Notre Dame vs Stanford.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Nov 22, 2021.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Freeman as the HC seems to be trending. I get it, the man has the energy and fire dare I say a modern day Gerry Faust, when it comes to recruiting. I'm just scared that his lack of experience will be his undoing. Of course Ryan Day had never been a HC and he'd only been on Urban's staff for 2 years before he got the HC job. He had a broad range of experiences having been at 9 different teams from 2002-2016. I guess I'm still stuck on Davie who also was an excellent DCoord at A&M and did a pretty good job at ND, nothing that warranted his elevation to HC though. But we'll see, we live in an era where there are a lot of HC in college and the NFL who are young and not a lot of experience when they got the HC job. Sean McVay is the classic example, the Packers coach Matt LeFleur is also another guy

2. Terry O'Keefe

Here's a version of what went down in this mornings meeting with the players....

After talking with sources today and double-checking various things, I wanted to include more on the team meeting early this morning.

I'm told it wasn't even a goodbye speech, but it was just one of the "worst speeches." Kelly told those in attendance he had a great run over the last 12 years, but he was looking all around the room up and down with his hands in his pockets.

Kelly said he needed a new challenge and it was the right time to go, which confused many in the room as most felt he hadn't completed the current challenge, especially with Notre Dame potentially on the verge of another CFP birth.

One source stated Kelly didn't even say goodbye as he simply walked out of the room and left. The general consensus is many players were naturally angry going into the meeting, but left even angrier after the conclusion.

Swarbrick stated the program isn't rebuilding and they were going to move quickly to hire a new coach.

Everything was over around 7:15 and that includes a players-only meeting and Jack Swarbrick addressing the team.

3. Terry O'Keefe

Pete Sampson reporting that LSU is offering Tommy Rees a 400K raise over his current salary. Rees reportedly prefers to stay at ND, but again it's the old bird in hand deal. If he takes the LSU job it's more money (no clue what he makes now) and he's with a coach who he knows and played for so that is a comfort level. If he declines and he's not the new HC and the new guy says sorry Tommy I'm bringing OCoord X with me. Then he's out and looking for a job.

4. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

ND could renegotiate Rees' contract which would give him some security. I know a HC likes to have the ultimate say in his assts. but I recall when Ty was hired by Wash. they insisted he not bring his OC with him.

5. kp

kp Well-Known Member

This kind of sounds like how Dennis Franchione left Alabama for A&M, except Franchione didn't even address the team at all, if I remember correctly

• Like Like x 1
  6. Terry O'Keefe

S&C coach Matt Balis is not going to Baton Rouge with Kelly.

• Like Like x 1