Week 5 College Football.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Sep 26, 2023.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Well a first, there had been 7 teams who have never hosted GameDay, and Duke was one of them. Now there are 6!

2. Terry O'Keefe

No good games on Thursday but Friday has some nice matchups.

Louisville at NC State Louisville is undefeated and NC State has only lost to Notre Dame. Important ACC matchup. Louisville has 3 wins vs Power 5 conference teams already, this is coach Jeff Brohm's 2nd season and he took over kind of a mess so this is a great start for the Cardinals.

Utah at Oregon State The Utes are off to a great start and still don't have Cam Rising back, question is when he's ready would it be fair to sit the QB who's been playing? The Beavers coming off a pounding up on the Palouse by Wazzu.

Cincy at BYU Cougars have played well, lost to Missouri last week but do have a win over Arkansas. Bearcats gave OU a battle last week held the previously high flying Sooners to 20 points. Big 12 meeting of the 2 newest members.

Saturday...lots of good games.

1. Georgia at Auburn These long time rivals aren't very far apart Georgia looking solid but Auburn in it's first year with Hugh Freeze still building. War Eagles/Tigers lost to the Aggies last week in College Station and have little chance vs the Dawgs at home.

2. Michigan @ Nebraska The Wolverines travel to the Motherland as AJ would put it, but even though Matt Rhule is a very good coach, he's already had some key injuries and just doesn't have the roster to go up against one of the best Michigan teams in a very long time.

3. Texas vs Kansas Everybody remembers the last visit by KU to Austin which resulted in a huge OT win for the Jayhawks and instant hero status for the walkon FB who scored the winner. it's different this time, Texas is loaded and Sark is in his 3rd year, KU's Lance Leopold is also in his 3rd year and has shown himself to be an excellent coach and has the Jayhawks on the edge of respectability. They like Neb just don't have the roster to match up with maybe Texas best team since the 2009 Colt McCoy lead team that went to the Nat'l Championship game only to see their chance snuffed out by a brutal hit by Marcel Darius on Colt. Texas needs to continue to get good performance from Ewers.

4.Ohio State Buckeyes have the week off to savor their exciting last second win over the Irish.

5. FSU also has the week off to savor their OT win at Death Valley over Clemson.

6. Penn State at Northwestern. Wildcats showed some fight in their come from behind win over Minnesota last week, but the Nits have a really good squad. They shut out Iowa (no big deal) and I won't be surprised if they do it to Northwestern.

7. Washington at Arizona Arizona off to a pretty good start, beat a woeful Stanford last week. Huskies are a CFP contender this year. Michael Pennix is having a great start to the season and he has three WR's who are all NFL quality. I heard on ESPNU that he's been so good that they think he has to purposefully throw an incompletion here and there to make himself seem human.

8. USC at Colorado USC didn't have a great performance last week at ASU, but that's an anomaly and I expect that in the still high charged atmosphere around the Buffalos that they will show up and lay a ton of points on Deion and the team.

9.Oregon at Stanford Ducks looked CFP ready, Bo Nix a long way from Auburn and the Duck defense looked like it was full of men last week. Stanford is awful, and they play in front of crowds of hundreds. Ducks swim.

10. Utah ...Friday night game I find it interesting that the Pac 12 continues it's impressive start to the season. A bunch of good teams, 3 top 10 teams. Yet the new Media driven world of college football and incredibly poor management has lead to the death of a great conference.

a number of big games this weekend starting with 3 teams who can not lose another game.

Notre Dame at Duke Blue Devils upset Clemson to start the season and are undefeated. They are a solid team with a very good young QB who was key to the upset over Clemson. Mike Elko has turned the program around it appears. This game is huge for them, to validate their good start. They will have a record crowd for the irish. For the irish who have superior talent at almost every position, it's key to not let the loss to Ohio State be still on their minds. They need to come out and take control early. The old adage of letting a hungry team like Duke hang around till the 4th qtr applies here.

Alabama at Mississippi State Tide showed improvement last week against Ole' Miss need to build off of that vs State. I saw a lot of the LSU/MSU game and State isn't a great team and as always the Tide will have advantage of a superior roster and coaching. Will be surprised if the Tide gets off to a slow start this weekend.

LSU at Ole Miss Jayden Daniels of LSU is having a great start, he's a real dual threat QB, he's like Sam Hartman a 6th year QB with experience. I'm thinking that if LSU got into a shootout with Arkansas then this game is likely to be a shootout as well. LSU should win, but with Kelly on the sidelines it's never a sure thing.

Florida at Kentucky. Gators with their big win over the Vols are in a good spot, but as Bill noted earlier Kentucky has recently had their number. At one time the Gators owned Kentucky, that's not the case and I don't know what to expect, Kentucky is one of 3 undefeated SEC squads.

Texas A&M at Arkansas Aggies not sure who will start at QB due to injury to Weigman last week but Max Johnson looked good so might not be a factor. Hogs are usually tough in the Hills but this one is being played in Jerryworld which is right in Scott's backyard but hell will freeze over before any of his money goes to Jerry's pockets. Hogs had a wild one in Baton Rouge last week so could be another one in Arlington.

Iowa State at Oklahoma Might not have included this game as the Cyclones were gutted by the gambling probe. They did show some life and beat Oklahoma State last weekend and they have been a thorn in the side of the Sooners under Matt Campbell. Cincy held OU to 20 points, could the Cyclones do the same? OU no doubt are pointing to the Red River Shootout with Texas but can't afford to look ahead either.

Mich State at Iowa Talk about 2 teams in trouble, MSU no doubt reeling emotionally from the Mel Tucker scandal and Iowa with a no offense offense. How is Kirk Ferentz doing with his son/OCoord Brian? There is a fake Kirk Ferentz account where the guy said it's not fair to put the shutout all on the offense since the defense was out there for 97 plays and didn't score a single point.

There certainly are other games out there that should be great to watch as well.

enjoy the weekend.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2023
  3. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

SC/Colorado should be some kind of shootout. Both with explosive offensive potential tho defense optional - the complete opposite of the Iowa effect. I see the O/U settling around 74, I got the over......I expect SC to easily hang half a hundred

4. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

I think I'd take the under in that game Terry. I don't disagree with the USC analysis, but I suspect some of the wind has been knocked out of the Buff sails, and they won't do much.

I doubt Auburn even gets a field goal.

Kansas with give the Horns a game for about a half, then depth will fall apart.

I hate LSU, and Kiffin... so I want a meteor to take out this game. :p
    Loser St will probably walk all over Ole Piss.

UF/Kentucky... something isn't right with the Wildcats, and the Gators seem to be getting better.
    I'm going with the reptiles.

Ags vs the Soooie people... Max beat em last year, so I hope for part deux this season!

Mich St/Iowa. Might be the most boring between the 20's game all year. I assume Iowa wins on a safety.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Thanks Scott, now I am being forced to rethink my picks!:(:p

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Scott88

Just heard that QB1 Weigman is out for the season with a broken foot.
    Dammit. WTF? We are cursed with QB injuries for the last 3 years...
    Max is excellent and can win for us, but he's GOT to stay upright for 8 games!

7. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Sorry to that Scott! QB injuries are troublesome to say the least.o_O

8. Terry O'Keefe

Aggies have been cursed with leg injuries to QB's. I feel bad for Connor as he really was playing well and now he's out and it'll take some hard rehab to get back to the level of play he's exhibited. Didn't Max Johnson's injury last year open the door for Conner?

Is it the dredded Lis-Frank situation?

9. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

Bobda...$50 says we hold you guys under 51 pts. :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. SanDiegoKid89

SanDiegoKid89 Member

Outside of Duke and Notre Dame I believe it’s a lackluster week. Auburn Georgia might be competitive for a half.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Scott88

You've obviously never watched the Aggies vs the Hogs.
    Lots of stupid things will happen allowing Arky to get a lead, then 95% of the time the Aggies wake up just in time to cross the finish line a bit ahead.
    :cool:

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Terry O'Keefe

Top 10 upset, Oregon State handled #10 Utah at home 21-7

The Utes still don't have Cam Rising.

BYU becomes the first of the new Big 12 teams to get a conference win, till beating Cincinnati last night the new teams were 0-4.

13. Scott88

Figuring out Utah right now is tough. I thought they might have another dominating defensive game in them... but not quite.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Terry O'Keefe

Bill's Gators are getting handled by Kentucky. 23-0 right now, I thought the Gators would roll to tell you the truth.

They got a score right before half and are down 23-7.

Sort of shocking to see Penn State and Northwestern tied at the half 10-10

Last edited: Sep 30, 2023
  15. Terry O'Keefe

It's a good thing that K J Jefferson the hog QB is built like JJ Watt or he'd already be in ICU.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Terry O'Keefe

Bad news for the Jayhawks, their starting QB has some sort of back problem and it's looking like he won't be available. He was the pre-season Offensive Player of the Year, Jalon Daniels.

USC is having a shoot out, suprisingly, with Colorado. It's 48-41 USC under 2 minutes to play. Huge surprise and really sort of a moral victory for the Buffs if you are OK with that.

17. SanDiegoKid89

SanDiegoKid89 Member

Great to see UK play well and get the win. Sets up a showdown in Athens next week. That Davis kid is special for the Cats.

18. SanDiegoKid89

SanDiegoKid89 Member

What a catch by Roman Wilson and a great throw by McCarthy. Respect for the helmet catch!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Terry O'Keefe

Kentucky won today with Service Academy passing game, threw for 69 yards. But a RB transfer kid from Vandy ran for 280 yards.

20. Scott88

Another great game for the refs against the Aggies. No targeting on that hit on Evan Stewart was trash. In spite of that, the Ags tossed the Hogs around pretty good.
    The defense seems to finally have figured it out.
    That front is nasty!

• Agree Agree x 1