Ohio State / Notre Dame Game Week

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by BuckeyeT, Aug 28, 2022.

1. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

It's game week....interesting perspective from the Irish homer. Your thoughts?

2. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Is there something I am supposed to open? I so I can't get it. :)

3. BuckeyeT

It's supposed to be a YouTube video. If you click on it, it should open a video. It's working for me. Anybody else have an issue seeing it?

4. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

He's been smoking something!

5. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

If I click on you Tube it opens for me. It's different for sure. I think Terry may be correct.:)

6. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Terry, thanks for that comparative analysis by Driskell. No argument with OSU's vast superiority at 3 of 4 skill positions. Surprised by his assessment of ND's O-line vs. OSU's. Not surprised by ND's edge in the D-line. Very surprised by ND's LB edge. Neutral reaction to his assessment of both teams' DBs. All in all, if (big if) Driskell's assessments are accurate, I feel better about our ability to play competitively and not get blown out.
    Signed,
    Sid Holtz

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. BuckeyeT

I agree with some of his assessments. I give big advantage to ND LB and TE. I have a better opinion of our OL and DL than he does. I like our OL alot but I know it's expected to be a strength of the Irish as well. I loved what he said about our returning Groza candidate kicker Noah Ruggles whose 20 of 21 FG and 74/74 XP earned him a grade of "consistent" from the Irish pundit . Tough grader!

Biggest concern is the ability of the Irish OL and running game to play ground and pound a la TUN and Oregon last year. I expect great improvement from the DL as it's time for 5* babies to grow teeth and maybe keep the LB clean with a chance for respectable run fits....we'll see. I expect your young QB to see a loaded box regularly daring the downfield throws. I do expect much more pressure from the DL as well.

Offensively my guess is if your Irish can throw it successfully in key 3rd situations and move the the chains and keep CJ and company off the field, it will make for a helluva game. If they can't, if might be difficult to keep up as our offense is likely to be much more explosive.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Gator Bill

When I was there earlier it did not link as a U Tube. Clicked on it several times to no avail. Now it's working, probably my internet.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Gator Bill

Comes up for me but starts at the 4:00 minute mark.

Interesting but I don't have any comment other than I do expect Ohio State to win.

10. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Vegas is giving the Irish NO respect. The spread has increased to 17. This is as much a culmination of ND not measuring up in big games as it is the current matchup. This begs for taking the points.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Opening games can be unpredictable, just ask the Cornhuskers. I am confident with our offense, defense remains to be proven and on field experience favors the Buckeyes and playing at home helps. Turnovers will dictate the points spread.

• Like Like x 1
  12. BuckeyeT

That's a lot of points. I expect it has as much to do with your young QB playing his first game on the road in primetime and the state of your WR room as anything. With DC Knowles experience I gotta believe the Irish are gonna need a credible downfield threat to keep our safeties away from the LOS and enable the run game. But then again, I never underestimate the ability of our LB to make a mess of things.

Our best LB was a RB last year. Our best TE started at LB in the Rose Bowl. We went to the transfer portal to address our LB depth by getting a RB, converting him to LB only to now having him work with the RB when our #3 RB went down injured. We only have 3 schollie backs now, one's a true FR. Can't make these things up....the more I type, the more tasty the points look for the Irish

Last edited: Aug 29, 2022
  13. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Stu Ryckman

That's just Sid or the Krebs Mafia trying to get a big payoff.

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. Stu Ryckman

I look at this game as a trap game. I certainly hope our players and coaches give ND the respect they deserve and that doesn't seem to be coming from elsewhere. Otherwise it's gonna be an unhappy start to the season for us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Stu Ryckman

How can you be ranked in the top 10 in every poll...ranked 6 in Sagarin computer poll, and have a 17 point spread??? Ridiculous.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

We all know how inaccurate pre-season polls can be. Perhaps the pollsters are as enamored with our new, unproven (on game day) head coach as we are. Frankly - kidding aside - the excitement scares me. We've been pumped up before prior to big games (aka national championship) and have been thoroughly thumped.

18. BuckeyeT

I agree...it's a big wildcard. Young QB, young head coach coming home, big stage, prime time under the lights, much hype.....on our side we've got a new DC, with alot of pressure on his shoulders, new defensive staff, new scheme still not game tested. Lot of variables that could be material factors. DC Knowles is known for creative pressure packages and bringing pressure from all levels and directions. OKST led the nation in sacks last year, I expect him to get after the young Irish QB early and often, Irish running game and OL are gonna have to keep the pressure off the young man. OTOH, new DC, new scheme, new staff may yield some blown assignments and coverages in the back end yielding chunk plays for the Irish

Last edited: Aug 29, 2022
  19. BuckeyeT

20. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Remember gents, Vegas isn't in the business of ranking teams or showing respect.
    They want to balance the money. Whichever way the money is going will drive the line, not actual analysis. (of which there can be very little since we haven't seen the teams on the field yet)

• Like Like x 1