College Football 2022

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Aug 26, 2022.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Just a tidbit on the OL's...we all know they are important. But looking at Pro Football Focus ranking of the top OL's in college makes me wonder why isn't Arkansas having a better season, unlike the Irish they have a QB who is really good and is a threat running the football.

According to PFF, Arkansas has the best overall OL. (3rd in run blocking and 5th in pass blocking, ND is 6th in run blocking and 17th in pass blocking).

Top 5 appears to be
    1 - Arkansas (3,5)
    2 - Georgia (8, 6)
    3 - Southern Cal (5, 14)
    4 - Ohio State (7, 16)
    5 - Notre Dame (6, 17)

2. Terry O'Keefe

Jeff Scott fired as the HC at USF. He was the Clemson OCoord and had DeShaun Watson and Trevor Lawrence. He didn't have those guys at USF. I read on one board that USF is prepared to go after John Gruden, but I can't see Gruden returning to College Football and try to revive his career at a place like USF.

Jeff Scott however probably will be somebody's OCoord next season and I wouldn't be shocked if it's at Alabama as everybody and their brother assumes that Bill O'Brien will leave and be a HC someplace.

3. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

I could use an OCoord... ;)

But I could REALLY use a decent DCoord!!

• Like Like x 2
  4. kp

kp Well-Known Member

For all of the turnover in coordinators at Alabama in the last 15 years, Saban has never "fired" one. They have mostly moved on to head coaching jobs. I wonder if he "fires" one after this season?

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

That's amazing to me Kp, never realized or even questioned that information.o_O

6. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Don, I said that without research, I don't remember Saban replacing a coordinator except when they have left for another job and it is usually a head coaching job. I'm sure Corey will correct me if I'm wrong.;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. kp

kp Well-Known Member

8. Terry O'Keefe

In some respects he's a little bit right in that winning it all every year is the goal for a number of teams but it's hard to win it every year. So many things have to go right. Alabama would be unbeaten if their defense hadn't let Hooker whip the Vols in to FG range with 30 secs on the clock when they got the ball.

Alabama wouldn't have lost to LSU if they'd prevented the 2 point play.

So close, a couple of plays, and that's what has them where they are right now. But that's so true of so many championship teams, they usually get a couple of wins where if a couple of plays don't go their way they don't have a slot in the championship game.

I did however love this little tidbit in the article, esp since they Yankee's haven't been in the WS since what 2009? Maybe using the Astros would have been more relevant!! :D

This ain’t for everybody. Everybody can’t play for the Yankees, man,” Saban told a recruit in a video interview that became public in 2021. “You’ve got to want to be good. You’ve got to want to play with the best. You’ve got to want to be the best.”

9. Terry O'Keefe

A lot got sorted out this past weekend, and there could be further refining this weekend with some big games for contenders and pretenders.

Friday Night game between Colorado and USC. USC should roll here as Colorado is terrible. USC needs to continue to win of course if they hope to be that 1 loss Conference Champion that gets into the CFP.

Saturday Games.

1. Georgia @ Miss State You always wonder if after a big win like the Dawgs had over the Vols last weekend will they be a little flat coming out of the gate at Starkvegas? After watching that Dawg DL get after poor Hendon Hooker, I fear for the safety of Miss State QB Will Rodgers.

2. Ohio State vs Indiana Buckeyes should have no trouble here, the Hoosiers have lost 6 games in a row in their journey to last place in the Big Ten East.

3. Michigan vs Nebraska Like the Buckeyes, Michigan should have no trouble with the Cornhuskers.

4. TCU @ Texas If you can believe it the Horned Frogs are underdogs on the road to the Longhorns who looked good for a half vs Kansas State, then didn't do much in the 2nd half. I do believe the Longhorns can win this game. They have to handle Max Duggan, who might be without his best WR. This could be a really good game, TCU hasn't smoked any of their better opponents like KState did to Oklahoma State. So I fully expect this go to the 4th qtr. Longhorn win here would solidify their chances of making the B12 Championship game. A loss by TCU here likely would end their CFP hopes even as a 1 loss Conference Champion, if this is their only loss.

5. Tenn vs Missouri Vols have to make sure that Georgia doesn't beat them twice, by having a hangover from the emotional loss to them. They certainly should beat Missouri, who did play a good game last week vs Kentucky. But still if the Vols show up ready to play it should be a big win.

6. Oregon vs Washington. The Huskies sitting at 7-2 both losses to Pac12 foes, still have a shot at the Championship game but they need to win this. They are a top 25 team who has won 3 in a row. Tall Mountian to climb though, going to Autzen, the Ducks on a big roll since their loss to UGA and Bo Nix as hot as a firecracker. Must win for both teams. Should be a great game if the Huskies bring their defense.

7. LSU @ Arkansas Another one of those games where a team is coming off a big emotional win, the Hogs are coming off of a big emotional loss to Liberty. So which team can put those games behind them and come to play this weekend. Arkansas is an enigma to me, their QB is a really good player, they have a really good RB, and PFF rates their OL #1. So why are they below .500 struggling to get bowl eligible. LSU loss here makes the SEC West a jumbled up mess.

8. Colorado @ USC ...noted above.

9. Alabama @ Ole Miss Again emotional loss, season not going as planned. Saban can't let the LSU loss beat them again in Oxford. Ole Miss however doesn't have a QB to match what Hooker and Jayden Daniels did to the 'Bama defense. Ole Miss can run the ball but I don't think that's the key to beating Alabama. Saban not losing 2 in a row.

10. Clemson vs Louisville Another don't let the Irish beat you twice. Louisville has righted the ship a bit and has won 4 in a row and looked good doing it. Clemson QB's are suspect IMHO, that will be their undoing if the lose. Louisville forced a good QB in Wake Forrest's Sam Hartman into a lot of turnovers in the 2nd half and that was what won the game. I don't believe the Cards can run the ball like the Irish so that might be the difference here.

Other games.

#20 Notre Dame @ Navy in the Ravens Stadium in Baltimore. Irish like others have to put that big emotional win behind them and be ready for a Navy team that always presents issues with their style of play.

#22 UCF @ #17 Tulane Huge game in the AAC. Green Wave is undefeated and sitting atop the league while UCF and Cincy are 1 loss teams. UCF needs to win to stay in the hunt for a slot in the Championship game.

Purdue @ #21 Illinois. That loss to MSU last week put a crimp in the great season the Illini had been having. They are 4-2 and there are 4 teams at 3-3 including Purdue. A win by the Boilermakers puts them back in the hunt for the Big 10 West with the head to head over the Illini . But Purdue hasn't looked very good of late, but better late than never.

Wisconsin @ Iowa both are 3-3 the loser is out.

#19 KState @ Baylor Terrible loss last week at home by KState to the Longhorns. Longhorns got off fast and held on for the win, now they have to travel to Waco and face Baylor both are 4-2 and absolutely have to win this weekend. Baylor has had 3 good wins in a row. I don't know the status of the QB for KState, will it be Will Howard or Adrian Martinez.

#15 UNC @ Wake Forrest WF was looking good with a terrific game that ended in Triple OT their only loss and it was to Clemson. But then they lost their minds and the ball in the Louisville game and followed that up with a loss to NC State, they are bowl eligible and that's about it. UNC however is undefeated so far in ACC play and headed to the Championship game likely with Clemson. UNC has a terrific QB in Freshman Drake Maye who has carried this team with his play. Their defense is not great and that should give Sam Hartman some room to operate. Could be a high scoring game.

Texas A&M @ Auburn. Both programs in dissarray. Auburn fired their HC and A&M"s Jimbo is getting flack from all sides. Article today in the Houston Chronicle says that there are internal problems with team discipline at A&M. Neither are going bowling but I'd say that the Aggies need the win more and they get their freshman QB back who played so well vs Ole Miss. Sometimes going on the road gets you away from distractions and a team plays better. First game for Auburn interim Cadillac Williams who was a heck of a RB back in his day.

Both UCLA and Utah who need to keep winning have games they should win.

I imagine there will be an upset or two, but only TCU seems likely

10. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Alabama vs Ole Miss- Kiffin is the riverboat gambler and therefore will play like he's using someone else's money. Always a dangerous thing. Alabama has to fight the feeling of there's nothing to play for since.we.aren't going to the playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Terry O'Keefe

There is a lot to play for, you can still be SECW co-champs, a better bowL oh and there is always PRIDE!

12. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Yeah sometimes pride has 2 sides. One side inspires and the other side is fragile and leads to despair. I think Saban is trying fan the flame and reinforce the process. Do your best on the next play and the results will take care of themselves. Hopefully, he can keep the team from being overcome with the feeling that the season is worthless unless you are.in the playoffs. Alabama hasn't had to deal with that situation in a.long time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Terry O'Keefe

If Ole Miss beats Alabama you can bet that Ole Miss Students/Fans will rush the field. I wonder if any team has had 3 fan groups rush the field on them?

Also I wasn't aware that TCU has clinched a berth in the B12 Championship game. I was aware that TCU has sort of owned the Longhorns in Austin for awhile.

The next step for the upstart No. 4 TCU Horned Frogs is a trip to Austin, where they've beaten Texas four of the past five times they've headed south. The Horned Frogs clinched a berth in the Big 12 title game already but will have to keep a perfect record rolling if they want to stay in the College Football Playoff mix.

14. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

I'd bet TCU can't handle the pressure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Terry O'Keefe

Remember that QB who got something like 9M in NIL from Miami? Well he's flipped to the Gators, who denied back then that they offered him 11M or were even recruiting him.

Jaden Rashada’s Miami NIL deal worth $9.5 million
    Multiple sources told On3 Rashada agreed to a NIL deal with Miami mega-booster John Ruiz for $9.5 million. The same sources said Rashada turned down an offer from Florida’s Gator Collective for $11 million. Both offers blow out of the water the Caspino-brokered $8 million deal for a five-star recruit thought to be Tennessee quarterback commitment Nico Iamaleava.

Both the Gator Collective and Ruiz took to social media after On3’s initial report to say they were not involved in Rashada’s recruitment.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Florida received some big news off the field ahead of its matchup against South Carolina on Saturday.

Jaden Rashada, ESPN's No. 7-rated quarterback in the 2023 class, announced on social media that he is backing out of his commitment to Miami and picking the Gators instead.

As part of the post, Rashada said he had been weighing his options for months and ultimately decided to join coach Billy Napier's Gators and the SEC, a conference he said he has dreamed of playing in since he was a kid.

16. Terry O'Keefe

No. 4 TCU at No. 18 Texas
    Time/TV: 7:30 p.m., ABC
    The coordinator matchup: TCU OC Garrett Riley vs. Texas DC Pete Kwiatkowski
    The buzz: Raise your hand if you thought TCU would be 9-0 and ranked fourth in the College Football Playoff rankings. And, hey, if your hand is raised, you’re a liar. Riley oversees a unit that has a stud receiver (Quentin Johnston), an underrated running back (Kendre Miller) and a quarterback who is playing at a high level (Max Duggan). TCU has scored at least 34 points in every game and is averaging 508.7 yards per game (fourth nationally) and 7.36 yards per play (second). Kwiatkowski’s defense has struggled the past three weeks, especially against the pass, and has been bad on third down throughout the season. The Longhorns have been OK against the run for the most part, and it’ll be interesting to see if Riley relies more than usual on the pass.

17. Terry O'Keefe

No. 9 Alabama at No. 11 Ole Miss
    Time/TV: 3:30 p.m., CBS
    The coordinator matchup: Ole Miss OC Charlie Weis Jr. vs. Alabama DC Pete Golding
    The buzz: Golding’s defense, specifically the secondary, spit the bit in the loss to Tennessee and had some alarming breakdowns in last week’s loss to LSU. One positive for Golding and his unit: Ole Miss is all about the run and doesn’t really scare anyone with its passing attack. But LSU and Tennessee each ran for 182-plus yards on the Tide, and the Rebels are much better on the ground (267.2 rushing yards per game) than the Tigers and Vols. Golding has to make sure the Rebels don’t have their way on the ground. If the Tide can hold Ole Miss to fewer than 200 rushing yards, it should win.

18. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

How bad is your qb if you can't throw in a Lane Kiffin offense?

19. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Yeah, passing game was his forte at Alabama.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Terry O'Keefe

No kidding and it's Jaxon Dart who was brought in because of his arm talent, from USC.

• Disagree Disagree x 1