ND

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Tim Gentry, Nov 26, 2018.

1. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

This is the position in which I've always hated early recruits. Maybe it's different now with the early signing period, but I dunno..

2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Great start to 2021 !

He was injured as a Sophomore, but reportedly he was great as a freshman and has been a outstanding at all the camps. From what I read he was far and away the #1 target for the staff

3. Terry O'Keefe

Women cruise past UNC and will play Syracuse today, who upset Miami.

Irish Hockey gets past Mich State and now have 2 chances to eliminate them and move on to the semi finals.

Irish Men finish season on the road at Pitt in the battle to avoid last place in the ACC

4. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I read a very good article - IMO - about Scott Satterfield, the new Louisville head coach, who came from Appalachian State. The article was written by Bruce Feldman for The Athletic, which is a pay site. I'm posting the link below. If you can't access the article, I'll edit this post to include a brief summary. I consider it to be of interest to ND folks because the first game on next season's schedule is @ Louisville.
    At Louisville, a new coach, a new direction and a new tenor

5. Terry O'Keefe

Yeah have to be a member of that website to read the article. I have been thinking about joining as I have heard some good things about their coverage and articles.

Not surprised that somebody wrote a good article on Satterfield. He and the Troy coach Neal Brown were both considered this years rising stars that were ready for bigger jobs. Brown went to West Virginia and Satterfield of course went to Louisville.

I have to say that I just don't like Louisvillle, can't really give you a reason, but I don't. That said they have recovered nicely from all the scandals surrounding football (Petrino) and Basketball(Pitino) and hired two potentially really good coaches in Satterfield and Chris Mack in basketball.

Speaking of Basketball, Irish men lost to Pitt on the road to seal their fate as the occupant of last place in the ACC. I didn't see the game but reading and looking at the score it seems like our usual mode of losing, play close have your chances but never be able to close out a game and get the win.

Irish women beat Syracuse handily today to set up the ACC final with Louisville. These are 2 teams that don't really like each other. Ever since Walz has taken the Louisville job they have been a team that plays very rough, and then complains a lot about getting fouls. I'll never forget the mugging Louisville gave Brittany Griener one year when she was at Baylor. It was brutal. I expect they will go after the Irish in that same manner. They do have a great player in Asia Durr who is the ACC player of the year, again.

6. Terry O'Keefe

Irish women are ACC Tournament Champs! Solid win over Louisville. Secured one of the #1 seeds, most likely in the Chicago region .

Irish Hockey moved on to the semifinals with the 1-0 shutout of Mich State last night they face Minnesota at home in a single game elimination.

Minnesota has a 3-1 record against the Irish this season so they will be favored likely even at ND . Irish likely need to win to have a shot at the frozen 4

7. Terry O'Keefe

I see that Irish baseball won 2 out of 3 at Wake Forrest this past weekend. The winning run in the 3rd game came when according to one report I read, the WF catcher slipped on a bat when attempting to make a play at the plate and the winning run scored. I wonder how often that happens, I don't ever remember seeing a play like that.

8. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Men’s BB upset Ga. Tech. Fighting for a bid to the NCAA Tourney. Oh wait! That’s IU. Wrong Indiana team. Sorry. :confused::rolleyes::D

9. Terry O'Keefe

Sid,

Ga.Tech was all the Irish Men needed to get some game going. The last team we beat before our losing streak of 7 games started, yup Ga.Tech. Next up Loserville, but they will likely take their measure of the Irish.

10. Terry O'Keefe

Irish Hockey wins at home vs the Golden Gophers.. Took overtime and a questionable call giving the Irish a power play 30 seconds into OT, the freshman Grahmn scored the winner.

Lots of talk about the future of Irish women's star Jackie Young.. Will she stay or will she leave early for the WNBA. Of course the other 4 starters are out of eligibility. Next years team is going to be the least experienced team in a very long time even with her.

Unlike the men no huge payday awaits Jackie in the WNBA, but never the less I won't be surprised if she leaves especially if we are able to win the National Championship again .

11. Terry O'Keefe

Penn state took out Ohio state in Hockey and now face the Irish at Notre Dame for the Big 10 Hockey Championship next Sat. Winner will be in the Frozen 4, loser likely not.

12. Terry O'Keefe

Womens brackets will be announced tonight. It's a given that Baylor will be the #1 overall seed and the 2-3 will be UConn/ND or ND/UConn with Miss State #4. It's also expected that ND will be in the Chicago region.

13. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Punter and team co-captain Tyler Newsome bench pressed 30 reps at 225 lbs. on pro day. At the scouting combine, only 12 players recorded more than 30 reps and 11 were linemen. This is why he was a co-captain and was one of the senior leaders on the 2018 team.

14. Terry O'Keefe

That is a really good number, only Dru Tranquil did more at the combine amongst ND players. I looked up the record, and it's 51 by some kid from E.Kentucky who only played a year in the NFL.

15. Terry O'Keefe

Irish had their Pro Day yesterday and it doesn't sound like anybody really had one of those "wow" days, surprisingly Dexter Williams isn't fast as you might have thought watching him play last fall. At least if you go by his 40 times, also Julian Love reportedly had just a so so day. Love was at one point in the season being talked about as a 1st round draft pick, but his stock seems to be falling. It's looking like we'll have a couple of kids selected on the 1st day but none in the 1st round and it's iffy for the 2nd round at this point, might be nothing but 3 round players. We'll see though. Tranquil is the one guy who seems to have solidified himself as a draft prospect.

16. Terry O'Keefe

Women get back to the court tomorrow in the start of their quest for another Nat'l Championship, they play Bethune-Cookman then the winner of the Mich State/Central Mich game before moving to Chicago for the Regional. Note I'm getting ahead of myself there with the assumption they will win their first 2 games and move to the Sweet 16, but I'd be completely blown away if they didn't.

ND football Spring. As always things are rosy, Ian Book is showing leadership and that he's clearly the man to be beat and will be the starter. Phil Jurkovec is showing his arm strength and all those skills that made him highly recruited, some are saying that Kelly and Long should give Phil a real shot at being the starter as he has so much talent and can do things that Book can't do...maybe so but he's still got to learn the offense and all that stuff. I fully expect Book to be the starter, the question of course will be how much playing time will Kelly/Long give Phil this fall. Will it be like Dabo did with Trevor Lawrence? Lawrence played a certain amount and it wasn't only when Clemson was in front comfortably. Lawrence threw a TD pass in Clemson's first game on the road at Texas A&M a game that was close.

OL looks like they could be improved, Jarrett Patterson a RS Freshman has the starting center job for now as Trevor Rhuland is nicked up and recovering from some surgery. Lot's of kudos coming for him though. People are saying Tommy Kraemer who struggled last season, some due to injury issues, is looking like the AA they thought they would be getting when he was recruited. This is a big year for OL coach Quinn who a lot of people were pissed when Kelly hired him, he's an old buddy of Kelly's. One thing Quinn has done is that he's been a bear on the recruiting trail, the OL class he just brought in is one of our best in awhile. But last year he was criticized a lot for the play of the OL.

We lost Drew White to shoulder surgery, there are a lot of guys competing for the LB's slots and he was terrific as the designated option killer vs Navy last year, so this puts him behind. Kelly and Lea say there won't really be a depth chart a LB till mid August. Lots of young guys they are trying to figure out who fits where.

RB's both jafar armstrong and Tony jones are reportedly in shape and looking good. the freshman wiz kyrene williams is getting reps, he's got speed the others don't.

WR's lots of inexperience here, with Claypool and Finke being the vets and the rest of the guys having potential but not much playing time or in the case of Lenzy and Key's no playing time. Most comments I read say that Claypool could have a monster year if he wants it and works for it, apparently that work ethic has been an issue for Chase. He's got the talent.

Cole Kmet, Tommy Tremble and Brock Wright all should be very good at TE.

Biggest worry on defense is size and depth in the interior, we've got a lot of talent in the DE's but less so in the middle. Both Troy Pride and Houston Griffin are having solid springs at CB and the DB's could be very strong even without Julian Love.

But then this is spring ball.

17. Terry O'Keefe

Irish Hockey wins the Big 10 Hockey Tournament, defeated Penn State at home before a packed house. That was pretty much a must win game for the Irish. Now we are in the Frozen Four.

18. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Well done Terry! We certainly had the opportunity but sort of lost our momentum at seasons end.:(

• Like Like x 1
  19. Terry O'Keefe

Irish Women take on Michigan State tonight for the right to go to the Sweet 16. It will be a huge disappointment if we do not win, Michigan State was a middle of the pack Big 10 team.

Irish Hockey is in the Frozen Four travel to Manchester NH to play Clarkson in the 1st round, the upper part of that bracket is UMass and Harvard. Big 10 Hockey only got 2 teams in the Final 16, Ohio State and Notre Dame, last year 3 of the Final 4 were from Big 10 Hockey. Mich, ND, Ohio State.

I don't really follow College Hockey much, Bobda might be the only guy here that actually does follow college hockey. But this observation was made on ND Nation by somebody who follows it closely.

20. Terry O'Keefe

I really don't follow Fencing, but the Irish finished 3rd in the NCAA tourney this year after winning it last year. Columbia won and Penn State was second.