College Football 2023

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Feb 28, 2023.

1. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

They are trying to "manufacture" rivalries. Sure they've got the traditional ones up there, no sweat...but each school has to have two big rivals??? Determined by the conference??? Some just don't have 2 biggies.

I'd say Michigan is one school with two no-brainer rivals. Purdue-Indiana, UCLA-USC...no problem. But I never considered Illinois a big rival for Purdue (Always considered ND a big rival even though we'd usually get our @ss kicked)...nor Penn State a big rival for Ohio State.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Robo QB? I guess it's a good thing. I wonder why you don't just use your QB's to do this, but they seem to be saying that receivers don't have enough reps and can't practice on their own. This solves that problem.

3. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

Our guy Harrison Jr might be interested.....

4. Terry O'Keefe

In the Midwest only Ohio State, ND and W. Michigan have invested in the system. I still don't get it, isn't that what backup QB's and walkon QB's are supposed to do? But it is pretty cool technology. Tennis has had a robot practice partner for years and of course so has baseball.

5. Terry O'Keefe

Big 12 Mexico!!! Ole' :D I like this better than NFL going to England. But still not seeing that Mexico is some untapped revenue source.

The Big 12 Conference is extending its reach into Mexico, announcing plans Thursday for men's and women's basketball games to be played in Mexico City late next year while also exploring a possible football bowl game in Monterrey.

"Mexico is a natural extension to the Big 12 footprint," commissioner Brett Yormark said Thursday. "Through Big 12 Mexico, our student-athletes will have the opportunity to compete in an international setting, and our conference will have the chance to showcase our brand across Mexico."

Kansas and Houston, as reported by ESPN on Wednesday, will play each other in men's and women's basketball at Mexico City's Arena CDMX in December 2024. After that, women's soccer teams and baseball teams from the Big 12 will participate in exhibitions against clubs from the region.

6. Terry O'Keefe

OK folks here's the list of teams who have a chance to win the Nat'l Championship. it's a good article on the Athletic so unless you subscribe you can't read. The guy does say though that it's possible for a new team to get a real shot if certain things happen. For example what if Texas Quinn Ewers finally leives up to the expectations? What if USC actually has a good defense? What if LSU QB Jayden Daniels has a Joe Burrow like leap in his 2nd year as the QB? Stuff like that.

One of those 16 teams will be your 2023 national champ. In reality, you could probably cut that list in half because the concentration of talent at the top is so much more lopsided than it has been in the past. Literally 90 percent of the players on Alabama’s roster are blue-chippers. That’s roughly 30 more blue-chip players on the Crimson Tide than the teams on the bottom of the list above, and that doesn’t even take into account that they also probably signed higher quality blue-chippers. For context, the Ohio State team that won the first College Football Playoff in 2014 had a blue-chip ratio of 68 percent. The rich are getting richer with the passing of each year.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Terry O'Keefe

Interesting, the IRS has declared that donations to these "Collectives" that are paying college players even if the players do charity work are not Tax Deductible. Since I don't give money to them it doesn't affect me, but I do wonder if some of the big donors might think twice about donating if they don't get the tax break.

• Like Like x 1
  8. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

So if the donors give the money directly to the Charity and the Charity then pays the players, is it then deductible? Sorry, thinking like a lawyer.

9. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

I haven't been able to deduct my donations for a while, but that might be due to the donation allowing me to then buy tickets... Not sure how all that crosses over.

10. Terry O'Keefe

Don't know the answer on work arounds gip. Maybe the big donors don't care about deductions they just want the 4 and 5 star players their coaches tell them they need. Win baby win!

Schedules are out for 2024 in the SEC, Texas goes to College Station for the A&M game. Dates haven't been determined as yet. Certainly will be a tougher schedule for the Longhorns but we should have a high level of talent going into 2024. Question of course will be about Sark.

11. Scott88

Here it is:

[​IMG]

12. Terry O'Keefe

Scott I thought you guys were done with Jerry World?

13. Scott88

Next year the contract FINALLy expires... Ugh.
    F that sorry bastard Jerry J for making it last this long!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Terry O'Keefe

Elite 11 QB camp is this week and Alabama verbal, Julian Sayin, was #1 after both the 1st and 2nd days.

Irish QB and son of Lloyd Carr, CJ Carr is having a good camp in the top 5 both days.

15. Terry O'Keefe

I guess they are just letting everybody know that they are available, right? Pac 12 would make some sense, they are a So Cal school, pretty good sports programs certainly not an academic fit if that is a consideration. But with the Pac12 on the ropes, why join a listing ship? Maybe the Pac12 gets a TV deal that will give the schools the money needed to compete, but what if they don't and Oregon and Washington leave for the Big 10?

16. Scott88

Jumping out of the plane without a chute seems kinds dicey... guess we'll see how they land.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2023
  17. Terry O'Keefe

Is this kid like 16 if he skips 2 grades to enroll at Ole Miss this summer? Is this really a good thing for his development? Is he better off playing in HS or sitting on the bench at Ole Miss? What about his physical development, it's a big leap from 16 to 18 I would think. But I guess he'll be getting some nice NIL money that he wouldn't get playing HS football.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Simmons is as old as the senior players already and has the classes needed to graduate. He was pledged to the Gators until Ole Miss outbid us and we were expecting him to reclassify. So he is not going there as a young 16 year old.

Don't know the story as to why he was 2 years behind however the reclassification was not unexpected but to Colorado part was.

19. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Florida's 2024 schedule is brutal. Both Texas A&M and Texas, Georgia, LSU and Tennessee. All highly ranked, a real gauntlet for us.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

The insanity that we call "college" football just keeps intensifying. Dylan Raiola, the latest and greatest HS QB is transferring to another high school. This will be his fourth HS in four years in at least three different states. I wonder if he can read or write.
    He is heading to UGA where academics will never be a consideration. Stetson Bennett managed to matriculate there for seven years with getting a sniff of a degree.

• Agree Agree x 2