Baseball 2022

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Mar 12, 2022.

1. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

Looks like stats were a push except V went 2 more innings

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

So a phenomena I was unaware of till recently. Intentional Balks with the runner on 2nd , apparently opposing managers fear Alex Bregman's ability to peer into the pitchers glove and pick out his grip and discern what pitch is going to be thrown and communicate to the batter.

Bregman has now been balked off of second base twice in seven days. Perhaps nothing better illustrates the league-wide feeling — and paranoia — about his ability to convey tells to his teammate at the plate.

The introduction of PitchCom has eliminated any need for catchers to flash signs like the ones Houston stole illegally in 2017-18. The technology does not hide everything. Runners on second can peer into a pitcher’s glove to see a grip or discern where a catcher is setting up.

Neither act is illegal, and the onus is on the pitcher and catcher to protect themselves better. Obviously, the league believes Bregman is good at it, but he is far from alone in attempting to gain the advantage. Most, if not every, team has players who try a similar tactic.

Astros insider: Paranoia around Alex Bregman on second leads to yet another balk

3. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Interesting. Bregman must have an eagle eye or x-ray vision. In my opinion, until proven otherwise, it's more paranoia than fact. Of course, nothing would surprise me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Terry O'Keefe

What's going on with the Yankees. They have fallen off a cliff. Losers in 15 of the last 19 games

5. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

Albert hits 691 and 692 last night. 700 club is close.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Terry O'Keefe

Dusty pulled Verlander last night after 6 innings with a no hitter going. He (Verlander) said after the game that he was 100% OK with that decision. It's the 2nd time that Dusty has pulled a starter with a no hitter going, the last time was in New York and fortunately the relief guys finished out the no hitter. Didn't happen last night though but we still got the win.

7. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Sunday morning humor courtesy of Banana Ball. The ground ball goes between the legs of Savannah Bananas' "Stilts" and he demonstrates disappointment that he couldn't get it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Terry O'Keefe

Didn't know all these changes were a possibility? But MLB is going to vote on these tomorrow.

• A 15-second pitch clock with the bases empty and a 20-second clock with runners on

• Two disengagements from the rubber -- including pickoff attempts -- per plate appearance

• A requirement by hitters to be in the batter's box and "alert" with eight seconds to go on the clock. Hitters are allowed one timeout per plate appearance

• Only two infielders will be allowed on each side of second base, with all four required to be on the dirt (or inner grass)

• Infielders cannot position themselves on the outfield grass before the pitch is thrown

• Bases will increase in size from 15 inches squared to 18
    Sources: MLB to vote on rule changes Friday

9. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I didn't know about these changes, and I'm very happy to see them. Re: the infielder position restrictions, I'm very happy to see them. For those unhappy about it, I say, suck it up, buttercup. I don't know why they're changing the size of the bases, but I trust they'll explain the reason.

10. Terry O'Keefe

This was on Facebook, nothing to do with MLB 2022. Just made me remember how different things were, all sorts of baseball stars (and athletes from other sports as well) answered the call even ones like Bob Feller who had an exemption.

[​IMG]WWII uncovered: Baseball Prodigy Bob Feller: First to Volunteer for Service
    “I never have to strain my memory to recall the day I decided to join the Navy. It was 7 December 1941. I was driving from my home in Van Meter, Iowa, to Chicago to discuss my next contract with the Cleveland Indians, and I heard over the car radio that the Japanese had just bombed Pearl Harbor. I was angry as hell. I’d spent almost six full seasons in the major leagues by then, with a record of 107 victories and 54 losses, and I had a family- related draft exemption, but I knew right then that I had to answer the call…After four months of naval gunnery school in Newport, Rhode Island, I was assigned to a battleship, the USS Alabama (BB-60), as a gun-captain on a 40-mm antiaircraft mount that had a crew of 24.”-Major League Baseball Hall of Fame Pitcher Bob Feller
    "Already a national star, Feller was first assigned as a physical training instructor. However, his desire to go into combat led him to volunteer for gunners’ school in 1942. Chief Petty Officer Feller was placed in command of a 40mm antiaircraft mount aboard USS Alabama (BB 60), and served through the campaigns in the North Atlantic and throughout the Pacific theater. In March 1945 he reported to the Great Lakes Naval Training Center, Illinois, where he managed the baseball team. In August he returned to the Cleveland Indians and resumed his Major League career."
    "Feller got his nickname, “The Heater from Van Meter,” due to his lightning fastball and his hometown, Van Meter, Iowa. Some baseball experts have credited him as being the hardest throwing pitcher in history. An 8-time All-Star and a World Series Champion, Feller’s number 19 was retired by the Cleveland Indians, for whom he played his entire 18-year career. He retired from baseball in 1956, and in 1962 he was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame on the first ballot. Bob Feller also holds two other great distinctions: he never played a game in the minors after being signed by the Cleveland Indians at age 17, and he is the only pitcher in Major League history to throw a no-hitter on opening day."
    (Source: Navy History and Heritage Command and Cleveland Plain Dealer)
    In later years when asked what he considered his greatest victory: Feller did not hesitate in replying - World War II.
    Chief Petty Officer Bob Feller passed away on December 15, 2010 at the age of 92. He lies in rest at Gates Mills North Cemetery in Gates Mills Ohio. Lest We Forget.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

Regarding rules changes...I support them all...but wonder a bit about the two disengagements from the rubber...once you have two, for whatever reason, it would seem to be open season for the runner(s).

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Excellent point, Stu.
    Re: Bob Feller. Truly a great hero, aside from baseball. Thanks for telling us about it. I've read similar stories about Ted Williams and Jimmy Stewart and others I can't recall at the moment.

13. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

15. Terry O'Keefe

A gallon of Vodka a day, wow.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Terry O'Keefe

Duke Snider was one of my boyhood hero's along with Paul Hornung.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  17. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Terry, same here re: Duke Snider. Not so much Paul Hornung because in those days I was a fan of my Dad's alma mater, Purdue. Thus, I didn't like Notre Dame, Purdue's (at that time) arch rival. In the mid 90s, while in South Bend for a game, I saw Paul Hornung in the College Hall of Fame, at the time located in downtown South Bend. I politely asked for his autograph. He gave it to me, but he couldn't have been grumpier. He's the only famous athlete I've ever encountered, among 10-15 over the years, who was that way.

18. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

697 by The Machine today. Alone 4th place all time. His chances of the 700 club are very real now.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Go Albert! Get to 700!

20. Terry O'Keefe

Inspite of his torture of the Astros and poor old Brad Lidge, I hope he makes it. He's been a great player.

• Agree Agree x 1