Week 8 College Football

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Oct 17, 2023.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Getting real now! The first CFP rankings will come out on Halloween, does that say anything?:D

As Don noted in another topic there are no important games this week that aren't being played on Saturday.

1. Georgia Bye week to prepare for the Gators.
    2. Michigan @ MSU MSU a team in trouble due to the actions of it's coach, should be no problem for the Wolverines
    3. Ohio State vs Penn State This is the game of the week, both teams are top 10 and the crowd in Columbus should be rocking. PSU has a good young QB and a couple of good young RB's. From what I read here, Buckeyes might be a little banged up at RB but QB is growing every week. Should be a classic.
    4. FSU vs Duke The Blue Devils have continued to play well, but will still be missing their best player in QB Riley Leonard. Seminoles at home and very solid. Duke defense will probably keep it close for a half.
    5. Washington vs Arizona St Almost a bye for the Huskies as the Sun Devils just aren't very good.
    6. Oklahoma vs UCF Welcome to the Big Time Knights. They bring a bad team to Norman and likely will get killed lead by former UCF QB Dillion Gabriel.
    7. Penn State @ Ohio State
    8. Texas @ Houston Cougars aren't very good this year in spite of the exciting last second win vs West Virgina. I imagine the Longhorns can almost name the score.
    9. Oregon vs Washington State Ducks don't get much time to lick their wounds from the loss in Seattle, the Coogs are a pretty darn good team. This could be a very good game.
    10. UNC vs Virginia Mack Brown should notch another win here and Drake Maye should load up on his stats esp with his new midseason addition of an outstanding WR.

Other games to keep an eye on.

Tenn @ Alabama Tide seem to be still trying to figure out an offense, but defense is strong it seems. Vols with Joe Milton also sort of struggling on offense. A long way from last years shootout between Hooker and Bryce Young.

Minn @ Iowa Can the Hawkeyes score enough on defense to pull this one out?

KState @ TCU Big game for the Wildcats, they still have hopes for a berth in the B12 Championship game.

Army @ LSU a much needed puff game for the Tigers and Brian Kelly. I would imagine that the Tigers can score a min of 50, but the problem as always with service academy teams can you force a lot of 3 and outs, if you let them drive the ball they eat up a lot of clock and don't give your offense many chances to score. The good news for LSU fans is that Kelly is very experience in preparing for Service Academy offenses.

Utah @ USC The Utes handled USC last year, twice. They still have the plan and a good defense, not sure this years offense is enough though.

Clemson @ Miami There was a time that the 'Canes owned them, then the worm turned and it's been awhile since Miami has a win. But this year they have a shot. That's assuming the coach doesn't have a melt down when things are going their way. Clemson not the Clemson of DeShaun Watson and Trevor Lawrence.

Air Force @ Navy One of the games in the CIC Trophy. Don't look now but the Flyboys have one of their best teams in years and could (from what I read) finish the season undefeated.

Texas A&M has the week off to get ready for So.Carolina. The Chronicle has been putting out a lot of articles to the point that A&M needs to find the money to buyout Jimbo. Scott what are you hearing? Seems like a lot of pressure on Jimbo.

• Like Like x 1
  2. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

It's civil war week in the Spencer household. We opened -4.5 against the Nits, which seems about right. I expect another 4 qtr battle not unlike the Irish game. PSU hasn't really been tested yet, so that's a clear benefit to us. First really hostile environment for their talented, young QB. They have a very, very good defense - ex-Miami HC Manny Diaz sends pressure from all levels to all gaps regularly. Our OL will have their hands full keeping McCord clean and he will have to be on point with his reads and getting the ball out quickly. I like our chances to keep their offense under control and squeeze out a victory in another rock fight.

Day is notorious for not saying squat about the injury situation. At his presser today he said, "Hopefully we’ll have all of those guys back Saturday". No $h!+ coach, so am I but....scuttlebutt says most likely case is that Treveyon is back, 2 other RB's gametime, Egbuka uncertain and Burke, our #1 cover corner uncertain as well. Of them all, my fondest hope is that Egbuka is back, as seen in SB, he's a tough cover if you're intent on taking away MHJr and with all the Diaz pressure packages, he has played alot of football and knows how to make himself available quickly to a young QB from the slot. Gonna be a helluva game

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

LOL... its always funny when someone demands someone ELSE come up with the multi millions to buy out a coach. Especially when that number is very large.
    Jimbo isn't going anywhere.
    He's been under pressure since he arrived, but I doubt it's any more than it was then.
    If he could field a decent offensive line he'd have a pretty good team right now.
    (that and figure out why after 5 years of really good special teams, we can't seem to defend punts this year)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Terry O'Keefe

Uh oh USAFA starting QB out with a knee injury, he was having a great season.

5. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Scott, is he staying because of the cost of firing him? If so, how long is A&M going to have to keep him around?

6. Scott88

kp it really depends on his record.
    Last year's losing record was his first, and was mostly due to injuries, esp to QB's. Assuming we end up with 8+ wins this year I doubt there is any heat in the kitchen - his recruiting is still top notch.
    If we dip down to the bottoms again, then the equation changes, and I'd say the contract would save him for a year. (at the end of 2023 he'd be guaranteed $75mil)
    After that... it would be possible the big money folks might start putting together a settlement

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Terry O'Keefe

Show me the money!

8. Terry O'Keefe

Caleb Williams dad is starting to sound a lot like LaVar Ball ...he's said not too long ago that Caleb might not come out and that the draft is all wrong because the best player goes to the worst team. He intimated that Caleb might stay another year if he doesn't like the team that ends up with the #1 pick.

Now he's saying that whoever drafts him needs to be ready to give him partial ownership of the team Like that is ever going to happen.

9. kp

kp Well-Known Member

If he has many more games.like.he did last.Saturday maybe he'll go to a better team?:D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Scott88

His Dad is off the charts stupid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2023
  12. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Boy, I'll bet they're shaking in their boots over that investigation.:rolleyes: The last investigation was so devastating!

13. Bobdawolverweasel

The last investigation is not complete. The hearing was postponed until the offseason and the penalty imposed on Harbaugh was self imposed by the school.

Considering how Kansas just skated by on far more serious allegations, I have no idea what the NCAA will do but being on the wrong side of the rules is not a good place to be regardless of the punishment, especially when staff had previously proclaimed their devotion to playing by the rules when accusing others of cheating.

14. Terry O'Keefe

Do you think it's true?

I can't imagine the punishment will amount to much though. Mostly embarsssment it would seem to me..

15. Terry O'Keefe

I'll throw this out ...

Teams can get all the video footage they want of opponents, but in-person scouting is illegal?

And stealing signs is the issue, but is not actually against the rules?

How does this make sense?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Bobdawolverweasel

I imagine the game film does not focus on sideline signals. So, if you attend a game in person and chart or film all of the sideline signals and then cross reference the signals with each play on film, you are able to decipher each signal. Easy way to block this is to adopt the NFL system.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2023
  17. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

My understanding is that the in-person prohibition was designed to level the playing field so as not to advantage the deep-pocketed programs -v- the others with more binding budget constraints. Hence the availability of film for all. Stealing signs is not "illegal" though frowned upon while in person scouting is illegal. The allegations against them would go a long way towards explaining some stunningly prescient play calls, just sayin'. Scuttlebutt has it that Rutgers was one of a couple B!G teams that reported them. With that background, this video clip from Schiano during his halftime interview -v- them is intriguing.

18. Bobdawolverweasel

Well, I am starting to think that the NCAA is just another woke, Commie organization persecuting a man who spent his life protecting our great country. Plus, I am sending an email to Nebraska’s AD to tell him I know a retired marine who is smart and cunning and who would be willing to aid them in espionage activities against all Husker enemies

From ESPN:

• Funny Funny x 4
  19. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

Bring that Innocent Captain in for questioning.

On a side note, if you're gonna run recon...great choice. I'm surprised he even got allegated on.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2023
  20. Terry O'Keefe

Well if the Marine stone walls them and doesn't admit anything how do they prove it? Do they have video of him at games? If they have some way of proving it then the next hurdle is to figure out who he passed the information on to, again those guys might just go ahead and stonewall the NCAA. If they can some how prove that it happened that is going to be bad, esp after Harbaugh and the AD said it never happened.

It would be like the hamburger deal, the violation was no big deal, the lying to the NCAA was the big deal.

That short clip of Schiano doesn't really prove anything, but somebody had to turn Michigan into the NCAA that's for sure and it had to be somebody who played them already this season it would seem.