Week 9 College Football

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Oct 23, 2023.

1. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Really wish my fellow alums were not so proficient in writing “manifestos”.

IMG_0117.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 3
  2. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Scott, I spent a of years in DOD Air Traffic Control radio and radar.acquisition. I wish it was as easy as you indicate to make them secure.

3. Bobdawolverweasel

An excerpt from a 2021 article from PC Magazine regarding the communication system used in the NFL

Is there technology available to businesses that provide them the means to hack encrypted radio signals? I have no tech expertise so do not know the answer to that question. I do recall in the past the government trying to bar app based communications that used encryption since those apps were being used by terrorist organizations to plot attacks and the government was unable to break the encryption.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Kp, no encryption is bulletproof, but the hope would be that the sauce isn't worth the squeeze in CFB.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Seems like odd timing, given both the QB and the OL, had their asses handed to them in the last 2 games.

6. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Well I'll just tell y'all that one of the major obstacles to fielding military comm systems is security integrity. Even in non classified programs. Now the college football applications would not be as dynamic as those applications but to make a system secure is no simple task. Of course the current system is not secure either. I wonder how much this guy at Michigan spent on all of those tickets?

7. kp

kp Well-Known Member

I'll tell y'all a little anecdote. The FAA was having a problem with a landing system at Newark. It turned out that truckers on a highway that ran adjacent to the airport were.blocking their employers tracking system and that blocking tool also interfered with the landing system. This was years ago but you get.the drift.

8. Bobdawolverweasel

9. kp

kp Well-Known Member

10. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

Great question....the focus on computers of assistant coaches lends some credence to the Matt Weiss allegations. No doubt the bony finger of indignation will be pointed at a range of possible perps with disgruntled staff and us at the top of the list. I just hope our guy didn't use his personal credit card and cell phone to do the deed ;) the good news is that our guys aren't ambitious enough to write a manifesto like Kaczynski and Stalions, we're more the Dahmer type, less evidence that way

In all seriousness, it's looking more troublesome for M by the day. They already suspended Harbaugh for 3 games for prior alleged misdeeds, what's next and what is the timing? Tough week for the admin trying to have some semblance of damage control and try and get out in front, this thing is spinning up by the day.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Bobdawolverweasel

Terry,
    Tribalism seems to be as poisonous in sports as in politics. The idea that OSU would hire a reputable forensic computer investigator who would then commit a federal crime of hacking a computer and then provide the stolen materials to the NCAA enters Sidney Powell levels of fantasy. My guess is either someone with legal access to the material provided the info to the TP or that the TP was hired by M. Supposedly the NCAA meets with M this week and I can only hope that if improper conduct took place, M acknowledges the impropriety.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Normally, we don't explain our emojis, but I feel an explanation of my above "thumbs up" is in order. It's intended to compliment Bobda for his straightforward, "put bias aside" approach to analyzing the issue. As a strong supporter of UM, he has to be hurting, even upset at what's happening, but like the successful attorney that he is, he's putting his feelings on the shelf in order to - along with his Ohio State buddy, BT - sustain an intelligent and insightful conversation. And no, I'm not trying to butter him up hoping for free legal advice.

• Like Like x 2
  13. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

Amen Sid...it's no fun being a supporter of a school in the cross-hairs. Having had that unfortunate experience myself, not all of us are capable of handling the situation as rationally and gracefully as our friend Bobda. Certainly not I....bravo my friend

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Bobdawolverweasel

Thanks. I think my primary emotion is weariness at reading fellow M fans prattle on about M’s high moral and academic standards while also attempting to excuse, explain away, minimize, deny or justify impropriety if the action produces a winning team. But, hypocrisy is an ingrained part of human nature and I have had my fair share of hypocritical moments in the past so watching it in real time is not a surprising occurrence. The same re Harbaugh proclaiming M to be the “gold standard” for NCAA compliance and contrasting those statements with the conduct reported in the WP article.

The other emotion is astonishment at how hare brained Stallions scheme was and that nobody on staff had the common sense to quash it.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Terry O'Keefe

Doesn't always work for you...

In case you were wondering why TCU put 52 points on UM and won ---

(from Yahoo)

During TCU's game against Michigan in last year's College Football Playoff semifinal, trickery was afoot.

TCU coaches, having gained information on Michigan's elaborate sign-stealing scheme, changed many of their play-call signals before kickoff. However, head coach Sonny Dykes and the Horned Frogs staff had grander ideas than just changing signals.

They pulled a fast one on the Wolverines.

They mixed in new play-call signals with old ones, using what one TCU staff member described as 'dummy signals' in an effort to trick the UM staff. The dummy signals were old play-calls that had since been changed. Players were told to ignore the dummy signals and run the original play as called with the new signals.

"Sometimes we froze a play before the snap," said one TCU coach. "We'd call a play and then we'd signal in another play with an old signal but we told players to run the original play."

16. Terry O'Keefe

I've said this before...

1. Neither the NCAA or the Big 10 are likely to move quickly on this, Michigan will play out the season and I don't expect it to hurt them. It will create an us against the world mentality.

2. I won't be shocked if Harbaugh does what Pete Carroll did when he could see problems coming on the USC program. He left for Seattle and never looked back

3. I also don't expect the Michigan AD or Michigan President or anybody associated with Michigan to pull the rug out from under this team which is may be their best team in more than 20 years with a legitimate shot at the Nat'l Championship.

17. Terry O'Keefe

From a guy who writes a weekly column on Irish Sports Daily, it's not dedicated to Irish football.

OSU heads to Wisconsin to take on Luke Fickell and his punchless Badgers. On paper, this game should be a laugher, but Ohio State always struggles in Madison, and this game has the ear-markings of a closer than usual tussle. Obviously, being an OSU football alum (enter joke here) Fickell will want this one a little bit more. The problem with Wisconsin is they are in the middle of an offensive transition from the ground and pound to the more pass-friendly offense of Phil Longo. I expect a spirited effort by Badgers at home, and maybe a bit of let down from OSU. It meets in the middle. OSU 28-17.

The big one of the week goes down in Salt Lake City as Oregon heads to Utah for a showdown with the 23 Utes. I have a great deal of respect for the Utes. They’re just a tough football team. They don’t do anything particularly well, while at the same time, they don’t have any glaring weaknesses. They just play hardnosed football. For Utah to win this game, they’re going to need to score points and I don’t know if the offense has that in them. Yes, they scored 34 against SC, but Oregon’s defense actually has a pulse and with Bo Nix and their offense, they’re going to have to score in the high 20’s to win this. I just don’t know if they can. Oregon wins in a real good one. Quackers 29-23.

18. kp

kp Well-Known Member

On the subject of radios in the helmets, is there anything to stop the OC from providing the QB with info during the play? Info like what type of coverage or tendencies or even who's open or who's blitzing.

19. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

That's a high compliment for a Pac12 team. :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. Terry O'Keefe

There is in the NFL