GOLF

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN, Jan 31, 2021.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

2. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Most significant is that the guys who left for LIV are not welcome back. So now they're stuck playing goofy-golf for nothing but dirty Saudi money. Good riddance !

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Did I read that LIV also had a clause that players couldn't play in another event if LIV had an event scheduled?

4. Terry O'Keefe

Speaking of goofy golf, have you read about Tiger and Rory's new "Virtual League"?

ATLANTA -- Tiger Woods and Rory McIlroy are launching a tech-infused golf league in partnership with the PGA Tour that will have players competing on six three-man teams in 15 regular-season matches and a playoff starting in January 2024.

The new league, TGL, will feature two-hour, 18-hole matches on a virtual course. The matches will take place in prime time on Monday nights in a custom-made venue in a yet-to-be-determined location.

Renderings released Wednesday by TGL indicate that the venues will feature a simulator that players will hit longer shots into, along with an authentic green area for chipping and putting.

The matches will probably be played between January and April, and each of the six teams will compete five times during the 15-week schedule.

Tiger, McIlroy launch prime-time virtual league

5. kp

kp Well-Known Member

I hope they don't ruin professional golf trying to compete with LIV.

6. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Sounds like Golden Tee gone on steroids.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Terry O'Keefe

Scottie showed up ready to play today!
    Scores were good though today and if it wasn't for the 10 strokes he got for finishing #1 he'd be down 1 stroke to Xander and Neiman. It would in general be a tight leader board.

Not sure if I like this scoring format although I didn't like when the winner didn't also win the Cup either

8. Terry O'Keefe

Xander Schauffele is clearly a master of East Lake. Something like 22 rounds here all under par.

Due to the goofy scoring system he started 5 shots back of Scottie, but 2 great rounds and he's closed the gap and is 2 shots back. Just straight up he's leading Scheffler by 2 shots.

Scottie has played well for sure, he's managed things and limited the damage by some wayward drives esp on the back 9. He hit the flag on a par 3 and had a 5 footer for birdie, he missed it. He had several other makable birdie putts he missed. Still 4 under today bogey free is a darn good round.

Xander though was lights out on the back 9 with a 29.

Right now I'd bet Xander to run him down.

9. Terry O'Keefe

I see on Facebook that BuckeyeT has been in San Diego, he didn't post any pictures of him either playing golf or hang gliding at Torrey Pines though, I imagine that they are forth coming!
    :D:D

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Terry O'Keefe

Rory comes from behind to take down Scottie Scheffler, who really didn't play well today. Had the high score today at 73, if he just shoots even par or even 1 over he wins the Cup. But he didn't. He had a great year, but flinched at the end. Rory had an excellent round to take care of business.

Rory has been such an outspoken leader amongst the players for the PGA Tour. It's kind of fitting that he wins the Cup.

• Like Like x 1
  11. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

HA! I knew I shoulda brought my clubs, did get to a Padres game tho. Actually stayed in La Jolla for a few days, Torrey Pines literally just up the street. My son just graduated and moved out there to make his mark in the world of software gizillionaires.....need to be one to live out there. Gas was $7/gallon earlier this year and housing prices in excess of $1K/ sq ft. He lives in a beautiful high rise in downtown Gaslight Quarter in a 525 sq ft efficiency for $2,500/month! Jeebzus....nice weather tho.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of Rory, glad to see him take it down.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

Petco park is a beautiful venue.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Terry O'Keefe

Anybody see this? Didn't think so.

BOLTON, Mass. -- Dustin Johnson gave LIV Golf its first big moment Sunday when he made a 35-foot eagle putt on the first hole of a sudden-death playoff to win the LIV Golf Invitational-

15. Terry O'Keefe

Big Money in the final LIV event of the year! Very different competition.

Golfers will compete for $50 million, the richest purse in the sport's history, in LIV Golf's season-ending team championship, which is scheduled to be played at Trump National Doral Miami from Oct. 27-30.

Twelve four-man teams will compete for a $16 million first-place prize. The teams will be seeded one through 12. The top four seeds will receive a bye to the quarterfinals. The other eight will compete in qualifying rounds.

How will the seeding be determined? By a closest-to-the-pin shootout by the team captains, which will take place immediately after players are drafted.

LIV golfers will compete for $50M in season finale

16. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

• Funny Funny x 3
  17. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

Bobby would have made a great Marine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Terry O'Keefe

Classic Drill Sargent.

19. Terry O'Keefe

Well my trip to Pinehurst couldn't have turned out better. The place is absolute Golf Heaven and the whole area is just beautiful. Even the drive down to Pinehurst from the Raliegh/Durham Airport was beautiful.

Stayed at the Carolina Hotel,one of those grand old southern hotels that has been refurbished. Still has that same old south look but the rooms and public area's inside are 1st class. Once you are on the property you don't need a car, Pinehurst has shuttles to take you anywhere on the property and it's big property. 9 courses. Food was excellent, lots of choices, they even have a craft brewery on the property that is very nice and has good food options along with some nice brews.

We played #8 and #2 and the 9 hole par 3 they call The Craddle. I have to tell you I was pretty anxious about playing, I wondered if I could break 100 and how many balls would I lose. But it wasn't that way.

#8 was a great course, just recently redone with completely new greens that were very firm we had a forecaddie for it and he advised us on going for the front of he green not the pin (like I'm really that accurate :rolleyes: ). I shot an 88 and was pretty pleased that not only did I break 100 but 90 and I didn't lose a golf ball. I do have to say that I wouldn't have been able to do that without a caddie. The greens run close to 12 and have a lot of contour. But the caddie would just show you the line and if you got the speed right you had a chance. Also having him tell you where to play your shots from the tee on in was big as well.

We played the 9 hole course the next morning and that was fun, the greens there really sort of prepared you for #2. We didn't really keep score.

#2 was the afternoon and we had 2 caddies, 2 bags each. again turned out to be critical. We walked the course, it really wouldn't have been easier to ride like we did on #8 because it's cart path only all of the time, no doubt do the huge waste area's that frequently are seemingly tee to green. It's not as hilly as the course I played in New Hampshire or in Utah, but it's got some uphill walks. I was pretty worn out at the end. They had us start on #10 and it's easier of he 9's. I got off to a great start and bidied 2 of the first 5 holes and shot a 39 on the front. Again couldn't have done with out the caddie telling you where and what to hit, he didn't tell me what club to hit but what yardage he wanted me to hit and left the club selection up to me. When we turned on to the front nine things got real, waste area's got bigger and greens were more elevated and counoured ( it seemed to me at least). Shot a 49 on the back and felt luck to do that. The waste area's here are different than the ones I experienced in Hilton Head at Harbour Town and the other courses. These had all sorts of native grasses and plants sprinkled all out so not only were you the waste area but you had to deal with no having a clean swing path a lot of the time. They were brutal. Hit the fairway or pay the price. I was lucky to escape again with no lost balls and another 88.

Great experience! I'd love to go back again. Not sure I'd play #2 again, it's a lot of golf course for me even from the "Senior" or green tee's.

Their putting green was amazing, it's huge has to be at least 75 yards square and they have it set up with an 18 hole putting challenge that is realy tough, they have all sorts of moguls worked in and on the down hill putts not hard to end up 20 feet past if you aren't careful. Good training for what you face out on the course. Practice area's are all great, balls are like brand new Titleist balls.

Best part was my nephew comped me for the whole stay except for the air-fare. Said he was repaying me for those trips I took him on the Notre Dame games. :D:D:cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  20. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Happy to read about your experience, especially the part about your nephew repaying your past generosity. You sure have a first-class family.