GOLF

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN, Jan 31, 2021.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

2. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

Complete recipe for or a premadonna. I like those guys that had to fight for it....Lee, Sammy, Craig, John, Gipper, AJ....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

Oh...and Doc!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

Davis Love III count?

5. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I think Bob Tway's son Kevin was on tour for a while.

6. Terry O'Keefe

He does, his father, Davis Love, Jr. did play on the tour, but not really great player. Davis far exceeded his dad.

Davis has a son, Dru Love (4th). Who played college golf at Alabama. He hasn't had much success as a Pro

7. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

Yeah but didn't his dad make quite a name for himself as a teaching professional?

8. Terry O'Keefe

His wiki

Davis Milton Love Jr. (September 19, 1935 – November 14, 1988) was an American professional golfer. He finished tied for sixth place in the 1969 Open Championship and was the father of tour pro Davis Love III.[2]

Love played college golf at the University of Texas in Austin under head coach Harvey Penick and spent most of his professional career as a golf pro and teaching professional.[3]

Love was among four killed in a private plane crash while approaching Jacksonville International Airport through fog.[4][5] He was inducted into the Georgia Golf Hall of Fame in 1991.[3]

9. Terry O'Keefe

Golf 2022 off to a great start! Cam Smith set a record under par at -34 to hold off John Rahm at -33. Old record was -31 by Ernie Els at the same tourney. Smith and Rahm battled down the stretch and Smith had to keep making birdies to hold off Rahm. Weather was perfect and the course was playing in perfect conditions. I always like this tourney, there is that hole that the pro's can drive it almost 400 yards as it's downhill and usually down wind. Wonderful views as well.

10. kp

kp Well-Known Member

The rollout on some holes was like 100 yards. Greens are not lightning fast. The first couple of days was lift, clean, and place. With the ways those guys hit the ball, this is a birdie, eagle machine. Fun to watch especially on the last day. Smith and Rahm put on a hell of a show Saturday and Sunday.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

KP's talking about golf?....hhhmmmm, must be trying to take his mind off something he's worried about.

12. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Ha,AJ, I'm always worried about that other thing. Y'all call me names when I talk about my worries. Actually, I've played golf since my teens. I actually caddied for Curtis Strange when we were in high school. I'm just not a very good golfer myself. I played about for about 30 years, took a 15 year break, then picked it up again in the last couple of years.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Terry O'Keefe

A couple of comments from writers about 2022

1. Yeah, until they do a drastic rollback of the ball, players are going to continue to tear through scoring records. With the ball spinning way less and going way farther than ever before, some courses -- just like Kapalua proved to be -- will be no match for the world's best players.

2. The best golf tournaments aren't determined by the score, they're determined by the kind of shots players are asked to hit. Kapalua may have seemed toothless, but players still had to work the ball both directions and hit shots off uneven lies. It wasn't a surprise to see the game's creative thinkers rise to the top of the leaderboard. That's always going to be more fun than watching driving range golf,

14. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I played Kapalua years ago and sure as hell didn't tear it up. I thought it was my swing but maybe.....maybe...yeah, that's it, I had a crappy ball.

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. Terry O'Keefe

Turns out that Jack wants you to play an even crappier golf ball!

Jack Nicklaus continues to campaign for the governing bodies to roll back the ball: 'They say they put a line in the sand but that line in the sand keeps getting wider. They keep crossing it.'

If Jack Nicklaus has said it once, he’s said it a thousand times: he believes the golf ball goes too far.

Golf’s distance dilemma has been debated for years. Nicklaus has been arguing for golf’s governing bodies to roll back the distance of the golf ball since the 1970s. “I said, guys, look at this now because this is going to be a problem,” Nicklaus said.

16. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I think that Nicklaus has a point. For one thing he looks at the game from the perspective of a course architect. Many of the great older courses are becoming less and less of a challenge. As they have at Augusta the traditional courses have added length by adding additional tees. However many have little extra land to expand upon. Some turn some of their shorter par 5's into par fours. Oakland Hills for example is normally a par 72 course but when it hosts a major the par 5 8th and 18th holes are played as par 4's. Also hazards such as fairway bunkers are meant to put a premium on straight driving. Too often now pros avoid them not by being accurate but by merely carrying them on the fly. With a powered down ball, courses will not require as much land as they now do and that will reduce the amount of water, fertilizer etc. used on them.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Terry O'Keefe

New challenger to DeChambeau

He sounds more myth than man: 6-foot-9, 260 pounds, ball speeds north of 210 mph. His average driving distance: 373.1 yards. That’s according to his 2020-21 stats on the Sunshine Tour, in South Africa, which made him 15 yards longer than his closest pursuer: much-buzzed-about bomber Wilco Nienaber.

Even his name has a fictional air to it: James Hart du Preez. Could be a suitor from a Jane Austen novel.

18. Terry O'Keefe

Next month is one of my favorite.
    Starts at Laquinta, then Torrey Pines and then on to Pebble Beach a detour to Scottdale and finally back to L. A.

Some great golf ahead.

19. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I usually don't pay much attention to Hawaii but Torrey is the start of serious golf season for me. Scottsdale is always interesting. Too many distractions at Pebble.

20. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Yes but can he putt? You gotta finish what you started.

• Agree Agree x 2