Players leaving early

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Scott88, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Today is the last day for undergraduates to declare for the NFL draft. LSU LB Devin White declared, and everybody is waiting on Kyler Murray to declare. I see that MLB has said that the A's can up their ante' to Murray without violating any NFL/NFLPA rules. So we'll see. Murray is just so small that I have to wonder how he'll hold up in the NFL where everybody is bigger and faster than what he faced in college.

2. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

I suspect a lot of the decision will come down to guaranteed money.

3. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

The risk to physical injury in a no brainer in my opinion. Play Ball! (baseball) ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Terry O'Keefe

I think you are right Don, but that assumes he makes it to the bigs. I think of Drew Henson who was also a great College QB who was probably going to be a 1st round draft pick in the NFL, but signed with the Yankees and gave up football. He never made it to the bigs though and by the time he got back to football his skills had eroded and he never made it in the NFL either.

5. Terry O'Keefe

Tate Martell will be visiting West Virginia, Miami, and Louisville. So next question will be can Justin Fields get his waiver approved by the NCAA.

6. Don Ballard

$64,000 dollar question Terry. His attorney does not seem to think it will be a problem. Of course, that is almost always a standard reply by an attorneyo_O

7. Terry O'Keefe

Well it's official, Tate Martell is transferring to Miami. Will have to sit out the 2019 season of course.
    Brandon Wimbush, ND, is of course grad transferring to UCF, Kelly Bryant already announced he was grad transferring to Missouri, and that leaves Jalen Hurts out there as to where he's going to play next year.

There are a number of other QB's who are in the portal looking to transfer, the backup to Kyler Murray at OU is looking to transfer and Texas has 2 QB's who are looking to transfer as well.

8. Don Ballard

Tough on coaches to keep up with reserve QBs in this modern age of play me or I will transfer!

9. Terry O'Keefe

Getting interesting with these transfers. Everybody knows that Fields is going to use the race card to try and get immediate eligibility and now Tate Martell has lawyered up and will use the coaching change at Ohio State as the reason he should be allowed to play right away.

Martell lawyers up as he appeals to NCAA for '19 eligibility

10. Terry O'Keefe

Don, at Texas we had 4 scholarship QB's, 1 guy is staying of course he's the starter..Sam Ehlinger. His backup is one of those guys who has been a starter but has accepted the role as a backup and really wants to graduate from Texas and be a Longhorn Alum doesn't worry about playing time, just wants to be a part of the team. The other 2 both of whom were true freshman are leaving, one is already gone to Sam Houston State and the other hasn't made a decision. We do have a guy coming in for the fall so we'll be back up to 3 QB's.

11. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

Some NFL early entrant tidbits:

Alabama leads all SEC schools with seven players declaring for the 2019 NFL draft, with Florida following suit with five.

A full list of players granted eligibility will be released by the NFL on Friday. The draft will be held April 25–27 in Nashville, Tennessee.

The Tide had the most active NFL players on 53-man rosters at the start of the 2018 season, per the NCAA, with 44. LSU was next with 40 and UF had 38. Those were the top three in the nation. Miami and Ohio State had 36 each to tie for fourth and FSU was sixth with 33.
    The SEC led all conferences with 335 players on active NFL rosters at the start of the 2018 season — 96 more than the next conference (Big Ten).

12. Terry O'Keefe

That reflects the changing demographics of the country, the Southeast is growing fast and the Midwest is not, so we are seeing more and more of the country's best players coming from that area and going to school in that area, where as in the past the Midwest was the top producer of football talent and that was reflected by the numbers in the NFL. At one time Notre Dame had more NFL players than any other school. Still have significantly more NFL HOF members than other schools, but give it time and Alabama will over take the Irish in that area as well.

BTW: Jalen Hurts to Oklahoma. It will be interesting to see what Lincoln Riley can do with Jalen, I'm sure Hurts and his family looked at Mayfield and Murray and felt that Jalen has as much god given talent as those guys and hope that Riley can do for Jalen what he did for the other 2 guys. Of course OU has Spencer Rattler the #1 rated QB in the 2019 class coming in as well, and if Spencer is in Trevor Lawrence's class as a QB, Jalen might end up like Kelly Bryant. We'll see.

13. IrishCorey

Hurts is a good kid, I hope he gets a full year at OU and does well... just so long as our paths don't cross :)

14. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Hurts is a great guy. He handled a tough situation with a lot of class. I wish him well.

15. IrishCorey

I see OU wound up with a bit of egg on their face because they were going to deny the kid trying to leave Oklahoma for West Virginia but they caved to the outrage of the people.

16. Terry O'Keefe

Well I didn't see this coming. Shane Buechele the backup QB at Texas who I thought was a lifer as a Texas player/student is leaving. Reportedly will graduate this summer and enroll at SMU for the fall. He's the starting QB in 2016 when Texas beat ND in Austin. But with Herman's arrival and the change in the offense to require a more physical QB running the football, he lost out to Sam Ehlinger. He's still played when Sam has been dinged up and I really thought he'd stay the course. So one of the freshman who has his name in the portal is now likely to stay at UT, the other freshman is gone. The 2019 guy is an early enrollee so we'll have 3 QB's for Spring.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. IrishCorey

WOW.. That is really shocking. I thought it was burnt orange in the blood for that kid.

18. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Can anyone explain the transfer rules to me? And what determines who can play immediately and who has to sit one year? Example: Haskins turns pro after 13 games as a starting college QB. Fields at Georgia immediately transfers to OSU as a red shirt freshman with virtually no playing time. How does he get to play immediately? And Tate Martelle, the presumed incumbent at OSU, immediately transfers to Miami. How does he qualify to play immediately? What is a hardship?

19. Don Ballard

[QUOTE=" 1]Can anyone explain the transfer rules to me?[/QUOTE]

George, the NCAA can not even answer your question!:)

20. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Has the decision been made in Fields?