Notre Dame Football 2023

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Jul 26, 2023.

1. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Someone explain to me how we become so undisciplined when we play ACC opponents on the road with ACC refs? We've played 4 games not against ACC opponents and in those 4 games we've committed 11 total penalties just under 3 per game. In our two games in ACC land we've been flagged 22 times for an average of 11 per game. Just sayin'
    I watched the Ga.-Miss. game in the afternoon and the Dogs struggled on the road and had to score on a late touchdown drive to win the game. Good teams do that.
    This was a difficult game for the Irish coming off that heartbreaker last week. Duke was surprisingly physical. It looked like they gave us more trouble in the trenches than the Buckeyes did. Hartman is outstanding at protecting the rock. A number of times he had time last night but no one was open. We need receivers who can separate. Once again we were carried by Evans who has wonderful hands for a TE. He disappeared in the fourth quarter however.
    Next week we're off to Louisville for another flag fest in ACC land. We might want to find a center without a nervous twitch. And Jack S. should raise hell with the ACC officials using the punt spot reversal as a legitimate bitch and tag on the outrageous number of penalties in addition.
    We won a tough night game on the road against an unbeaten, ranked, well coached opponent. Book it and move on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

The whole “Targeting” rule is crazy

3. Tim Gentry

Well stupid me. I kept thinking all during the game, where is Greathouse? Didn’t realize till this morning he had a hamstring injuring during the week. So we had Colzie, Thomas, Greathouse and Solerno out of this game. A little more understandable why Hartman couldn’t find any open receivers.
    Also, I think I’ve given up on Merriweather.

4. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

In my earlier post I said Evans disappeared in the fourth quarter. I forgot about a big reception he had at the start of that winning drive. I really like that kid. Great hands. Great size.

5. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Re: targeting rule. I didn't know until last night that it applies to the entire body. It makes sense to me. Not only can a helmet "missile" cause injury to a leg, hip, midsection (I've seen it), it risks severe injury to the offending player.

6. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Back in the early 70s we were given incentives if we collected the most paint on our helmets. The game sure has changed.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Besides the Irish Football team getting the big win at the end in Durham. Irish Men's and Women's Soccer Teams also got good wins, Men beating NCState and the Women beating Louisville. Then the Cross Country team won the meet they were in this weekend.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

For the better IMO. Back then we didn't know what we didn't know. When modern medical technology made it clear that helmets can be, and are, used as weapons, it became necessary to institute measures to try to limit unnecessary helmet-inflicted injuries. So, yes, the game has changed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Sid, I agree. However, the targeting rules need to be applied consistently. Also, there is no penalty for an offensive player lower his head and "spearing" a defender. The crown of the headgear should not be the first thing to touch the opponent.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Terry O'Keefe

Good News on Riley Leonard.

Duke junior quarterback Riley Leonard has a high right ankle sprain and has a realistic chance of returning later this month for the Blue Devils, sources told ESPN on Sunday.

The bad news is that high ankle sprain is going to make him less mobile and that was a big part of his game. I'm just glad he didn't break anything.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Terry O'Keefe

For all the bed wetter's who weren't impressed with the Irish win Sat Night. We Shou'd beat those guys by 40, Freeman and Parker suck, etc. Joel Klatt who in general isn't a huge fan of the Irish, had some thoughts on the game.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Thanks, Terry. Not only was it great to hear Joel Klatt's kind words, but your description of the "bed wetters" had me in stitches.

13. Terry O'Keefe

• Winner Winner x 2
  14. Tim Gentry

15. Tim Gentry

I don’t understand some Irish fans sometimes. I said it before but I got no problem with Parker and as far as Freeman is concerned, we need to hold onto him as long as we can and go thru him developing into a good HC. I truly believe our patience and the team will be rewarded in the end. There are going to be bumps in the road but we need to stay with him.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I'm with you Tim. I really appreciate the effort Freeman puts into recruiting. I know you realize how important that is. His inexperience shows sometimes in his game decisions. Kicking a FG is not a sign of failure, it's cashing in what your team earned at that point. I thought he learned something from last year's Stanford loss as to how important 3 pts. in the first quarter can be. He once again let his emotions override reason in the first quarter of the OSU game. He'll learn and improve. Parker will be OK as long as Hartman can pull his fat out of the fire.
    Our kids could use a week off to recharge. Unfortunately we have another undefeated team on the road this week. Not counting the ND game played, our opponents are 17-5 so far this season. Every week is a battle now.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Not really Sid;)

• Funny Funny x 5
  18. Terry O'Keefe

A big win for Niele Ivey, WBB coach, getting this young lady. We've not had a great amount of success getting post players like this. We have had some really good post players recently but they were transfers.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Terry O'Keefe

Louisville is jacked to the max, biggest crowd in history, 5-0, they are pumped. Somehow neeed to take the crowd out of it early.

20. Terry O'Keefe

7-7 at half but it feels like Louisville has all the momentum. They are beating out OL, even Joe Alt looks average. Defense has been ok, but they need to force a turnover.