GOLF

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN, Jan 31, 2021.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I know you guys are dying to hear about my trip to Kohler. :D

As I said we didn't stay at the American Club, too $$$$. That meant we couldn't play Whistling Straits, whew! I'd seen that course a bunch and I remember Dustin Johnson getting penalized for grounding his club in a trap and he didn't even know he was in a trap. So I wasn't really eager to play it anyway. But lo and behold the Irish is it's sister course, there were traps everywhere. Yikes. It was beautiful and in great condition but very intimidating to look out from the tee and see all that, and those traps were not country club sand, there were small rocks and pebbles and dirt. I just had to take my medicine and enjoy the view! Links golf is not for me.

The other course we played was in the Blackwolf Run group, it was Meadow Valley's and it was more of a traditional course, very beautiful and while not dotted with traps everywhere it was pretty darn difficult. I think I mentioned I'm used to playing from "senior' tee's, well they don't have no stinkin' senior tee's in Destination Kohler courses. Put on your big boy driver and hit from the whites. So a few longer shots into the greens didn't help my scores much. Didn't break 90 here either.

We did drive up to a place north of Green Bay called Sister Bay it was also on Green Bay and was a cute little tourist town, had a meal and took the "3 hour" tour, didn't see Ginger or Mary Ann though on my boat. Saw brave people swimming though on the beaches. What was most impressive was the drive up from Sheboygan, through farm country. Fields of something as far as you could see and silo's everywhere. I figured this is what AJ must see on his drive to work. We did have some cheese curds and I don't know what I expected but not little fried balls of cheddar. They were tasty though. The one thing I didn't see was a single dairy cow, isn't Wisconsin the Dairy State?

The village of Kohler was very cute, lots of very nicely maintained but small 2 story brick homes. Outside of Kohler was a lot of the same but not so much brick mostly siding. I got the feeling that most of these homes were pre-WWII. Didn't see any "modern' subdivisions like I'm used to seeing in Houston.

I'd go back for sure, I could imagine having a summer cabin/home up here to escape the heat of the South, but head back for the winter.

• Like Like x 3
  2. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Suffered the ultimate indignation on the golf course yesterday here in steamy south Florida. Hit the flagstick stiff with a 7W from 178. Then three-putted from about 10 feet. Took three beers on the 19th to settle down, fellas.

• Funny Funny x 3
  3. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

I'm praying for you George.

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Been there, George. The 3 putts from close in, not hitting the flagstick from 178 yards. Nice fairway shot.

5. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

The great thing about golf (and how I miss it) is if you make the 10 footer it gives you reason to down 3 brews at the 19th hole in celebration.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

Miss golf...last played in early May. Knee (previous replacement) blew out. Had revision surgery 3 weeks ago. Recovery slower than last 2 replacements. Gotta do the rehab and I know you can be tired after but I come home from it the knee is swollen and painful and can't walk or bear much weight for 2 or 3 days. Cancelled tomorrow's rehab. Gonna have a Come To Jesus talk next week with the rehab people.

Was frustrated because when golfing or anything else I seemed out of breath too easy...then they find during my preop checkup I'm in atrial fib. (from previous Covid? who knows)...so now next Friday I have a cardioversion coming up...hope they don't set my hair on fire. Then maybe an ablation procedure or a Watchman (or both).

We have a beautiful course here and I've been riding around in a cart with my buddies whilst they play...gets me out of the house. Hoping to be back playing in September but things gotta go better.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Hoping to be back playing in September but things gotta go better. Hang in there Stu, preservation will pay rewards.:p

8. kp

kp Well-Known Member

I really prefer to walk,but when the temp goes above 90 I have a.hard time finishing. I haven't played in a month. It has been brutally hot here in Alabama.

9. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I've spent the past year hoping that there was a surgical solution to my balance and gait issues. I've had 4 MRI's in the past year and I'm giving up tube surfing. Doesn't look like there's anything a neurosurgeon can do. Most likely cause of the problem is advanced peripheral neuropathy. A year and a half ago we put a small deposit down on a cruise from Dubai to Singapore and I've decided that me and my walker are going to go. When the trip is over we'll have gone around the world which is always something I wanted to do. Still, you can't go anywhere here without passing golf courses and as I go by each one I think of the bad places I've hit balls there.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

That's when you release the JarHeads Squid....:)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

Don't fall for it folks...this is Gipper sandbagging for strokes.

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

"Don't fall for it folks...this is Gipper sandbagging for strokes."
    OK, I admit it, last week I was 2 under on the back nine before I lost my balance. Of course, I was playing Golden Tee.

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Terry O'Keefe

Stu are you in Ohio this summer? Sorry to hear about the knee's and the afib, hope you get some good news soon! Guy's we're getting old!! Things are wearing out, we're wearing out!

14. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Now you tell me!

• Funny Funny x 4
  15. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

Yeah...in Ohio all year...hoping to get back into our building in Fort Myers Beach by January but iffy. Still a lot of work to do.

I'll let y'all know how things go with the electrocution.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

I hate you guys for getting me to follow this sport.... even though I follow your personal antics moreso than the major tournaments.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Terry O'Keefe

58! That's incredible on any tour and any course.

18. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

It's less incredible on a par 70 course. On the normal par 72 it would be a 60 which has been done a number of times.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Terry O'Keefe

FEDEX starts, at TPC Southwind a course I have played. Beautiful Course. Lots of interesting holes including a sort of Island Green which I did hit, but 3 putt!!

Women are at Walton Heath, not a links course, for the AIG Womens Open. It's technically the Women's British Open but I guess they don't want to call it that anymore. $$$$$

PGA has announced the 2024 schedule: It's going back to a season with a start and an end no wrap around like it's been recently. Big changes to the Pebble Beach Pro AM. Phoenix Open is being down graded, I don't know why it's the biggest crowd and a really fun event.

The PGA Tour's FedEx Cup regular season in 2024 will include 36 tournaments from January through August, including four majors, the Players Championship and eight signature events, the tour announced Monday.

The regular season, which is returning to a calendar-based schedule for the first time since 2012, starts with two tournaments in Hawaii, The Sentry and Sony Open. The regular season ends with the Wyndham Championship in Greensboro, North Carolina, on Aug. 8-11.

The eight signature events will include limited fields with increased prize money and FedEx Cup points (700 to the winner). They include The Sentry, AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am, Genesis Invitational, Arnold Palmer Invitational presented by Mastercard, RBC Heritage, Wells Fargo Championship, Memorial Tournament presented by Workday and the Travelers Championship.

The AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am is replacing the WM Phoenix Open as a signature event (called a designated event this season) in 2024. The tournament will continue having amateurs compete alongside 80 professionals during the first two rounds, while only professionals will play the final 36 holes at Pebble Beach Golf Links. The three player-hosted invitationals -- the Genesis Invitational hosted by Tiger Woods, Arnold Palmer Invitational and Memorial Tournament hosted by Jack Nicklaus -- will include a 36-hole cut to the top 50 scores and ties and any player within 10 shots of the lead. The invitationals will also award $4 million to its winners.

PGA Tour unveils '24 regular season, playoff slate

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

In recent years the AT&T has had a less than stellar field. For me at least it's lost some of its appeal although I'll always watch events at Pebble. I wonder if they included it to boost it's appeal. The Scottsdale tournament has always been a popular event. The weather is usually nice in the middle of winter, the course is one many have played, the fans are absolutely nuts, and it's on Super Bowl Sunday which allows you to pass the time until kickoff. Hope it still has a good field. I wonder if they plan on rotating the signature events to keep fan and sponsor interest.

• Agree Agree x 1