4 teams that can dethrone/dislodge the Alabama/Clemson deathgrip

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Motorcity Gator, May 20, 2019.

1. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Texas has a lot of holes on defense to fill and while they do have a star QB returning, they are a long way from having the roster to compete with Clemson and Alabama. We do play LSU in Austin, so that is an opportunity for a big win, and of course we do play OU another opportunity for a big win.

Clemson and Alabama lost players like everybody in college does, but they have recruited so well that they have players who should be able to step into those positions with little or no drop off. Texas is not there yet. It would take some luck for the Longhorns to break through and compete for the Nat'l Title. Now if they beat LSU and OU, we absolutely could be in the hunt for slot in the CFP. After that who knows.

3. Terry O'Keefe

Looking at the rest of the list, I do think Georgia because of their incredible recruiting since Smart has been there probably has the roster to compete with Clemson and Alabama. LSU always seems to produce a lot of NFL players but their offense has kept them from being what they might. Eddie O is going to up tempo and spread offense this year. Joe Burrow will be in his 2nd year with LSU, and he's a solid qB but not Tua or Trevor. Plus I'm not a believer in Eddie O, although he's got an incredible 2020 recruiting class going right now.

I just don't know enough about Fla, Franks and the rest of them. Only thing I know is that recently a fiver star CB decided to leave because they were making him room with a scumbag who is now accused of sexual assault.

4. kp

kp Well-Known Member

There are several more teams that could challenge. Ohio State, Oklahoma come to mind. The problem for Alabama (and the contenders) is that three of the contenders are from the SEC. None are from the ACC.

5. Terry O'Keefe

Yeah the ACC right now is Clemson and the 7 dwarfs. In the past Miami and FSU were high level programs that even exceeded Clemson. But not right now.

6. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

100 days and less now towards the coming football season. I can hardly wait!:)

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

Terry you could be writing about Florida the way you describe Texas and their chances to break in to the top 4.
    Sure the Gators do play enough marquis games to do it.... and as the author mentions one of those would be Alabama the Gators would have to knock off in Atlanta. I think at RB and WR and who knows... possibly even at QB UF has the players to compete with the elite. But I have questions about the durability of the offensive line.
    I agree on Georgia.... rock solid talent.... but possibly a defensive minded coach who gets in the way of a win sometimes.