Championship Week College Football 2021

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Nov 29, 2021.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Well it's the last weekend of the regular season, a lot riding on each and every game.

All starts Friday night in Las Vegas

Oregon vs Utah Rematch! Utes boat raced them in SLC just 2 weeks ago. They will be back down at sea level in Las Vegas. Utes are a really good team, rounding into form at the right time, solid defense, well coached, etc. Oregon has had an up and down season, they are as talented as Utah, and Mario Cristobal is a good coach. This should be a much better game than the 1st game. It's hard to beat a team twice.

Baylor vs Oklahoma State Baylor has had a solid season, OSU beat them in the regular season but that was earlier in the season, I think Dave Aranda has Baylor playing very well right now. Only question is will the Baylor starter at QB be ready for the game. Bohanon has had a good season and the Bears need him to have a shot at OSU. OSU has been touted for it's defense all year, the offense has been coming around. I think Baylor has a 50/50 chance of pulling the upset if Bohanon is 100%.

Georgia vs Alabama I think everybody expects Georgia to win, that their defense will be just too much for the Tide this year. I saw today that Alabama's RB, Robinson might not be available for the game, already thin at RB not good news for Saban. Only thing I think of is that the Georgia offense hasn't exactly been LSU 2019 or Alabama 2020 so the Tide aren't very likely to be run over by them. Plus I think Smart plays tight and conservative in these big games. Tide should have a chance if they can get off to a good start on offense.

Cincinnati vs Houston The Cougars are a good football team, the 2nd best team Cincy has played all year. Cougars have a good QB/RB duo and play good defense. Cincy of course has all of that as well. Lot of pressure on the Bearcats, whereas Houston is playing with house money. I think Houston could pull the upset.

Michigan vs Iowa If the team that showed up on Saturday vs Ohio State shows up in Indianapolis this weekend, the Hawkeyes have no shot. Hawkeyes do have a solid defense, but they also don't really have a QB who can threaten them and if UM doesn't have to worry about the pass then Iowa won't be able to run either.

Pitt vs Wake Forrest. Two really good QB's in Sam Hartman and Billy Pickett. Pitt does have a defense though and Wake Forrest not so much. If Wake is to win they will have to score a lot of points.

After this all we have left before the bowls is the Army/Navy game.

2. kp

kp Well-Known Member

I'm going full Lou here. I don't think Alabama has the offensive line nor the defensive backfield to beat Georgia. Go Navy beat Army!

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Terry O'Keefe

I think those are legitimate concerns, Auburn in the 1st half had your OL on it's heels. I don't know about the DB's as I haven't seen that much of the Tide this year and Auburn's backup certainly wasn't much of a threat passing. I do know that #31 is a difference maker for you guys and Stetson Bennett better know where he's coming from on every play.

4. kp

kp Well-Known Member

If Kirby doesn't blitz us on every other play then he hasn't been watching any film. We may be down to one running back that has any carries this year and our running game hasn't been great in any case.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Terry O'Keefe

I think conventional wisdom is that it's possible if Alabama loses a very close game to UGA at the end sort of how they beat Auburn. That the Tide might stay in the top 4.

6. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Have to agree with this kp.

7. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

What, where is the Gator writeup.

Oh wait we are lucky to be in a minor bowl no conference championship.'

However we can root for our new coach in his last game at Louisiana against App State for the championship.

8. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Now I am going to pick Alabama in the contest. I just cannot put the dot in that Georgia slot.:(

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

I think there was a lot of pent up desire among Michigan and Iowa fans to attend a B10 Championship game.

8E16CD9D-E111-40BD-A2F7-95C9F6BD387D.png

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Terry O'Keefe

I did not remember that Nebraska once played for the Big 10 Championship. How did that work that they played another Big 10 West team in Wisconsin?

12. WSU1996kesley

WSU1996kesley Well-Known Member

Neither of them were B10W teams, they were ( :D ) Legends and Leaders!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
  13. Terry O'Keefe

Fair or not it does seem that even if the right teams lose this weekend that would allow the Irish to move up into the playoffs that the committee will not allow a team without it's Head Coach to be in the playoffs.

So while Oklahoma State at # 5 is primed to move up if there is action in the top 4, what if there is a major weekend of upsets that might have allowed ND to also move up. In fact I heard the guys on ESPNU say that if Oklahoma State beats Baylor soundly and Cincinnati beats Houston that they won't be shocked if Oklahoma State jumps Cincinnati.

Chaos will ensue if Houston beats UC and Baylor beats Oklahoma State and Georgia soundly defeats Alabama. In that case if Kelly were still at ND it would make sense that the Irish would move up, but these guys said that they could see the committee jumping Ohio State over Notre Dame into the Playoffs.

14. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

15. Terry O'Keefe

Kinda of a shock to me, Nebraska QB Adrian Martinez has entered the portal. He started every game this year for the Huskers except the Iowa game which he missed due to a shoulder injury that he had to have surgery on this week. Kid is pretty electric, but turnover prone.

16. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

This could be a wild weekend on determining who will end up playing in the final four spots! It would take some luck but Notre Dame might come out smelling like a rose and not in the Rose Bowl either? On the other hand maybe nothing changes at all? I am looking forward to the games.o_O

17. Terry O'Keefe

I think that even if the chaos ensues and the slot opens that could allow the Irish to move up, the upheaval of the coaching staff might find the committee jumping Ohio State over Notre Dame into the 4th slot.

ND vs Michigan State in the Fiesta Bowl
    ND vs Pitt/Wake Forrest in the Peach Bowl.

Of course no chance for the Rose Bowl I would imagine and the Sugar Bowl will be SEC vs a Big 12 team.

18. Terry O'Keefe

2 things I've seen this week.

1. There is a new slug of money headed to players, not just football players. NCAA is going to up the amount of money the schools can pay athletes for their "cost of attendance", to 6K per year. Texas said that they will give out checks for 1/2 of that this month and the other 1/2 next spring.

2. Texas alums have formed and entity called the Clark Field Collective. It's funded right now with 10M dollars. It's to take care of the run of the mill player who isn't getting much if any NIL money.

But not every Texas athlete can knock out these NIL deals as easily as Robinson. That’s where Austin, Texas sports marketer Nick Shuley thinks he can help. Shuley announced Wednesday a new partnership called the Clark Field Collective to help facilitate NIL opportunities with Texas athletes.

Shuley said prominent donors, Austin business leaders and Texas exes like Kenny Vaccaro, T.J. Ford and Juliann Johnson will help oversee what’s starting out as a $10-million commitment. The goal is simple: to have the largest fund in the country dedicated to NIL activities for Texas athletes.

Texas Longhorns donors start $10 million name, image, likeness fund

19. Terry O'Keefe

No decision on the CFP expansion, they will meet again in January at the playoff final site in Indianapolis.

"I thought there was a chance we'd get to the end today," Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby said. "We didn't, and there were good and appropriate reasons why we didn't."

The CFP's board of managers were unable to agree on an expanded format and instead will meet again in January at the national championship game in Indianapolis. Wednesday's meeting was the group's sixth in-person gathering since the CFP announced on June 10 it was considering a 12-team proposal; that includes two meetings in Chicago and four more here in Texas.

CFP board again unable to agree on expansion

20. Terry O'Keefe

Not really related to the games this weekend...

But 5 star Qb Quinn Ewers is going to transfer. Buckeyes picked up a 5 star Qb from Utah this week Devin Brown.

Kid gave up his Sr year in HS to enroll early at Ohio State, didn't get in a game this year, but he did score a sweet NIL deal.

I won't be shocked if he doesn't end up back at Texas.