College Football 2022

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Aug 26, 2022.

1. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

At lease Bill, there will be some new teams which is good for college football in my opinion.o_O

2. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Agree and I think I would like to see TCU in. No disrespect but I am pulling for Tennessee to be one of the teams which would of course leave out one to the Big 10 teams.

However I would like to see the playoffs expanded. LSU and Bama are very good teams and would be in an expanded playoff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Bill, I'm not against the expanded playoffs but Alabama is not a championship level team at this time. Neither is LSU but they did beat Alabama. I think Georgia is and should be the favorite to win it all.

4. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

8 teams have some shot at the CFP, some better than others of course.

3 SEC teams have a shot, Georgia seems a lock, Tenn has a good shot at slipping into the #4 slot but it will be tight with the loser of the Ohio State/Michigan game. LSU would need to win the SEC championship and become the 1st 2 loss team in the playoff era, not likely.

2 Big 10 teams, winner of Ohio State/Michigan is a lock, loser is a maybe.

1 Big 12 Team. TCU must win out.
    1 Pac 12 Team. USC must win out and hope they can do so in a way that impresses the committee and they slip into the 4th slot over Tenn and loser of Ohio State/Michigan
    1 ACC Team. Clemson must win out and like USC hope they can slip ahead of the Vols and Ohio State/Michigan loser.

I think it ends up Georgia, Ohio State/Mich winner, Tenn, and ?????

5. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

This has a place on my top 10 list of favorite moments in the stadium over the 60+ years I've been a fan. An extraordinary young man....top 100 recruit, torn ACL in senior year in HS, 4 ACL's subsequent, never set foot on the field yet still a 2X captain and selected as one of 3 student speakers at the installation of the new University President. Worshipped by his teammates for his dedication and support in spite of his circumstances. More tears and hugs on the sideline perhaps than I've ever seen at a sporting event....certainly in a 56-14 game. Lasting memory for me.....speaks volumes to the culture/values that Coach Day has/is building

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. BuckeyeT

This is a tough one. I agree with KP, Hooker is gone after this year and #2 needs legit reps running the offense but there is a point that you have to respect the game. We have a similar situation and Day is getting a lot of heat from all sides for 1) not giving our back-up Kyle McCord enough legit reps at running the offense, and from others, 2) for running up the score. Can't please everybody, just gotta use your judgement and do what you believe to be in the best interest of your kids and program and everybody else can go pound sand

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Terry O'Keefe

Yeah it's tough to handle those blowouts at the end when you have a QB who needs some reps. Kelly never gave backups much to do other than hand the ball off when we had a blowout. Other programs like OU under Stoops and Riley ran up big scores whenever they could. As far as I have observed when teams have a really good QB, they rarely sit the kid. I've always assumed they want the kid to build his stats for Heisman, AA, NFL etc consideration. Injuries and performance can change that as we saw last year at OU when Spencer Rattler failed to live up to Heisman hype and Caleb Williams his backup was given a shot and won the job.

But in that Missouri/Tenn game I'd like my team to take a knee and run out the clock up 59 to something.

That said I wanted the Irish to hang 50 on UNC and we had the chance but couldn't do it, after 50 I'm good with the backup and not really trying to hang 60 or 70 on them.

8. Terry O'Keefe

I saw an article by a Alabama writer calling for Saban to sit Bryce Young vs Austin Peay this weekend. Not bench him but give him the weekend off to rest.

He claims Young isn't the same QB as he was before hurting his shoulder.

9. kp

kp Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem sitting Young down this Saturday but Young was the only reason we beat Ole Miss last Saturday.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Don Ballard

Only if needed as they say!o_O

11. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  12. Terry O'Keefe

On ESPNU one of the hosts said that if things get crazy in the Pac12 the next 2 weeks there could be a 5 way tie at the top!

The Big Ten West also looks like it could end up complicated as well, maybe not a 5 way tie, but tie breakers might be needed.

13. Terry O'Keefe

Lot of games Week 12, Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri ...none of real importance except to those teams playing.

About half the SEC are off this week playing buy games. But a lot of meaningful conference games in the Pac12 and the Big 12.

1. Georgia @ Kentucky Kentucky was looking good early but now they have lost 4 out of their last 6 including last weekend to Vanderbilt. Make that 5 out of 7.

2. Ohio State @ Maryland Terps are a midlevel Big 10 team so the Buckeyes have to take them seriously and they should win, the key at this point in the season is to not have anymore injuries to key players. They need everybody on deck for next weeken
    3. Michigan vs Illinois Illini are a dangerous team, have a good OL and defense. Probably can't win in Ann Arbor though. Doubt if Harbaugh lets his team look past them to Ohio State.

4. TCU @ Baylor Part of the gauntlet the Frogs are going to have to run through to get to the CFP. Baylor can beat them if they have a bit of a letdown after that big emotional win in Austin. It's going to be tough for TCU to make it through the season undefeated. This is a must win game for them. Lose 1 game and they are out. They will be at the bottom of the 1 loss teams

5. Tenn @ So.Carolna Gamecocks should be an easy afternoon for the Vols. Vols offense is back and it'll just be too much for So.Carolina.

6. LSU vs UAB One thing Brian Kelly did at ND was he beat teams who didn't match the talent he had on his sideline. UAB has no chance. For LSU it's about staying healthy at this point and make sure the team isn't looking forward to A&M.

7. USC @ UCLA a huge game for both of these teams. The Bruins still can win the Pac 12 Championship and USC has a bit of a prayer that it can get into the CFP. But for sure they can still win the Pac 12 Championship.

8.Alabama vs Austin Peay. What can you say here, nuttin. Get the win, don't get any injuries, get the backups some work. Move on to Auburn

9. Clemson vs Miami Hurricanes in a bit of disarray and the season hasn't gone like Mario Cristobal had hoped. Clemson isn't the Clemson of Deshaun Watson or Trevor Lawrence either. But still a team with an outside shot. Clemson should take care of business at home. Can't see an upset here.

10. Utah @ Oregon Huge game in the Pac12, both are 6-1 in the conference and both are in must win situations. Should be a whale of a game in Autzen Stadium.

Other games

UMass @ Texas A&M Jimbo gets the win this weekend. He doesn't however get relief from all the criticism for how he's running the program. It's being suggested that there will be a lot of changes around College Station first one being Jimbo firing himself as OCoord. The other thing people are talking about is some of that prize freshman class hitting the portal and taking that free transfer option after the season.

Northwestern @ Purdue Currently a 4 way tie at the top of the BTW and with Illinois going to the Big House and Iowa and Minnesota playing. If Purdue wins they are in a 2 way tie. So it's a must win for the Boilermakers.

KState @ W.Virginia another must win B12 game, KState is in solo 2nd place and just needs to win out to get another shot at TCU in the Championship game. I've heard on ESPNU that the wVa coach is likely out after the season, things aren't going too well. Although they did beat OU last weekend.

Oklahoma State @ OU The Cowboys have to win and hope for chaos at the end to make the B12 Championship game. It wasn't that long ago that OSU was looking really good then they lost a close one to TCU and got run out of Dodge vs KState. Win in this rivalry game makes up for a lot.

Ole Miss @ Arkansas is a puzzle to me, good OL, good RB and good QB and they keep finding ways to lose. Meanwhile Kiffin has lost 2 games in a row , tough ones for sure. 3 in a row wouldn't be a good thing. This game is about just getting a win and a better bowl.

Texas @ Kansas I can tell you that Texas damn well better beat KU. Texas fans were not happy with Sark or Ewers in the TCU game. Lose again to KU especially and things can go south pretty fast for Sark.

Last edited: Today at 4:01 PM

• Like Like x 1
  14. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

I want to see this type of weather next Saturday in Columbus.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Don Ballard

16. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

There's snow on the ground here in central Indiana. Just a dusting but a forecast high of 30 tomorrow for the Friday night high school games. Thank goodness for streaming TV. I have grandsons in two local HS programs in two different classes who still are in the tournament at the semifinal level.

• Like Like x 3
  17. BuckeyeT

Might get your wish, here's the 10 day forecast for Columbus.... not the 50's and dry, sunny with no wind outlook I was hoping for ;););) . My biggest wish at present is to not see one of us look ahead, crap the bed and drop one this weekend

upload_2022-11-17_10-9-33.png

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Don Ballard

Good point BTerry and I agree wholeheartedly!

19. Don Ballard

20. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Agree Terry although I think Illinois will not be an easy game for M as their defense is pretty stout.