The enigma continues....

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Motorcity Gator, May 6, 2013.

1. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

I have to ask again.....why did Jim Harbaugh go with Colin Kaepernick..... because he throws a beautiful ball in practice? Or because with his whole running/throwing package Harbaugh thinks the kid will win games.

2. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Kaeperneck had a 62.4 percent pass completion rate and averaged 6.6 yds per rush. He took his team to the Super Bowl. Tebow wasn't close.

3. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

As Gipper pointed out, Colin produced where Tebow did not. That being said, Dave you said it is the 'off the field baggage.'

What baggage would that be? It can't be the Jesus because the FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes) has a great many members in the NFL.

We know it's not criminal. Rather than do anymore exhaustive research on such a mundane topic, I'll just throw you a bone. This is not a comprehensive database on NFL players facing, or who faced, criminal charges since 2000. It's pretty close to comprehensive though. The numbers are staggering.

http://www.utsandiego.com/nfl/arrests-database/

Play with that thing a while and tell me what these baggage items are that keep him from NFL stardom?

4. Motorcity Gator

That's easy Corey.... I am calling the media circus that goes with Tebow his own personal brand of "baggage"...

So.... you are saying that Denver 2011 and SF 2012 are equal opportunity employers? Really?

2010 Denver 4-12

2011 SF 13-3

5. kp

kp Well-Known Member

MCG,
    Tebow was a great college qb. I am sure he is a great person. Integrity, ethics, honesty. He will be very successful in life if he maintains those traits. Not being a great NFL qb is not a slam. It just it what it is. :)

6. Motorcity Gator

Kp,

My only beef about Tebow is that he almost personally took a 4-12 team..... and then a 1-4 team and turned it in to a playoff winner.....and in the process created a winning attitude that obviously carried over into the next season.

It was fun to watch....those were some damned exciting wins Denver had that season with Tebow.

And now because he doesn't impress a dysfunctional Jets coaching staff he is done? No other opportunities?

Doesn't seem plausible.....

7. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

About Tim Tebow I will keep it simple then withdraw from the conversation.

Tebow is one of the best college football players I have ever watched.

He is one of the finest human beings coming out of college football that I have seen, Danny Wuerffel is right there with him.

He will be fine in his life if he never plays another football game

He is skilled enough to play some position in the NFL, like Dave I am not yet convinced he cannot play QB.

That he may never get another chance in the NFL says more about the NFL than it says about Tebow.

I am proud that he is a Gator and will be following his career and life wherever it leads.

8. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

I can't disagree with much Bill said and I don't think anyone else can either. It is simply his mechanics, in my opinion. He has a long slow release, just a little north of sidearm. He has trouble locating secondary receivers so he runs a lot and in the NFL that means " not for long ".

We all like college sports for a reason.......

9. Motorcity Gator

I agree with what you are saying Bill.

Just from a pure fan standpoint....not even from a Gator point of view....the kid was like a breath of fresh air to watch.... and who doesn't like to watch fraught filled last minute comeback wins?

NFL GMs.... that's who. :wink:

...and George.... the trend in the NFL is the RG3s...the Colin Kaepernicks....the Cam Newtons.... all guys that can make things happen with their feet.

Comparing Tebow to those guys I would say Tebow's physique is much more suited to running the football than they are.

10. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

They were talking about this on the morning drive time. The NFL guy (John McClain, Houston Chronicle) says it comes down to he has such a poor throwing motion that he can't complete a lot of passes in a standard Pro offense and any team that takes him has to have a Tebow package or if they expect him to be the starter they have to change their offense.

2011 with Denver was them limiting their offense to what he can do and play great defense. They won with defense, the offense did just enough to win, in the NFL that's a tough way to go on a regular basis.

11. Motorcity Gator

Terry... I watched Denver that season via computer live feed from Europe.. and that's about right.

Credit John Fox for realizing what he had in Tebow and creating an offensive strategy to take advantage of Tebow's abilities.... and it resulted in wins and a great playoff victory over the league's top ranked defense in which the Broncos had 29 points, 8.1 yards per play, 18 first downs and 447 yards of total offense.

And all that with Tebow playing Qb.... imagine that.

12. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Problem is Dave that NFL teams figure out things like the Wildcat which was so popular a few years ago, now you don't hear about it much. If Tim Tebow could throw the ball like Colin Kapernick or RGIII or Russell Wilson he'd have a job but he can't and it makes him a one trick pony like the Wildcat offense.

13. Motorcity Gator

Tebow is more than a wildcat guy.

He is a legitimate threat to line up back there...get a shotgun snap and run it down your throat for a first down on 3rd and 2 on a critical drive.

The threat of that opens up some of his passing.... ask the Steelers if he can't hit the dagger..... or Alabama about it when he hit David Nelson for a deciding TD in the endzone in the 2008 SECCG.

He can do it... it won't be like a Sanchez led offense ( thank God ).... but he can... win... his way.... if given a chance.

14. IrishCorey

Bill,

Agreed.

Dave,

Are you high?
    As Terry correctly pointed out, that team won with defense. They won games often in spite of him..not because of him. You even admit as much in your follow up response.

You carefully hen peck your argument in support of him and that's just not very convincing. Why ask the 2008 Alabama team when we could ask the 2009 Alabama team?

Look, Tebow is a great guy and no one is going to make you take down the poster over your bed. It's just possible that he's a great guy who isn't an NFL QB.

15. Motorcity Gator

So Corey.... without the usual ******** here.... what was wrong with that great Denver defense when they went 5-17 in the 22 games before Tebow became the full time starter?

Listen...as I said... I watched those games and yes.... most of the time the defense rose to the occasion to give Tebow a chance but HE is the one that led the team to winning points.

FYI the defense also got roasted a couple of times in some losses....like the NE loss following the Steelers win.... speaking of which did the defense lead the Broncos to 447 yards of offense vs. the Steelers?

This is what I don't like about the Tebow situation... everyone just wants to ignore what actually happened....and then conveniently defer to his spring time throwing motions et al. :roll:

16. IrishCorey

what usual ********? Literally, 99.9% of the world sees this and those who don't are Gator fans (even that's a minuscule number), a few missionaries and at least a few people named Tebow.

17. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Wait, the Denver coaching staff let him go too, and 30 other coaching staffs are not exactly breaking down his door.

18. IrishCorey

You're making this so difficult Dave. The Broncos were 8-8 in the worst division in pro football. They pulled out 1 miracle win and were absolutely crushed in the next round. That's your xanadu?

The year after Tebow, with Manning, the team went 13-3. They lost a tight game to the eventual Super Bowl champions. There's just so many apples and oranges comparisons yet you continue to throw them against the wall hoping something will stick.

This is a league that employs holy men, murderers and rapists. All they give a **** about is winning and making money.

Why would they black ball Tebow if he could do either of those two? Truly.

19. kp

kp Well-Known Member

You know it seems we are all having a violent agreement with one notable exception. 8)

20. vicm

vicm New Member

Terry, George, this is something I wrote about in a previous post. It was there in initial assessments by some when he was still in school that he had a peculiar, almost side arm, release and would lower the ball before the throw.