Notre Dame Winter.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Dec 3, 2022.

1. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

What I quoted was that commentator's shot at Notre Dame. It was nothing meant to be negative against the SEC. I don't understand how you read it that way.

2. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Not sure I understand why so many people have their panties in a wad over ND's decision not to fund the buyout, but I understand ND fandom, so I just sigh and tell myself it's par for the course. I'm sure this won't be the only issue to arise during the offseason. :rolleyes:

3. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

So we have rookies all over our coaching staff now. Great.

4. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I'm in the same boat as Sid. I'm not sure that Swarbrick was the one who made the decision not to pay Utah. Unlike many schools, ND has an administration that at times seems to micromanage things. I brought up the Rees move not to blame the SEC for anything but to show that ND might not believe in buyouts for asst. coaches. ACs move around all the time. Restricting that movement with buyouts seems rather petty to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Then why even mention the SEC? This was Utah and Notre Dame.

6. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Without the buyouts, contracts become totally meaningless instead of sort of meaningless.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. George Krebs

I'll try to explain one more time. First of all, I didn't mention it. The quy I quoted did. His point was that the SEC is as prominent as they are because they are financially committed to success. In this case, he made the point that a $2.7M buyout would not stop an SEC team. He used that analogy to make his assertion that Notre dame is not financially committed to success at the level of the SEC. I hope this clears this up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

Is it just me or does our new QB Coach(Guidugli) seem to have more experience than the new OC(Parker)? Maybe co/OC? Looks like he was OC at Cincy???

• Like Like x 1
  9. kp

kp Well-Known Member

George, I never said you mentioned it. As to what he said and the way he said....I guess it's a perspective thing. And you really don't need to explain it to me (again). I get that you took it that way.

10. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

If true, that is relevant because...........?

11. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I know our last O line coach had a hell of a lot more experience than our OC. Probably happens a lot. What are we doing to replace Harry H?

12. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I don't know who will be the OL Coach pf course, but given the current atmosphere even coach of the "7" Blocks of Granite of yore were to rise up, he'd not be considered good enough.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

14. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

15. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

16. Terry O'Keefe

Eric Hansen got a copy of Jack Swarbrick's responses to ND alum/fans that contacted him about the Ludwig controversy. Swarbrick suggests there was a misunderstanding about Ludwig's buyout cost, yet Notre Dame was never unwilling to pay Ludwig's buyout. Here's Swarbrick's email response:

Thank you for your email. To paraphrase the character Terence Mann, played by James Earl Jones in one of my favorite movies, Field of Dreams, we admire your passion … misdirected though it might be, it is still a passion. And your passion and that of our other fans is among Notre Dame’s most valuable resources.

In this case, the passion is, however, misdirected because it springs from a fundamental misunderstanding. During our discussion with a candidate for our offensive coordinator position, a national reporter accurately noted that the candidate’s buyout in his current contract was an “obstacle.” Without seeking any clarification from us, some of the individuals who comment on Notre Dame Football concluded that this meant that Notre Dame was unwilling to pay the buyout. That is not and never was the case. As a policy matter, we do not discuss the details of personnel matters but given the extraordinary reaction by you and others in this instance I am comfortable sharing that while, prior to this week, our discussions with candidates never reached the point where we extended a formal offer, we communicated clearly in each and every instance that any offer we made would include our funding of their buyout with their current institution. To the extent the buyout was an “obstacle” in the case of one candidate, that was true of a brief period of time only because of conflicting information that had been provided to us regarding the amount and mechanics of the buyout. However, it was an obstacle we knew could be quickly resolved.

In correcting the record in this instance, I also want to be clear that Notre Dame will never apologize for being a good steward of the resources provided to us by our fans and partners. Our focus is not matching the expenditures made by our competitors; it is making investments calculated to advance us toward our goals of 1) promoting the University of Notre Dame, 2) providing an unrivaled educational experience for our student-athletes, and 3) winning a national championship in football. That is why for the past decade our investment in the coach-educators who comprise our assistant coaching staff in football has always placed us among the top-10 nationally and that will continue to be the case as we support Coach Freeman in his hiring of a staff that meets the exacting criteria he articulated for me when this hiring cycle began.

Finally, given your strong interest in Notre Dame having the resources it needs to compete effectively with the most successful athletic programs in the country, I encourage you to become a member of Notre Dame’s Rockne Athletics Fund (Rockne Athletics Fund) Through this giving society our fans, family, and alumni provide the resources that are critical to our ability to meet our commitment to provide our student-athletes with the best academic, athletic and student experience in college athletics. If you are already a contributor to the Rockne Athletics Fund, on behalf of our student-athletes I thank you for your support.

Be Irish!

17. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

You tell 'em, Jack!

18. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

19. Terry O'Keefe

If you didn't watch the Irish women tonight, shame on you. What a great game, went to OT and after it looked like we were going to a 2nd OT, Olivia Miles hits a 2 point shot at the buzzer for the win. it was especially good because she lost control on the ND inbounds pass and Louisville got it and made the shot to tie it with 3.8 secs left. So for her to come back and hit the winner was awesome.

The win puts us into a tie with Duke for 1st place, although Duke by virtue of beating us in South Bend recently owns the tie breaker with us.

But this was a big win.

20. George Krebs

In fairness, there is another category that transcends the tenure of all those inexperienced OCs that can be answered by "none" as well.

We can argue this whodunit endlessly. One thing we cannot argue is that the Irish are heading into spring drills without two of the top three assistant coaching positions filled at this point.