Championship Week - College Football 2023.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Nov 28, 2023.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

While waiting on the latest CFP rankings.

This week there is all sorts of kids hitting the portal. Some really good QB's are in the portal. Walker Howard KSU, Will Rogers Miss State, Riley Leonard Duke, and you can bet more to come soon.

People have asked if you are in the portal can you still play in the bowl. The answer is yes you can but in reality no coach wants those kids taking up practice time from players who will be back.

Next will be the opt outs for the bowl games

2. Terry O'Keefe

On the coaching carousel, Arkansas has hired Bobby Petrino as it's OCoord. Ddin't see that coming.

3. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Figured Elko will clean house (bye Petrino).
    He'll keep Elijah Robinson, but otherwise I doubt anyone else from Jimbo's staff will be retained.

4. Terry O'Keefe

This new normal is really making the "meaningless" bowl games even more meaningless. Players Opting out, players entering the portal and coaches like Petrino who take another job have to go so they can work on maintaining the recruits who are supposed to sign Dec 19th.

So we have a lot teams who are shells of the regular season teams both in terms of players and the coaching staff.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Terry O'Keefe

Welll Ohio State fell to 6th not much else changed that mattered.

1. Georgia
    2. Michigan
    3. Washington
    4. FSU
    5. Oregon
    6. Ohio State
    7. Texas
    8. Alabama
    9.Missouri
    10. Penn State.

Only 2 games are left that really matter.

ACC Champ game Louisville vs FSU FSU has a backup QB, Louisville is healthy. But Louisville is coming off a loss to a middle of the pack SEC team in Kentucky. But an upset here is possible.

SEC Champ game Georgia v Alabama This could be a barn burner of a game. I'm not sure how to factor in the Alabama/Auburn game. Tide had to win with a miracle series of events against an Auburn team that had just lost at home to a Group of 5 team. So which Alabama team will show up in Atlanta? Milroe is the most improved player in college football so he gives them a chance vs that Dawg defense. But Georgia QB Carson Beck has quietly become a very good QB and Brock Bowers is back plus while he was out they found out they had some WR's who were pretty good as well.

Question will be, if the Tide win will Georgia just drop to #4? Will that be enough to jump the Tide into the playoffs? .If Texas wins as expected there will be a lot of hard feelings if the committee ignores the head to thead even though I personally feel that Alabama is the better team right now.

Big 10 Championship game? Iowa is likely to get shutout.

B12 Championship game Texas is the heavy favorite.

Pac 12 Championship game. It's like a quarterfinal game. Winner will get into the CFP and the loser will got to the Rose Bowl. Doesn't matter about the records or about Washington beating Oregon in the regular season. Winner takes all

6. Terry O'Keefe

I do believe that Georgia doesn't have to win the SEC Championship to get to the CFP.

What if the Tide wins and so does Louisville?

1.Michigan
    2.Wash/Oregon winner
    3. Georgia
    4. Texas or will the CFP committee not allow Texas to jump Ohio State? If the Tide beats Georgia somehow by double digits could Georgia fall to #5 allowing 2 of Texas/Ohio State/Alabama. In that case I think Texas as a Conference Champion and Alabama as a Conference Champion will both jump Ohio State

7. kp

kp Well-Known Member

I don't really see.a route to Alabama being in the playoffs. It may not matter.because I think Georgia has to do something really stupid to lose.to Alabama. I do think if Alabama wins maybe the committee uses that to exclude.the SEC from the final 4. On the other hand, it may not matter who wins or loses, the final 4 stays the same.

8. Terry O'Keefe

Right now there are 4 unbeatens, if they all win then there won't be any controversy. But if FSU and Georgia lose then there will be some hurt butts!

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Terry O'Keefe

Portal is heating up, IU had 17 guys hit the portal! Mich State had 3 QB's hit the portal. I'm hearing that the Irish aren't done with guys hitting the portal.

10. Scott88

Interestingly... All A&M players were eligible to hit the portal as soon as Jimbo was fired, and so far only 2 are on the list, one being Max Johnson a grad trans who just wants to start somewhere his last year so he makes sense.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Terry O'Keefe

Technically the portal doesn't open till Dec 4th, except in cases where the HC is gone, like at A&M, even so players all over college football are declaring, mostly on Instagram, that they are entering the portal.

Those 3 MSU QB's who declared for the portal were all of their scholarship QB's. Wow! So the new coach will have some work to do building a QB room. He has to get it done before Jan 3 when the portal closes if he wants to have QB's for Spring Drills.

12. Terry O'Keefe

Matt Rhule on the cost of a good Portal QB.

Nebraska football coach Matt Rhule had a cautious message for fans -- and not just at Nebraska -- looking for a quick fix, especially at quarterback.

After a season in which three Cornhuskers quarterbacks made appearances in at least five games, Rhule was asked if he planned on addressing the position in the transfer portal.

"Make no mistake that a good quarterback in the portal costs, you know, a million to $1.5 million to $2 million right now, just so we're all on the same page," Rhule said Wednesday while discussing the state of the program with reporters. "Let's make sure we all understand what's happening. There are some teams that have $6 [million] or $7 million players playing for them."

Huskers' Rhule: Good QB in portal 'costs' $1-2M

13. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

College football needs a new name.

14. Scott88

BMFL... BIG MONEY FOOTBALL LEAGUE There ya go George.
    It's a large part of why I'm stepping away next season.
    I'll still follow college baseball, since the minor leagues have helped insulate that somewhat from what's going on in football...

15. Terry O'Keefe

Scott nobody talks about it but as we all know baseball is limited to 11.5 scholarships, but with NIL money does that make any difference these days? While it's not likely that NIL money is going to temp a 1st round pick in the MLB draft but what about the kids in later rounds, if you want a kid and the NIL money is pretty good why not go to college?

16. Terry O'Keefe

I see that 5 star DL Justin Scott has flipped from Ohio State to Miami. Miami a team that hasn't been very good for awhile now, not sending players to the NFL. Just the opposite at Ohio State, but I have to believe that Miami lawyer who showers NIL money on players he really wants to come to South Florida dropped a lot of NIL on the kid.

What's the story out of Columbus Don?

17. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

What's the story out of Columbus Don?[/QUOTE]
    Very quiet thus far just the notice of his decommitment.o_O

Latest news:
    Ohio State's 2024 recruiting class has suffered a devastating blow.

When five-star defensive tackle Justin Scott committed to Ohio State in July, he caught many OSU fans off guard. Wednesday, the Chicago product took the recruiting world by surprise by flipping his commitment from Ohio State to Miami.

Maybe NIL money, who knows?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2023
  18. George Krebs

It's all about the Benjamins.

19. Scott88

I don't see how this is a sustainable model?
    Boosters have lots of money... but to keep pouring millions into transfers and recruits EVERY year?
    Thousands - I can see it.
    Hundreds of thousands - now it starts to get tight.
    Millions??? EVERY YEAR?
    That well has to run dry at some point...

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. George Krebs

Notre Dame reportedly paid Hartman $1.5 million. No telling what the other guys are getting. Is it safe to say that they have at least $10 million wrapped up in player payments ? A lot of these guys are driving luxury cars, living in private off campus housing, wearing expensive clothes and bling. I'm sure they have all the cash they need and they don't pay for much of anything. The only thing you rarely, if ever, hear about any more is education. Not sure many of these junior millionaires spend much time in the classroom. College sports are morphing into professional sports at lighting speed.