Ohio State / Notre Dame Game Week

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by BuckeyeT, Aug 28, 2022.

1. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

I think Rees was trying to win in a conservative fashion to minimize mistakes. He achieved the latter but you will not win the big games playing it close to the vest. I have questions about Buchner's arm strength.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

I've seen a lot of criticism towards Rees for the conservative nature of his game call. It seemed to me that he was handcuffed for much of the game due to field position. Buckeye punter and special team coverage were excellent and it's hard to fault Rees and Freeman for playing it close to the vest deep in his own territory on the road in the first game of the year with a newbie under center. I'd be interested in taking a look at his play selection once he got out from beneath the shadow of his own goal posts. Pretty sure the vast majority of people criticizing him have never been standing on their own 5, with 110,000 hostile fans screaming for blood, in your first game with a rookie quarterback under center with a potent offense on the other sideline who can easily make quick work of short field scoring opportunities, fwiw.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

true

4. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I felt the same way T does. The Bucks special teams did a great job.Their kick-off coverage team was deadly and their punter twice put backing up punts inside the 10. Field position often dictates offensive strategy.
    I assume that coach Freeman and Rees agreed on a game plan that gave them the best chance of winning. I'm sure Rees followed it. To make him the scapegoat for poor OL play and WR shortcomings isn't really fair. As has been said, it was a talent discrepancy that led to the result so the real blame belongs on Kelly (or Trump)

• Like Like x 1
  5. George Krebs

When you are playing a superior team you have to take chances to win. And Notre Dame's history is filled with such accounts. We achieved a moral victory which in this format allows us to entertain another run at a CFP spot as long as we do not lose another game.

6. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Per BT's comments, I have no problem with ND's play calling given the circumstances we were forced into because of Ohio State's defense and special team's play. Also, upon seeing this perspective of our #29's exceptional catch, I realize he could have been called for offensive pass interference. IMO it was a good no-call. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. BuckeyeT

Sid, with all due respect...... ;)

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Belly laugh.

• Like Like x 1
  9. BuckeyeT

It was a helluva catch....great job concentrating by that young man. REALLY p!$$ed me off at the time, but as I reflect now, it was an extraordinary effort, egregious no-call notwithstanding. ;) Perhaps the most puzzling element of all was Fowler's wondering whether the ball had been intercepted. Not his best effort.....

10. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I've never cared for Fowler's delivery. Too monotone-like for me. I appreciate how hard he's worked to improve it but IMO the strength of the team is Herbie's insightful commentaries. I know some will disagree with me. Discussing play-by-play personalities is not unlike discussing politics and religion.

11. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I'm pretty agnostic on the whole topic of announcers. No doubt some are better than others but I am not in the camp that turns off the sound or lets them ruin the game for me.

Many ND Fans have spent years ranting on the various guys on the NBC call, although Tirco was very well received, Pat Haden and Doug Flutie were especially targets. I forget the guy who did the broadcasts for years, also did horseracing and Olympic stuff but he was really disliked.

Meh, if the team is good and exciting to watch it doesn't matter and if we suck no announcer fixes that.!

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

Talking about the announcers gives something to gripe about besides B1G refs. (Yeah, I know...these were ACC.) ;)

I thought even at the time it was a good no-call...yeah the receiver pushed off but he was going for the ball and the defender really wasn't. Close though.

And we were indeed making fun of Fowler the whole game. My favorite was "Makes a short gain"...yeah, except it was seven yards.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Haha re: announcers.
    Consider yourselves very lucky you never had to sit through a radio broadcast by the old voice of the Aggies - Dave South.
    Some of his best moments:
    "He drops back to pass... Some pressure and he's running...no he's going to pass, and it's CAUGHT! no dropped."
    And especially useful:
    "He's back to pass...throws...and it's caught by that guy."

What guy?
    Which team?
    What just happened???!!!
    :eek:

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Alabama has a very good local radio guy named Eli Gold. He has been an institution for a long time.

• Like Like x 1
  15. George Krebs

What just happened???!!!
    :eek:[/QUOTE]

Years ago the NY Giants had a radio play by play guy named Jim Karvalis (sp?) who was the same way. Sims hands off tackle to Morris,,, Touchdown! .......no, he's short! No it's fumbled ! Who has the ball ?? Wait a minute,,,,, Sims kept the ball and was tackled for a two yard loss ! What down is it ?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2022
  16. BuckeyeT

Clearly that is your Boilermaker side showing! ;)

In truth, I didn't complain on the play, not until after I saw the replay and even then, not an obvious call. In any event, matters not, great play by the young man, 1st down Irish.

• Like Like x 1