Notre Dame Spring/Summer

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Mar 12, 2022.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

The Manti T'eo story is going to be the subject of an Netflix Documentary.

2. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Spellbinding.
    :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Terry O'Keefe

Pristers conclusions from watching the final summer basketball practice. Every one is wowed by freshman JJ Starling.

• Conclusion: This is going to be a veteran, heady, confident, good-shooting basketball team. The chemistry is extremely good, both in terms of camaraderie and basketball flow. They know each other’s every move. The maturity of Hammond, Starling and Lubin should mesh quickly in game competition.

Rebounding could be a problem at times, but their shooting and basketball IQ will compensate. The second year of a stronger commitment to defense should be even better than the first. This should be a savvy basketball team with the ability to hit the ground running from the start of the season, which has been an issue in the recent past.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I could get excited about this kid, who's committed.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Terry O'Keefe

Bowen is one that people worry will not sign in Dec. He keeps looking while saying he is 100 % Irish.

6. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Oops! Just when I break my own rule and get excited about a kid that has yet to suit up for practice. Oh well. Fingers crossed. :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

7. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

Well it appears ND is asking NBC for $75mil a yr on the TV contract. If ND can get that, I now think that ND would be best suited to stay Independent until there is no chance of getting into the playoff without being in a conference. I don't like what Swarbrick said about ND not getting as first round even if they end the season #1 in the 12 team playoff format though(which is going to happen).

Even after all that's been said over the years and with the current events in college football, I can't believe how many take ND not wanting to be in a conference as some sort of snub to every other college/university, some sort of "we are better than you or more holy than the rest". True ND fans know that ND's Independence is a part of who they are! It's part of what makes ND, ND!! This University has paid the price in it's history to have the ability to be the independent program they are. Seems as every conference would love to have ND now but that history shows a time when Notre Dame was rejected and ridiculed by many. Through the great efforts of the school, the teams and individuals like Rockne, Notre Dame was able to overcome and become a formidable force in the world of college football. That's what many don't realize or want to admit. In short, Notre Dame paid the price for their Independence and it's part of who/what Notre Dame is. Where do you think the name "Fighting Irish" came from?

I know times change and sometimes everyone and everything has to change but... until there is no other choice and while obstacles in ND's way are not overwhelming, ND should hold on to their Independence.

8. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

A thoughtful post Tim!:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Terry O'Keefe

Charel Allen is returning to ND as an assistant coach for Niele Ivey. She takes the place of Coquise Washington who left to be the HC at Rutgers. It seems like a very good hire.

Allen was a two-time All-American, two-time First Team All-Big East selection and served as team captain over her final two seasons at Notre Dame. Allen averaged team bests 17.0 points and 6.2 rebounds as a junior then led the Irish to a Sweet 16 berth during her senior year, scoring a career-high 35 points in a second-round overtime win over Oklahoma – which still stands as the second-best Irish scoring performance in the NCAA Tournament.

She was the first player in school history to amass 1,000 points, 500 rebounds, 200 assists and 200 steals in her career. In fact, she still ranks 15th on the all-time scoring list with 1,566 career points.

“I’m coming home! I’m extremely excited and grateful for the opportunity to work alongside such a powerful leader in Niele and her staff. I can’t wait to get started,” Allen said.

Charel Allen joins Women’s Basketball Staff

• Like Like x 1
  10. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Tim, there used to be several independents and they all succumbed to the lure of conference membership and I don't think that they were perceived as better than you or more holy than the rest. From my perspective, my comments are based on a prediction that 2 or 3 conferences are going to take the top 40 or 50 football programs and break away from the current BCS format and create a new organization and.conduct their own "championship". If you are not in those 2 or 3 conferences then you won't be able to participate in this new system. I'm not sure if the NCAA be involved or not, but if the conferences create a new organization to manage the new system, Notre Dame.will have to make a decision: maintain their independence and not be included or join one of the conferences and participate in the new system. If my prediction comes to pass, Notre Dames past or present has nothing to do with anything. I just don't think the conferences are going to want to make a.set of rules for everyone except one participant. I think the only way that Notre Dame maintains its current independence is if there is no further consolidation of conferences. Like I said earlier, if Clemson, Florida State, and Miami go into the SEC or Big 10, then those 2 conferences will have over 95% of the National Champions in the last 60 years in them. If Notre Dame joins one of them then the percentage goes up to like 98%.

11. Tim Gentry

You misunderstand me, I'm saying that ND is the last of those Independents and the perception from many is that ND should join a conference like everyone else when the reality is that ND is the ONLY team still remaining that CAN be independent. Much more is the fact that ND VALUES that independent status as a part of what makes them.....Notre Dame. Until The Irish are locked out of playing for a NC, it doesn't make sense to do so for ND. Being able to play in a NC playoff is the only "lure" of conference membership for Notre Dame. For now, they should probably stay as they are.

12. kp

kp Well-Known Member

And that's my prediction! The super-conferences are going to come up with a playoff for a national championship involving their members. The NCAA may be able to keep their hand in the till by creating a new division with which consists of these 40 or 50 teams. If the NCAA is still involved then Notre Dame may be able.to keep their independence and play for the championship in the the new organization. At least that is how I see this playing out.:)

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Notre Dame's independence is apparently in the hands of NBC Sports. The Irish are like an employee who goes in to see the Boss and demands a huge salary increase or threatens to leave. Because they were very successful over the last several seasons under Kelly it is assumed that NBC's advertising revenues went up significantly. Based on that ND is demanding a huge raise from $10 Million to $75 million. If not, they are threatening to leave presumably. NBC is going to evaluate things as they are and project into the future. If they determine that the Irish are not worth the investment they will either counter or cut bait completely. The Irish better be certain they have a Plan B in place and that would be a guaranteed conference affiliation.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Some cool hype about our uniforms for the October 8 game vs. BYU in Vegas:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

How do they find the time?

16. Terry O'Keefe

I like them!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Terry O'Keefe

The Novosad kid, QB from the Austin area who we are in late was on campus for an Unofficial visit.

Said nice things about his visit, but most feel like he is a long shot as both of his parents are A&M grads and he now has an offer from Jimbo.

18. Tim Gentry

Saw the Shamrock Series Uniform….aaaah Georgia Tech???

19. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Ryan Day with his best impression of Lou Holtz' complimenting the opponent. I'm not fooled. He knows they're going to kick our butts:

20. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

There goes Ryan Day again...doing his best Sid impression. ;)

• Funny Funny x 5