughts? It wasn't what I expected, but I can live with it and enjoyed it well enough.

6. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

It was pretty good in that it tied everything up...have a hard time imagining that Greyworm, the Unsullied, and the Dothraki are all fine with calling up a council of Westeros Lords to decide everything, let them pick a ruler, agree to let Jon go, and then just fade back off across the sea. Seems more likely that they would go all Drogon on Westeros.

When Jon walked in past Drogon to talk with Denarys I noticed that he not only had his sword buckled on (which is all he had on hand to hand over when he visited Tyrion), but also a dagger...and I thought "uh-oh."

When John gets to the gate at Castle Black and has that forlorn "I have no friends" look on his face, I thought that the next person he saw would be Tormond...and it was.

I thought the bit where Samwell suggests democracy for choosing the ruler was a bit silly.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Meh... I was pretty disappointed with the whole season. I'm still scratching my head over why some of the stuff was done, but oh well. The ending was pretty much how it had to go. I suppose a few more could have died (Jon, Tyrion), but otherwise that was just about the only path left other than continued all out war.
    I found it funny that suddenly there were as many Dothraki as crossed the sea, and the Unsullied seemed to be right up to full strength again?
    Seems doubtful that Jon would have lived to stand trial. He and Greyworm were at odds already... so I would have expected them to kill him as soon as they found Dani was dead. The queen ordered all enemies to be killed after all.

Just about the only thing I found "cool"... was Drogon melting the throne.

• Like Like x 1
  8. IrishCorey

Interesting enough, for those who didn't like the way it all panned out, I watched an interview with the shows two makers and they got the job via interview with George RR Martin. In the interview, he asked them 'How do you see the story ending?' and they gave their recount for what they believed how the story would play out. Martin said "That's exactly what I had in mind." and they had the job.

So I have a hard time feeling bad for people who don't like the heel turn by Dani (which had been coming forever) and the eventual ruler of the 6 kingdoms.

9. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

It was terrible. Nothing made sense. Even the dragon seemed confused.

• Like Like x 1
  10. IrishCorey

Since Jon was a Targaryan, I didn't think the dragon was going to eat him.

11. Terry O'Keefe

It did tie things up, not much else though. I thought Sansa would be Queen, but she instead went independent and is Queen of the North, seems right. I never saw Bran as the one who would end up with the slag heap the Iron Throne became. I wonder where Drogon took Dany and what happened to him. Not sure what else they could have done, it was the end after all.

• Like Like x 1
  12. IrishCorey

Well to make everyone happy, I read an interview yesterday from George RR Martin that said the books will be different. Is he sincere? Is it a marketing ploy? I don't know, but people will still run out to buy it.

13. Terry O'Keefe

They had 6 episodes to tie things up, he'll have 2 long books to do the same. From what I read he and the show runners talked about the season and they had similar ideas to what he had so that's what they went with for the final season. He'll be able to flesh out a lot more story than what we saw. Still will have to come to the end and people will have to ride off into the sunset.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Stu Ryckman

I'm not yet convinced that George RR Martin will live long enough to get the books written the way he has been going.

I'm not really complaining about the ending...but one other thing that I thought was hard to swallow was the reaction of the council to Sansa's declaration of independence. "Oh well okay...all the rest of us putzes will have our houses ruled over by the new king...while y'all Starks can stay independent in the north...Oh, wait! Our new king is a Stark as well...geez this is working out great...the rest of us can just enjoy our retirement!"

• Like Like x 2
  15. Terry O'Keefe

I read where the guy who played Jamie Lannister is floating the idea of a sequel following Arya's quest for what ever is west of Westros. Also some have floated ideas for a prequel. Maybe this will end up being like Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Stu Ryckman

17. IrishCorey

Yeah the prequel is already in development. I think an Arya spinoff would actually work. As for GoT, it's clear that the Stark family was the big winner in the end.

18. Terry O'Keefe

I'm sure a prequel or sequel will garner a lot of viewers initially, but with a prequel esp since the one I read about in Stu's link goes back way before the start of GoT, none of the characters will be familiar. At least in the prequel to Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, started with 1 character (Saul) and the same location just a few years before the beginning of Breaking Bad so you had continuity and then they were able to flesh out a lot of stuff that ended up in Breaking Bad. It's been great. But if they go back a thousand years and get into how the White Walkers came into being and stuff like that, it's really a whole new show.

• Like Like x 1
  19. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Thankfully, Doc did not give up his day job..

• Funny Funny x 2