College Football 2023

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Feb 28, 2023.

1. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Don, we are fine. H has a history of sanctimonious comments and certainly understand criticisms when his deeds don’t match up with his past statements.

• Like Like x 2
  2. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

Urban was never suspended or sanctioned by the NCAA for lying to or not cooperating with the NCAA or for recruiting violations, it was never an NCAA matter. Urban was suspended by the University President for not being forthcoming to the press about a private personnel matter regarding domestic issues with a troubled young coach and his drunken wife.

Now Jim Tressel, that's a different story. He WAS sanctioned by the NCAA for not being forthcoming to them about players trading dirty gym socks, jerseys, shoes and personal trophies for tattoos, there were no recruiting violations. After an initial multi-game suspension announcement, he was given the "opportunity" to resign and his employment was terminated by the University and he was given a 5 year show cause penalty by the NCAA.

Since we're comparing, it would seem Coach Harbaugh is getting the kid glove treatment here, imho

Last edited: Jul 26, 2023
  3. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Probably an unspoken concession by the NCAA that they really have no power anymore, and certainly not over members of the big leagues.

4. Bobdawolverweasel

The report of the investigation commissioned by OSU that OSU cited in support of the suspension focused not on misleading comments made a press conference but this.

The report also noted

Is having lunch during NCAA down time with 2 already committed recruits who were visiting AA on their own dime equivalent to this?

Farrey: A timeline of Jim Tressel's fall

My earlier post did not take issue with the proposed penalty but only to argue that a 4 game suspension is pretty significant. Hell, if you peruse the comments on M boards today, I am sure nearly all of the posters there would think my observations treasonous. But here I guess my role is perceived as a Wolverine apologist. :(

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. kp

kp Well-Known Member

You're right about Tennessee, however their penalties are very appropriate for their offenses. And I might say they deserved them too. That coaching staff has had significant dents made in their careers via the Show Cause orders.

6. Bobdawolverweasel

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2023
  7. kp

kp Well-Known Member

8. Scott88

For clarity, my comment was a statement about the status of the NCAA, and not a condemnation or endorsement of the penalties levied against UM.

9. Bobdawolverweasel

The first shoe drops in the PAC 12. Totally baffled and stunned how a major conference with storied programs located in some of the wealthiest areas in the
    country has imploded.

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

That is a shocker, even though Colorado makes a lot of sense from a geography stand point.

Makes me wonder now if this comes off will the Arizona schools follow?

11. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Colorado left the PAC 12 because of Big 12 stability?

12. Terry O'Keefe

So the NIL legislation is out for all to see the details. So far the discussions I've seen complain that the players are getting screwed. I'm not sure I'd agree with that, but then I am one who didn't really like the whole NIL deal to start with and am not surprised we are where we are.

13. Scott88

I'm still waiting for someone to logically explain to me how a player receiving the opportunity for a $100k education including room and board, over the top tutoring assistance, nutrition, medical care, and a host of other benefits can be screwed by whoever it is working the tool???

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Tuberville is one of the bills authors. That surprises me. I didn't think he could spell NIL.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Terry O'Keefe

B12 has reportedly voted to admit Colorado, so it's getting more and more likely that the rumors are true. They would join the B12 next year after the Pac12 media contract expires and won't have to pay a buyout of their contract.

That would give the B12 thirteen teams, easily could take the Az schools and Utah should they decide to come. I do wonder what the Pac 12 will do with now only 9 teams (should Colorado actually leave). San Diego State has reaffirmed itself to the Mountain West. JO'Co always said that the Pac 12 wouldn't want to expand to lesser academic schools like SDSU. Also said that BYU and Boise State would also never be considered.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Terry O'Keefe

I keep reading that UCONN is a potential B12 target. I don't like that at all, beyond basketball they have nothing to offer. From what I'm reading the Az schools aren't tied together and Arizona is interested. I like them a lot better than UCONN.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. BuckeyeT

My understanding is that the notice of allegations contained more alleged improprieties than just a lunch, but also included misdeeds by staff members relating to illegal practice and workout activities for which some assistants will be sanctioned and at least one will receive a "show cause" penalty. If that is not the case, I stand corrected.

The only NCAA finding relevant to Tressell contained in the NCAA Public Infractions Report was as follows:

"UNETHICAL CONDUCT. [NCAA Bylaw 10.1] The former head coach failed to deport himself in accordance with the honesty and integrity normally associated with the conduct and administration of intercollegiate athletics as required by NCAA legislation and violated ethicalconduct legislation when he failed to report information concerning violations of NCAA legislation"

Once again, my understanding that the notice of allegations received by X alleged that Harbaugh was dishonest and misled the NCAA investigators about the violations seemly the same behaviors for which Tressell was given "show cause" penalties. If that is not the case, I stand corrected, if so I'm comfortable with my original statement the he's getting the kid glove treatment.

I will leave it at that as today it all seems so small and trivial to me. We were just given the news that our 12 year old Golden Retriever, Flora, who is as much beloved (if not more) and part of the family as am I has leukemia and only likely to be with us for a short time longer. We are devastated, it's a tough day. God bless you all, hug your fur babies and all those you love

18. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

I will leave it at that as today it all seems so small and trivial to me. We were just given the news that our 12 year old Golden Retriever, Flora, who is as much beloved (if not more) and part of the family as am I has leukemia and only likely to be with us for a short time longer. We are devastated, it's a tough day. God bless you all, hug your fur babies and all those you love

BuckeyeT, sorry to hear about your family pet, stay the course.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Bobdawolverweasel

I’ll defer replying re H and tell you how sorry I am about Flora. Dogs are one of the greatest of nature’s creations and I am sure Flora realized she won doggy lotto when she became a member of the Spencer family.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. BuckeyeT

Thanks fellas, here's a pic of the whole fam. Flora is the one on the left. FB_IMG_1671768336689.jpg

• Friendly Friendly x 1