Week 4 College Football

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Sep 19, 2023.

1. SanDiegoKid89

SanDiegoKid89 Member

This is will be a make or break game and performance for Kyle McCord. I’m glad Day finally took the training wheels off and let him be himself and just play the game.

• Like Like x 1
  2. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Alabama's second top 15 matchup of the young season. Normally, I relish these games but with our current offensive uncertainty, I wish we had a less worthy opponent this week.

3. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

Not sure it’s exactly make or break but it will certainly tell a lot more about him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

This will be a stiff test for our D secondary with 2 or 3 future Sunday WR coming at us.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

I get the impression from Coach Day that he plans to let it rip and not put unreasonable constraints on Kyle or the offense. Granted tho it's his first big road trip and he's as yet relatively inexperienced, McCord seems to be a bright, mature, cool, calm customer with loads of arm talent. Each of of the 3 QB's that have developed under and started for Day since he's been in Columbus have been Heisman finalists and 1st round draft choices. I have seen nothing yet from young McCord to think he's going to be any less productive than his predecessors

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

As I have posted previously, McCord looked much more comfortable last Saturday vs Western Kentucky.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

I hope you're talking about Tom McCord !

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I think the factor that will tip it is the Buckeye defense. It will be far and away the best defense we've faced. I also think that the Hartman factor is being overplayed. Sure Sam has been great so far and he has a ton of experience and has been very successful esp given that the played at Wake Forrest. But he never beat Clemson, never beat Notre Dame when he played us. Also I think McCord's supposed lack of experience is being overblown. He's was a highly rated QB, he's played behind a #1 NFL draft pick, it's his 3rd season in the system with Ryan Day. College football is littered with QB's who had never played and were stars as soon as they got the chance. Do I need to remind ND fans that Terry Hanratty had never taken a snap in college football when he lead the Irish to a Nat'l Championship in 1966? Many other examples all through the years, plus he's got NFL caliber Wr's and RB's around him.

Buckeyes are the favorites on the road as they well should. Just looking at the rosters it's not like the Irish have a roster like a Group of 5 team, but the Buckeye's have a much more talented roster based on recruiting rankings, 2024 NFL draft status rankings, they are coached by a guy who has only lost 6 games in his career, Clemson, Alabama, Oregon, Michigan (2) and Georgia. Marcus Freeman lost 4 games in his first season.

But all that aside there are also lots of instances of teams with superior talent losing to inferior teams. Not saying the Irish are inferior just not quite as talented.

The Irish will need to play a great game, error free and have some things fall their way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Terry O'Keefe

In the Pac12 saga, Washington State and Oregon State are still trying to figure out their next move. Apparently, they are trying to come up with a strategy to retain the Pac12 Brand and rebuild the conference. I guess if they can get a better media deal, heck a media deal of any type by getting some teams to leave their current conference and join the "new" Pac 12. Only ones realistically would have to be Mtn West teams.

The leadership at Washington State and Oregon State believe they will have information within the next 30 days that they need to evaluate whether it makes sense to rebuild under the Pac-12 brand while also proceeding with a legal case to take control of the future direction of the conference.

"I don't think it's going to take us months to get the full picture," Washington State president Kirk Schulz said Thursday. "I'm optimistic that in the next 30 days or so we're going to have a pretty decent idea of a lot of this and that'll help our decision-making and our legal strategy."

10. Terry O'Keefe

• Like Like x 1
  11. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

What Stu said. It's a big game, enjoy the hype.
    I find myself it a great place with regard to my team.
    I watched them play a decent but flawed game in Miami and end up getting outscored.
    Didn't phase me much at all.
    I used to brood for a whole week... I don't have the energy to waste on that anymore and I move on as the clock hits 00:00.

• Like Like x 2
  12. BuckeyeT

Can't have too many.....tick, tick, tick

13. BuckeyeT

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2023
  14. Don Ballard

This game is really gathering a great deal of attention. It will be interesting to see how things develop as the game progresses. I am undecided as to whether this will be an all out offensive display or a defensive
    battle in the trenches. Hopefully neither team will end up with any serious injuries that affect the games outcome.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. Don Ballard

Wisconsin scored twice quickly and pretty much had their way with Purdue last night. Coach Fickell looked very comfortable and well adjusted handling the Badger program.

16. Don Ballard

I made the mistake of reading far too many sports articles this morning. A predominantly number of people and sports enthusiasts seem to think the Irish will have their way this evening. It seems that the waiting period for kickoff has increased by about twelve hours.:( It appears Buckeye fans will be well represented in the stadium this evening.;)

17. BuckeyeT

Don you know as well as I, Buckeye Nation travels well and knows no bounds. I'm sure we'll be well represented tonite. My favorite example is our most recent trip to play CAL on the west coast. Yes, it is CAL but it was also 3000 miles from home.

upload_2023-9-23_8-14-43.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Terry O'Keefe

BuckeyeT....hurricane issues today?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Terry O'Keefe

Didn't see it but dramatic end to NC State/UVA game. UVA blocked the game wining FG attempt but in doing so the UVA player leaped over and on the NC State center which is illegal and NC State gets another shot and makes it for the walk off win.

20. BuckeyeT

Not too bad....passed just to the east of us and has pretty much moved on as of now. Alot of rain and a bit of wind last night and this morning but nothing substantial enough to do any damage. I had nightmarish thoughts yesterday of a power outage and alternative watching plans were made, but we're all good to go.... gameday

• Like Like x 2