The Ultimate NIL Analysis

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by George Krebs, Dec 19, 2022.

1. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

I think we are all somewhat dismayed at the extent the NIL and Portal Transfers have de-constructed the college football game we all love in three short years. But I don't think any of us have completely analyzed the scope of the current and future destruction of not only NCAA football but its domino effect on sports in general. This article is enlightening and frightening with its implications, many of which have already been realized.

Here's How The NIL Program Is Making A Joke Out Of College Football (sportscroll.com)

2. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

One disagreement I have with that article is that the NCAA didn't really just institute a NIL system. They were left with no real choice once the legislature in California decided to make it legal. The NCAA had two real choices, bar California schools from NCAA competition or adopt similar rules to the rest of the country. Some people just don't like football and this legislation was like a bullet to the heart of the sport.

3. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, I believe the transfer portal and NIL, while difficult for college football fandom to swallow, myself included, do not represent the "death knell" of college football. Far from it. College football continues to be alive and well. Of course, it's a monumental challenge to all football coaches and programs to adapt in a way that ensures success. IMO the smart coaches and solid programs will adapt and will put forth successful teams. What happens on the field won't change. The sport will continue to be just as exciting and fun as it's always been.

• Like Like x 3
  4. kp

kp Well-Known Member

I respectfully disagree. The NFL has been turning out solid programs and successful teams for many, many years. I stopped watching them when I couldn't recognize the players on "my" team. When that happens to the Tide...I will be done. Now, the college game will not die just because I stop watching. It will just die for me.

5. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

I think kp is right.
    One of the BIG differences between college and NFL is the association with a school/alumni.
    If this thing plays out as it might (players end up as employees, with little to no educational requirement) and players just wear a jersey with a school name on it - and they are constantly moving... I think a LOT of the fans will lose interest.
    The common bond will be gone.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. George Krebs

Of course I agree with KP and Scott. I'm already losing interest. Team pride and conference pride have got to suffer. Well over 1000 players will be donning a different uniform next near. You will never convince me that the new mercenary NCAA CFB will generate the rabid interest of the past. The student-athlete was the draw; that concept has been gone for years. these kids are simply contractors who now chase the best NIL money they can find on an annual basis. My grandson wants a ND jersey for Christmas. I got him #14. The player who made that # popular left school early and I have no idea who wears it now or who may wear it next year.

Another heartwarming reality..... Since hiring Deion Sanders, 13 Colorado recruits have already lost their scholarships (msn.com)

And Neon Deion blows up Jackson State on his way out the door.... Numerous Jackson State players, including both of Deion Sanders' sons and 5-star Travis Hunter, enter NCAA Transfer Portal (msn.com)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2022
  7. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Several Coaches including UTSA coach Jeff Traylor and Washington State coach Jake Dickert are calling out the tampering that is going on with the Portal.

"There's more tampering going on than you could ever imagine," Dickert said before the Cougars’ bowl game against Fresno State last week. "We've had guys contact our players' parents. We had a coach from another school contact one of our players and offer him NIL. A coach.

"So, there’s more things going on behind the scenes that you can’t even imagine. You can’t even imagine the things that are happening to try and pry our players away from this place."

UTSA football coach alleges top schools are trying to 'poach' talent

8. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Dabo is bringing NIL recruiting to a celestial level.

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. George Krebs

The NCAA should simply dissolve and Barnum & Bailey can take over "college" football.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. George Krebs

You have to believe that Phil Knight and NIKE are behind the sudden transformation of Oregon Ducks football. They picked a lot of pockets on Signing day including two of ND's top pledges.

11. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

12. George Krebs

College football has become completely perverted. In fact, it needs a new name because college and football really don't go together any longer. Maybe the Corporate Football League?

13. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

That is a true and depressing article.

14. George Krebs

15. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

So the gist of the article seems to be criticizing Gene Smith for his efforts...then closes the article like this;
    "Ohio State continues to recruit at a high level because of the program's rich history and ability to develop talent. However, the Buckeyes need to be ready to spend more NIL money if they're going to avoid losing recruits to lesser teams."

Sounds as if he's criticizing Smith and at the same time saying he's telling it like it is.

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Was it Shakespeare who coined, "Thou doth protest too much" or something like that? I don't question those who are concerned about the long-term effect of NIL on recruiting. It certainly is a game changer. I wonder if the impact is going to be as significant in the long run as some fear. If programs like Ohio State and Notre Dame lose recruits to NIL, it seems like a mixed bag. Only upper tier recruits are going to have enough NIL potential to be "vulnerable" to better offers, like the kid who went from ND to OR to OK. If you're losing kids like that, you should be recruiting at a high level. If that's the case, is the "net" loss a back breaker for the team? Will ND be a lesser team because that kid flipped? No one knows the answer. It will be at least 3 to 6 seasons before we have definitive information on the impact of NIL and the transfer portal. In the meantime, I go back to my earlier post which opines that the smart coaches and programs who learn how to successfully navigate these two minefields will continue to field top-level programs. Of course, this all assumes that no controls are put in place and that it continues to be the "wild, wild west".

17. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Once again Sid, for me at least, it's not only the wins and losses, it's the fact that the roster may change every year and the star this year played for someone else last year and the only reason he is here is because he can make more money here. Or it may be that my school has more money than your school so I was able to get your guy to become my guy. That's why I stopped watching the NFL.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Kyle, of course there will be players like you describe, but not every single one. To my earlier point, the coaches who can judge correctly a player's fit (re: team chemistry) and attitude (team or me), and other important intangibles, will be successful. Those coaches/programs who give the player what he wants just to get him on board eventually are going to pay the piper, so to speak. I believe that because it happens. How many MLB teams are paying the piper because of massive contracts that didn't pan out? I know it may seem like apples and oranges but the underlying principle is the same. I'm sure some here would disagree, but I don't know anyone who can predict the future with certainty. We'll just have to see how it plays out.

19. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Yeah I guess I'm just pessimistic

20. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Hey, I don't blame you. It's an unsettling time in college football. My nature is that of an optimist. I often have paid a price for my optimism. Who knows? This may be one of those situations where I misread the room. We'll see.