College Basketball 2023-24

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Nov 1, 2023.

1. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

I'm with you Don, I liked him alot and believed in him. He earned Coach of the Year honors in every conference in which he coached. I have no idea what happened, but happen it did and tho it saddens me, I support Smith's decision.

2. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I've said here I'm a fan of Holtmann, but I'm aware that this season is very disappointing. Who knows why? If I was a OSU fan, I'd be in favor of the quick hook for two reasons: 1) It gives OSU lots of time to find a new coach by making it known that the highly attractive position is open, and 2) It gives Holtmann time to survey the landscape in the hope that he can land on his feet. If he has a healthy buyout, that's good for him, but coaches want to coach.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

They were talking about Holtman yesterday, the opinion was that he was hurt by some of his recruits turning out better early than he thought and they became one and done hurting his lineup leaving holes where he was expecting a 3 year player

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Terry O'Keefe

If you want to see Catlin Clark beat the all-time record tonight you have to watch it on Peacock. Would have thought it'd have been on one of the ESPN channels or the Big 10 Network at least.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Terry O'Keefe

Well it didn't take long, Clark hit her first 3 shots and that was it, oh and just to make sure it wasn't some flukey deal, she put up 23 points in the 1 qtr vs Michigan. She's just amazing

6. Terry O'Keefe

Clark not only sets the all time scoring record but goes for 49 tonight and sets teh all time Iowa scoring record, beating Megan Gustafson's record of 48. I'll give Michigan credit, they played well scored 89 points but Hurricane Catlin was unstoppable.

7. Terry O'Keefe

Quite the post game celebration for Catlin Clark. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it that wasn't a Championship.

8. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

It certainly did not take her long into the game to break the record. Poor girl only managed 49 points as well.;)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2024
  9. BuckeyeT

She's amazing for sure. It sure looks to me that her range with the 3 is every bit as long as Steph Curry's. I'd love to see then shoot it out...my money's on the young lady

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Don Ballard

Off subject for a moment Buckeye Terry, any preferences on the new bb coach?

11. BuckeyeT

I haven't really given it alot of thought to be honest. I'm just trying to make this year go away! There is really no one that comes immediately to mind that I'm in love with but I have heard Scott Drew from Baylor being kicked about and he sounds interesting....how about you?

12. Don Ballard

Like you no strong feelings at this point, but not keen on Sean Miller, MCDermott Creighton a possibility, but I think we need someone who is young and aggressive like Foster at South Carolina, who is from Findlay? I am confident a number of names will pop in the search.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Tom Crean? Archie Miller? Mike Woodson....PLEASE?

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Terry O'Keefe

Bobda what's the feeling around Howard and UM basketball? He seemed to have a spectacular start both in recruiting and results, now things are going south. Just a hiccup or worse?

Michigan athletic director Warde Manuel gave a vote of confidence to head coach Juwan Howard on Wednesday amid speculation about his job status, saying he has "not really thought about any changes in our men's basketball program."

The Wolverines lost 97-68 to Illinois on Tuesday, their 12th loss in 14 games.

"Juwan and I have talked, yes," Manuel said. "We'll continue to have those conversations as the season goes through. I continue to support him and the effort to turn this around. There is no lack of effort from our student-athletes and our coaches. It's a lack of execution at times. We have to be better. He knows that. I'll continue to have conversations with him and will continue to support him and our program.

15. Terry O'Keefe

Going on the road is really tough this year for even the top teams.

LUBBOCK, Texas -- Darrion Williams had a perfect night for Texas Tech, and the Red Raiders never trailed in a lopsided 79-50 victory over sixth-ranked Kansas that saw Bill Self ejected for the first time in his 21 seasons as the Jayhawks' head coach.

The 29-point loss Monday matched Kansas' largest against an unranked opponent in the AP poll era (since 1948-49), the other being against Kentucky in 1950.

It was the 33rd time this season that an AP top-10 team lost on the road to an unranked opponent, already the most through the month of February in a single season in AP poll history.

16. Terry O'Keefe

On Scott Drew, he's done a great job at Baylor. He took over a program in shambles after the murder of Patrick Dennehy a Baylor player by another player.

Murder of Patrick Dennehy - Wikipedia

He's rebuilt the program from the ground up and has been very successful with the Nat'l Championship just a couple of years ago. In his time there I'm sure there have been a lot of opportunities for him to leave for more money and stuff at other schools but he's stuck with the Bears. Not really sure why as he's a midwest kid his dad being the long time coach at Valpo in Indiana and having played for his dad. His brother Bryce is famous for a shot he made in the NCAA tournament and is the current coach at Grand Canyon after stints at Valpo and Vanderbilt.

For some reason I can't see Scott leaving Baylor, but of course you never know.

• Like Like x 2
  17. BuckeyeT

I agree it would be tough to drag him away, but he has some roots in the midwest so one can always hope!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Terry O'Keefe

Cougars having their way with the Longhorns.

Alabama rolled the Aggies.

19. Don Ballard

Buckeyes upset Purdue here in Columbus 73-69. WOW!o_O

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. BuckeyeT

Proud of those kids, very happy for Diebler after this week. Boilers were 20-20 from the line, our kids hung in there and gutted it out.

• Agree Agree x 1