Saban to retire.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Jan 10, 2024.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I'm being too negative on BOB, but even given his early success at the Texans you won't find any or many fans of him here in Houston. It all started when he got more control. He ran off a number of top players and made some horrible trades, in the end he ruined the team. No denying though that with the Pat's and Alabama he had good/great offenses and of course he had great talent.

He'll have great talent to work with at Ohio State so I expect he will do very well for you guys. The question of course will be can Ryan Day actually step away and take his hands off the offensive play calling and trust BOB?

2. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

That is the $64000.00 question, however he can not afford to make any real kind of blunders and expect to be on the payroll.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Terry O'Keefe

I see that Nick Saban is moving to Krebs area of Fla, not Hobe Sound but Jupiter just a short drive south of where George keeps his boat!

4. Terry O'Keefe

Multiple sources now reporting Harbaugh to the Chargers, will take Minter and his son Jay with him. So does UM immediately name Sherron Moore the OCoord who ran the team in the last 3 games of the season?

This also opens the 30 day window for transfers, but somehow I doubt that there will be some mass exodus from Ann Arbor. Also it's past the deadline for guys who made a decision to stay rather than enter the NFL draft. Will be interesting.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Terry O'Keefe

6. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I've heard that Saban wanted to move to Hobe Sound, but George led a petition of homeowners against it, so his application to the HOA was denied. ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

H leaving was inevitable. When he took the job at M, he told the AD at that time that he anticipated returning to the NFL.

He obviously did a great job rebuilding a program that seemed imbedded in mediocrity to 3 straight BT championships and a National Championship with only 1 regular season loss in that 3 year period.

However he does leave with a cloud of potential NCAA sanctions hanging over the program. I also sense many M fans are deluding themselves into thinking that the transition from Harbaugh to Moore will be seamless. In contrast to Alabama who hired a elite coach within a week after Saban retired, my sense is that M may be in for a pretty rough ride the next few years by handing over the keys to a well respected but unproven assistant coach.

8. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

Harbaugh gets retirement contract with the NFL, and the Wolverines get....?

Whatever happens, it's a slimy, shifty thing to do to your Alma Mater

9. Bobdawolverweasel

TOK,

All the credible insiders feel that the job is Moore’s. Loosing Minter will be painful as it was M’s defense that was the major reason for winning the national championship.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Well, 3 of the coaches from this season’s final 4 are no longer with the teams they took to the playoffs. 2 of them are no longer college coaches.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Bobdawolverweasel

AJ,
    Pat Fitzgerald was as loyal as one could be turning down better paying job offers from the Packers and Michigan to remain at NW. And his loyalty was repaid by getting fired after the university caved to public pressure even though the accusations made against him were not throughly investigated. Loyalty is a two way street and I have seen plenty of companies and universities treat loyal employees shabbily so I have no major issue with a person making a career decision based solely on what is best for his family and him. But, if he misled players or recruits, that is a different story. And if his motivation for leaving was to get out of Dodge before the sheriff from the NCAA arrived, then you are right.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  12. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

Sorry Bobda, you knew it was coming. I would have lost my Buckeye card had I not posted.

upload_2024-1-25_17-29-48.png

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. Terry O'Keefe

Lot of talk about the delay in naming Moore the HC @ Michigan, could cause problems with players and recruits not knowing who is the coach.

But it seems to me that nothing prevents Moore from talking to recruits and players saying that he has the job and it's just a rule about posting the opportunity for 7 days before he can officially be announced

14. Bobdawolverweasel

The 7-day rule was designed to facilitate more minority hires but since hiring Moore ticked the DEI checkbox, M was able to secure a waiver of the rule and immediately hired him. Moore has a lot of talent to work with but breaking in a new QB and facing a daunting schedule is going to be rough. If he can emulate the early years of David Shaw after H left Stanford that would be great but Shaw had the luxury of inheriting Andrew Luck when he took the job which certainly made the challenges he faced a lot easier.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Terry O'Keefe

Speaking of David Shaw, it really shocked me how things went south for him at Stanford, for quite awhile after he took over he had Stanford really in a good place, then it just all went away. I thought for sure he'd take a year off and then be back coaching, but he's not.

16. Bobdawolverweasel

Stanford’s recruiting was terrible during his later years plus he never seemed to adapt to changing times. The offense he ran in year 1 looked the same as the offense in his final year. The program fossilized and collapsed.

I think he interviewed for the Chargers job this year.

In other news, M’s best assistant coach under Harbaugh is joining him in LA.

17. Terry O'Keefe

That was kind of expected, right? Jay Harbaugh also right?

18. Bobdawolverweasel

No news of Jay yet but all anticipate he will follow pops to LA.

19. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

I lived in Jupiter for a several years in the late 80's and early 90's. That is where the FPL headquarters is and I was assigned there. Moved from there to Kissimmee where we were for 14 years. As a Math Professor at Valencia CC. If you discount the big pay decrease that was a great job. Even taking that into consideration it was a great job. Moved from there to Franklin NC in 2007 and have been here ever since.

Totally off topic I know but just had to talk. :). Good place to live by the way.

• Like Like x 5
  20. Terry O'Keefe

Are you Buckeyes hearing anything about Bill O'Brien going after the BC job?

• Like Like x 1