College Football 2022

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Aug 26, 2022.

1. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

It's a long season and a tough, physical conference schedule upcoming. With 3 scholarship running backs - one a true FR - our depth at tailback is not where I'd like to be and in any event, there is only one Treyveon Henderson on the roster and he hasn't been healthy since the season began. Love to see Williams and the young backs get work and run hard but the depth issues we have at RB could be our achilles heel.

Always tough and physical Badger team visits this week....bring your big boy pads, pray for good health

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Following Week 3, ladies and gentlemen, one of the nominees (Kansas) for comeback team of the year. Throw in Indiana, Syracuse, and Oregon State, all currently 3-0.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Eastern Michigan traveled to Az St and became the first MAC team to beat a P12 team in a regular season game. Their PR department ( probably consisting of 1 sophomore intern) is doing some pretty decent trolling today.

61A8C587-24C7-4B35-A09E-356E5D8F1AE6.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Next March's Final 4?

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Haha! That was the point of the tweet. I was just using it to point out Kansas, a perennial Big 12 doormat, being 3-0 and adding others who have been regular doormats.

6. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Guess we know who'll be beating Texas again this year!! :D

7. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Yeah I made a.disparaging remark the other day on another board about Kentucky being a Basketball school too. They are 3-0 also.

8. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

This reporter deserves to be banned from future media events for such a dumb and insulting question.

9. Scott88

Yeah, that was a lazy question for this early in the season.
    What a dolt.

10. Bobdawolverweasel

And Herm is now the ex head coach at ASU. Started out well but things really went south with the program facing possible NCAA sanctions although the NCAA enforcement division seems pretty ineffective these days.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Kind of like Nero fiddling while Rome burns.

12. Terry O'Keefe

Again I was traveling on Saturday so didn't catch much college football. But just looking at what happened.

The big 3 upsets from last week seemed to have left it on the field.

Georgia Southern beaten by UAB
    Marshall beaten by Bowling Green in OT
    App State needs a miracle to beat Troy.

But then Eastern Michigan becomes the first MAC team to beat a power 5 team in Arizona.

Lots of the underdogs/buy games though turned out as expected with more than a couple losing by 50 points. I hope that in the new world of college football that is coming that we either get an exhibition season where a couple of patsies are allowed but don't count against the season record or we can't schedule outside the Power 5. Since we are headed to the NFL model it just makes sense.

Just looking at stats and listening to ESPNU, seems like Penn State might be a player this year, went into Auburn and just hammered them. Can Harsin survive that?

Michigan is now likely to be the leader for the 4th playoff slot, and they will be going forward with JJ McCarthy who everybody seems to think is the best choice even if McNamara hadn't been injured.

Oregon is recovering, they hammered a pretty decent BYU team. Utah continues to play well and USC seems to have figured out how to work with 40 new players on the roster and if they run the table in the Pac 12 and beat ND they will be a playoff team.

Texas looked like they were in trouble in the 1st half but got it together in the 2nd half and took care of business vs UTSA by getting Bijan Robinson rolling. Hudson Card is going to be the QB till Ewers gets healthy, which will be a couple of weeks. We go to Lubbock next I'm sure Sark wants to be careful with Ewers and hold him out next week, but at home vs WVA we might see him no doubt will want him ready for OU.

Speaking of OU looks like Brent Venables has got things in hand in Norman. No drop-off so far.

That was a big win for Brian Kelly this past weekend, while Misss State isn't a juggernaut you'd better be ready for a Mike Leach team with an experience QB. Heat's off Kelly for this week at least.

Gators escaped again this weekend, nudging out UCF. While old rival Tenn rolled. Tenn'Fla next week will be a big game for both teams.

How good is Kentucky?

I don't have much feel for how good Clemson is this year, they are likely still to go undefeated as they are the best ACC team.

To me the surprise this weekend was how A&M totally shutdown the Miami offense. I know that Aggie defense is pretty salty but I thought with the suspensions and then losing a couple of players early to targeting that Van Dyke would put up some points and stress the Aggie offense to score or else. While the Aggies did get the win, new QB Max Johnson didn't exactly light'em up so there is still a problem on offense that needs to be solved if they are going to challenge the Tide.

Ohio State is getting better and more solid on offense every week and likely to run the table to the UM game. I don't see anybody beating Georgria, Stetson Bennett is playing very well and that Georgia Defense is great. It's the same old Tide, the Texas game was an aberration. They likely will be unbeaten till the SEC championship game barring critical injuries of course which is the came for everybody of course.

Big drop-off between Georgia/Alabama/Ohio State and the next group which right now looks like Michigan/USC/OU then the rest are way down the mountain and a lot of parity between teams ranked anywhere below them in the top 25.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Terry, great breakdown.
    I don't understand App. State. Fluke play kept Troy from beating the team that beat A&M the week before????

I think the Auburn "Family" is about ready to disown Harsin.

I'm not sure Oregon can overcome the beat down that UGA gave them to make the playoffs though.

Texas and Oklahoma still "watch" teams.

Correction Terry, Florida barely beat USF not UCF.

Good question about Kentucky.

Re Clemson...I agree. How good are they?

I think Georgia and Ohio State should be #1 and #2. Alabama's wide receivers are not playoff level. At least not yet. Michigan might be top 4. After that, we'll have to see.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Scott88

I'd say other than Georgia, they are all watch and see teams.
    I know the Aggies aren't even close to a finished product, which gives me some hope for a better than 2021 season.
    By about game 6 you should know where most are heading.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

You pull this sh*t every year. ;):):rolleyes: Agree with you about Michigan.

16. Bobdawolverweasel

This Penn State walk on definitely has NFL potential. I wonder how quickly it took for some of the coaches to figure out Chad was not a home schooled walk on trained by his Mom.

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Terry O'Keefe

I think that wig would be a dead give away! :cool:

18. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Ha but it's A different problem every year. Seriously, our long passing game is nonexistent. It showed in the Texas game. ULM made so many mistakes that we were able to get a lead and then they really self destructed but our wide receivers still could not get open. Thank goodness for tight ends and running backs. The combination of great qb's and great WRs were the basis of our offense for the last four or five years. We'll see I guess.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I saw on a tweet a conversation between Eli James Franklin that revealed Franklin was aware of the ruse.

Franklin: 5.49!!! What was the last team you played on? :D

20. Terry O'Keefe

kp, I sort of expected that rb from Ga.Tech to be a big star at Alabama, but I haven't seen much of him. What's the deal with him?