Week 1 College Football

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Aug 28, 2023.

1. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

PAC 12 is the only P5 conference to go undefeated in Week 1. The mild blowing ineptitude of Larry Scott and university administrators which led to the conference imploding is beyond criminality negligent.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Certainly there is a large group of ND fans who hate Brian Kelly and hope he loses every game he coaches and gets fired post haste. Personally I don't hate Brian Kelly, and I don't hate LSU. I do hate FSU and would have been happier if LSU had buried those guys. To me LSU and Kelly are just another program and their coach is another coach, I don't care if they win or lose in general.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

When he came to Notre Dame he ostracized the older players and when things didn't go as well as he thought they would he blamed anyone who had been signed by Charlie Weis as the reason. When he left Notre Dame he acted like a thief escaping into the night, barely giving the players a good-bye. Then he shows up at LSU with a thick southern drawl and he's dances with his recruits. A total re-invention. The one consistency is his inability to hardly ever win a big game.

4. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Fans Are Demanding LSU Fire Head Coach Brian Kelly - The Spun: What's Trending In The Sports World Today

Here is a quote from Kelly about the priorities of Notre Dame vs LSU. It's an honest answer from a coach who is uniquely qualified to comment:

“There are priorities at Notre Dame,” Kelly said. “The architectural building needed to get built first. They ain’t building the architectural building here first. We’re building the athletic training facility first, [and] we’re in the midst of a $22 million addition to our athletic training facility. It’s something I said we needed, and we went and immediately raised the money.”

Last edited: Sep 4, 2023
  5. Terry O'Keefe

Duke had been playing Clemson off their feet, until they muffed a punt and Clemson scored quickly and now lead 7-6.

6. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Surprising first half for sure!:eek:

7. Terry O'Keefe

Duke has continued to give Clemson fits, but another turnover took a FG attempt off the table. So instead of being ahead 9-7, they are still down 7-6.

8. Terry O'Keefe

Riley Leonard with a great escape and a 44 yd TD run to open the 2nd half. This kid has looked really pretty darn good, never heard of him before tonight but he's got size, good arm and is far from a statue at QB.

Duke 13-7 early 3rd qtr

9. Terry O'Keefe

On ND fans unholy abscission with Brian Kelly's hoped for failure at LSU. Even Irish Illustrated's Tm O'Malley thinks it's over the top.

• There are 38 unpinned topics on the first page of our Four Horsemen Lounge Message Board. A full dozen are related to Brian Kelly, and four of the first nine on the second page are as well. Seems excessive…

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Clemson shooting themselves in the foot repeatedly. Now they trail 21 to 7

11. Terry O'Keefe

Wow Duke scores again. Clemson has missed two chip shot FG's and now has fumbled twice in the red zone. The most recent one was almost a scoop and score but Clemson QB Cade Klubnik ran down the the Duke's safety who picked it up and took off thought there was no way Klubnik a white QB was going to run down a black kid from behind. But he did.

12. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Duk's defense was very unforgiving tonight. Of course turnovers by Clemson did not help matters. Quite an upset by Duke.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2023
  13. Terry O'Keefe

I didn't get that dead ball call on the targeting. I don't think I've ever seen that before, I guess as soon as his butt hit the turf the play was over, so I get it. But it somehow doesn't seem right. Huge call for the Dukie's.

Give Elko a lot of credit though. I give Dabo credit he always is gracious after a win, I certainly have seen more than a few drive by handshakes from the losing coach, not from Dabo.

Tidbit. Quin Ewers last game as a high school QB was a loss in the state playoffs to Cade Klubniks team who went on to win the State Championhip. Klubnik is from Drew Brees high school.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Elko is a heck of a coach. Many (myself included) questioned leaving A&M to be head man at Duke (I dont think it was a pay raise). He's already shown he can get it done, so no telling where his next stop will be...

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Irish strength of schedule took a big hit last night. Hard to tell how good either of those teams is since there were so many critical mistakes. One thing for sure, Clemson's offense is not very potent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Respectfully, I think there is no impact at this early stage of the season because we play both teams. It should work itself out as the season progresses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Terry O'Keefe

Clemson 4/5 star players = 56
    Duke 4/5 star players = 2

• Informative Informative x 2
  18. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

I try not to make too much out of game 1. As I mentioned, I'm wasn't surprised at all at how "clunky" the offense looked given our new OL, QB and the IU DC time in Columbus. I expected him to have cooked up something that would give us trouble over the summer. I was a little more upset with 2nd half execution after adjustments tho. The big question mark for me was always going to be the OL, that remains the case after game 1. No real issues with McCord, he's gonna be fine, tho I would have like to see Brown get more quality snaps. I recall well the cries for CJ Stroud's head after his first start, not much has changed in C'bus in my near 70 years of watching! Defense gave us some indications that the Silver Bullets are back, tho I don't think IU's new fangled triple option was what they had prepared for.... 1-0 is always good

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

A bit off topic but related: I didn't realize until watching a full weekend of college football that the high pants (knees uncovered) is a real thing. I don't care about it one way or the other except for player safety. I have to believe that someone somewhere with reliable medical knowledge has stated unequivocally that the high pants/uncovered knees don't increase the possibility of knee injuries. The competitive benefits are obvious. More leg freedom = more speed. I'm going to look for information related to this widespread change because I haven't seen any.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

The AP has Colorado in the top 25.
    o_O