Notre Dame Winter.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Dec 3, 2022.

1. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Yeah, our kids (and grandkids) are what we've taught them to be. We created this multi-billion dollar business that used to be a sport.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

The Senior Bowl is a stepping stone to the NFL. It's coached by NFL coaches and players get to showcase their talents during practice as well as the game. For players who have the NFL as a goal it's certainly more beneficial than risking injury in a non New Year's bowl. I'm guessing Foskey's agent recommended it to him.

3. kp

kp Well-Known Member

That's true...but it has always been true. This year is no different from past years.

4. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

Young whippersnappers! ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I didn't watch but apparently Marquette took the men to the wood shed, they had a layup drill on our lack of defense.

6. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I watched as much as I could stand. It's sad. With the experience and talent we have, we should at least be competitive, which we were not. I've been an unapologetically avid supporter of Mike Brey over the years. I can't do it anymore.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Terry O'Keefe

Marcus Freeman is still talking about Drew Pyne and the portal. I find it interesting that it's drawn so much attention. I can't think of another player who left who has gotten this much attention. I mean so many ND fans blamed all of our problems on Drew and also on Tommy Rees. So many voiced that they hoped he'd transfer or certainly that he'd be back to the bench next season. So when he left they are hurt and outraged and Freeman has to talk about it at every press conference.

So is there a positive? I think there is, while I want to finish the season with a win I think that it's also a good opportunity to see where Buchner is and where Steve Angeli is in terms of performance. If Drew had been here for the game they probably hardly get any game reps.

8. Terry O'Keefe

what Freeman said AGAIN about Drew.

"You have to be as honest as you can. It's what I told our coaches. We have to be honest with our players. We had to be honest - I love Drew Pyne. Part of that love for him was to say, we're possibly looking into the Transfer Portal to take a quarterback. I could have not told him and lied and said we're not going to take a quarterback and waited until after the game and said we're going to look for a quarterback.

"That's not what we're built on. We're built on real authentic relationships. Having those honest conversations, you know what, Drew made the best decision for Drew. I say it's the best because he made it. We're so grateful for what he did for our program this year. I wish him all the best, but I'll never go back and regret the conversation that we had about our plans moving forward. I can't wait to see him thrive and do great things in college football this upcoming year.

9. Terry O'Keefe

Tommy Rees Press Conference.

On what he’s seen from Tyler Buchner through four practices:
    “It's been a while, right? I think there's like a really good grasp of the totality of what we're trying to do offensively. I attribute some of that to him staying engaged throughout this whole 10-12 week process. I think him being up with us helped some of those things with how he sees the game, the vantage point of it. You're always eager to see, OK, how does he play in the pocket? What's the command? Is there a rust?

“I thought today was really one of his strongest practices he's had in a couple of years here. He was really sharp today. He's been smooth. There hasn't been a ton of issues, in terms of what we're asking him to do. I'm proud of the way he stayed engaged and was able to kind of hit the ground running a little bit.”

10. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

Ken Niumatalolo will not return for the 2023 season. I'm not sure but I felt like this was coming. I feel it's good for ND but bad for NAVY. He knows how to run that triple option better than anyone in the country.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't think a service academy is ever going to do much better than he has.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

-sigh-

13. Tim Gentry

You just gotta hope Buchner goes out there and has a descent game in the gator bowl. They sound they are going to NOT have him run that much which is fine. If he just passes a little better than Pyne and has the escapability we know he has and ability to extend the play if they break down we should be just fine.

14. Tim Gentry

South Carolina starting DL will be going to NFL draft and had this to say..
    “Nah, I’m not playing no bowl game,” he said. “They can have the bowl game.”
    interesting....

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Rah rah rah ! Hit the bricks.

16. Tim Gentry

South Carolina starting RB hit the transfer portal.

17. Tim Gentry

Supposedly there were rumors flying that verbal commit Jeremiyah Love was considering a flip to Michigan. But...when asked...

“We ain’t going to no (expletive) Michigan,” the source stated firmly without needing to be prompted.

The source was incredulous that anyone would believe that while also being able to guess the source of the rumor.

18. Terry O'Keefe

There is a candle for Coach Mike Leach in the Grotto.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Terry O'Keefe

While the men's basketball program is in trouble, the women are doing very well. Coach Ivey garnered a lot of criticism in her first year when she missed the NCAA tourney and many questioned her on everything, recruiting, coaching, managing the team, etc. Last year was an improvement, but there were a number of surprising transfers and people wondered what was going on and she only brought in 1 freshman, albiet an all-star 2 time Ohio player of the year in KK Brandsford. Some complained that the 2 freshmen for last year were recruited before she was the HC. this year the team is playing well and is back in the top 10 and she now has 3 top 20 freshmen coming for 2023 and one of them will be enrolling early this January, Cassandre Prosper. She also used the portal well to fill in slots esp in the Post.

So right now she is gaining respect and experience as a HC. We might not still quite be Final Four level but we are really good and the future looks bright.

The men and Mike Brey have lost Sid, that's the same as LBJ losing Waler Cronkite. Time for him to go. Problem is that most don't feel that Jack Swarbrick will bring in a coach who can turn it around that he will go with the easy hire of one of Brey's former assistants none of which inspire confidence. Of course you never know, I doubt if the hire of Digger Phelps from Fordham would thrill anybody in today's internet driven world.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Terry O'Keefe

The good thing about women's basketball is that you at least have a chance to build a team with players who stay 4 years. There are a few who opt out for their last season to go to the WNBA, but it's not the financial bonanza that going to the NBA is for them financially. Of course there are plenty of transfers. There is NIL money, but not many women's basketball players are making the kind of money that football does and while it might be a factor I don't believe NIL is a very big factor in recruiting.

• Winner Winner x 1