Notre Dame vs Ga. Tech

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Nov 15, 2021.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

It's Senior Day! Which recently has resulted in a lot of wins. Of course some of that is the opponent, but some of it is getting the kids ready, not to get too sappy and all to take the fight out of them. Don't want them crying in the Lockeroom over playing their last game at Notre Dame stadium!

Ga. Tech a team that hasn't been very good this year. They come to Notre Dame Stadium on a 4 game losing streak. Their wins are against a good FCS school in Keenesaw State who is undefeaed in FCS play, Duke who is woeful this year and an upset of UNC. Last year they had a true freshman at QB who was a dynamic athlete, but we beat them handily and kept him (Jeff Sims) in check, they also had a young running back (Gibbs) who had some wheels but again we held him in check. If I remember correctly our DL really handled their OL and Sims never got set. I thought they were going to be a better team this season, but for some reason they aren't better.

Oh and one thing, they are the only ACC opponent not to have a week off to prepare for the Irish, wonder if they were late with their dues?

I am hopeful of course that we win, that we don't have any injuries. That we get up on them early and Kelly gives Buchner more snaps to help further his development as a passer and being in command of the entire offense. I hope Kyren has a great game, I'm sorry we are not going have another year to watch him play, he's really been such a great player for us these last 2 years. I hope that we can see some more flashes of the young players like Bothelo, Rylie Mills, Prince Kollie, Ramon Henderson, Xavier Watts, Styles, Colizie, Diggs, etc.

Josh Lugg, Kurt Hinish, Jonathan Doerer, Drew White, Myron Tagovailoa-Amosa, Avery Davis (although he has a Covid year he could use), all will be suiting up for their last time in ND stadium. I hope we send them out with a great win.

Here's what Kelly had to say about them:

ON SATURDAY’S MATCHUP WITH GEORGIA TECH
    "On to Georgia Tech and if you you look at their record, you just kind of scratch your head. We looked at it and I think there were six times in their seven losses where they had an opportunity to go ahead in the last possession.

So again, a talented football team and certainly one where a number of their games could have gone the other way. Look, in college football today, you're talking about a possession of two and in this football team, as I mentioned, six possessions where they could have changed the game. I think they have the Player of the Year in the ACC in Jahmyr Gibbs. To me, he's a breakout player. Kickoff return for a touchdown last week. Out of the backfield, I think he's had 200 yards in total offense in a number of consecutive games. He's a weapon, outstanding player.

Certainly Jeff Sims is a dynamic quarterback. Did not play last week, but his replacement is pretty darn good as well when Jordan goes in there. This is a football team that has really good football players on both sides of the ball. I know the record doesn't indicate it. But I think you look at the scores of the games they played, they really handled North Carolina earlier in the season. They've lost some games here. But this is a classic team that if you do not pay them the due respect and you do not play well against them, they will beat you. They get your attention. When I watch them play, there are good players on both sides of the ball. As I mentioned with with the Gibbs kid, I think he's the Player of the Year in the ACC, in my estimation, in terms of his talent and what he does to impact the football game.

So with that, you're getting a really, really dangerous football team and one that has finished their schedule in the ACC and now plays Notre Dame and Georgia and back to back week. In terms of their motivation, these are their bowl games in back to back weeks. So as you can see, as a head coach, these are the games that you feel a little bit uneasy about because your opponent has nothing really to worry about going into the game other than just taking a free swing and playing without anything to worry about in the sense that one at a time, Notre Dame and Georgia, and get after it. We have to play well."

2. Terry O'Keefe

It's official, Kyle Hamilton is out for the rest of the regular season. Might be available for the bowl/CFP, at that point if I'm Kyle Hamilton I'm not sure I'd suit up for a bowl game. Might suit up for the bowl game, but I'd have to have had a full Month of Prep for the CFP and be ready ready to go during that prep. No being held out of workouts and then be a "game time" decision.

3. Terry O'Keefe

ON A TIMETABLE FOR A POTENTIAL RETURN FOR KYLE HAMILTON
    "The injury itself is generally a six week injury, so there was some meniscus involvement. But that is no longer an issue. There's no meniscus at all. He's got a great meniscus, but this is much more about the healing around the knee itself and there's no structural damage at all. But it generally takes about six weeks. We're dealing with with an injury that usually takes about six weeks. It's the tissue. I'm not a doctor, so I don't want to give too much information here. There's tissue and fibers that kind of connect the tissue and fiber around the joint and then in the knee and they get pinched or pulled and that's the issue that that has to heal. So, it just takes some time… "Well, six weeks would take him through the end of the regular season and then we have to see where we are with college football playoffs, bowl games, things like that."

4. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

I doubt if we will see him play again at ND. I think it's more than the injury.

5. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

No one can be surprised by this. He probably signed with an agent a month ago. Move on.

6. Terry O'Keefe

One thing for sure, you can bet that now his knee will be examined extremely closely by a large cast of Orthopods employed by NFL teams. He's going to have so many MRI's that he'll be glowing in the dark. They don't take any chances on joints these days.

7. Terry O'Keefe

November weather in South Bend today!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Terry O'Keefe

One of my favorite players is Bo Bauer, I liked him as an unguided missile on special teams early in his career, always one step away from a late hit or personal foul...he played with passion and enthusiasm.

Sampson has a good section on him in his latest from The Athletic.

When Drew White walked on the field in sweats on Saturday night, it didn’t register as significant. The absence that mattered most was Virginia quarterback Brennan Armstrong, who quite literally is the Cavaliers offense. The surprise, though, was what Bo Bauer did with his career-high 56 snaps, which more than doubled his allotment in six individual games this season. He finished with nine tackles, 1.5 sacks and a pass breakup.

His sack of Jay Woolfolk on third-and-10 was the textbook example of an old player playing old. When it comes to blitzing, it’s less about how quickly you get there than how well you vary speeds. Bauer did that on his blitz, playing off Rylie Mills, turning his body and engulfing the quarterback. If that’s Sam Howell, maybe Bauer slides off because he comes in high. But it’s not, so it’s a sack.

Credit Bauer for transforming himself into a modern middle linebacker. When he enrolled, he looked more like a future James Skalski, all brute strength and hitting and neck rolls. No ability to play sideline to sideline. No shot in coverage. Instead Bauer, who committed to Notre Dame when the defensive coordinator was Brian VanGorder, has adapted over and over. The idea of him returning for a free COVID-19 year feels little a potential boon for next season.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Terry O'Keefe

Irish Men beat High Point last night, it was a close game all the way. We did get up by 10 points a couple of times in the 2nd half but High Point kept making runs, final was a 9 point win. High Point had one player named Wright who was deadly shooting the ball esp out of the gate in the 1st half. I didn't know that Tubby Smith was the High Point Coach, but he's been there for 4 years now.

We didn't shoot the ball esp well, fired up a bunch of 3's. Freshman Blake Wesley who scored 21 points in the game vs Cal State didn't really do much when he got in the game, transfer from Yale Paul Atkinson looks like he's going to fit in nicely with the team.

Next we head to Las Vegas and the Maui Invitational.

10. Terry O'Keefe

Since it's Senior Day, how have the seniors faired at ND? Very well, those that stayed at least.

Notre Dame signed 27 players in its recruiting class of 2018, but just 15 remain with the team from that oversized haul. The current crew has since won 42 of their 48 games played, placing them atop the heap in terms of winning percentage among classes in modern program history (1964-present).

The Winners: Notre Dame’s Class of 2018

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Terry O'Keefe

Reading that Jeff Sims the talented Ga.Tech qB is unknown for this game. He did not play vs BC last week. Huge loss if he can't go this week either. They have a really great RB in Jahymr Gibbs and if Sims is healthy he's also a threat in the running game.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Terry O'Keefe

Starting to see talk that Marcus Freeman will be a candidate for some Power 5 HC jobs. Nothing specific at this point, but he no doubt wants to be a HC and really for guys like him it's about getting the right job. I wouldn't say Lea taking the Vanderbilt job was a great move, but he is an alum so that had an impact. But I saw one guy speculate that he would be a good fit at Va.Tech or of course Cincinnati if Luke Fickel doesn't return as the HC next year and is at Penn State/USC/LSU.

I do wish he'd stay around 3 years, his recruiting would build up the Irish defense and continue his growth as a DCoord. I think he's done a good job, but that 3 man front was a bad look for the Irish early in the season and I hope he's figured that out.

13. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I think Freeman is doing a great job at recruiting. The talk of his moving on could really hurt. Cincy is going to lose a number of key players including QB and a couple of draft quality corners. I can see Fickel moving on but I'm not sure Freeman would go back there.

14. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Did I see somewhere that Kelly implied that when his current contract is up, Freeman will succeed him? I think but am not sure I saw something like that. I stand to be corrected because of my questionable memory.

15. Terry O'Keefe

No he never said that but he did say that Freeman was going to be a Head Coach somewhere and would be a great one or something like that. But how he said it was widely misconstrued as him endorsing Freeman to replace him when he retires.

16. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Thanks, Terry, for the clarification.

17. Terry O'Keefe

Irish Sports off to a good start, Hockey took down #1 ranked Michigan at Yost 3-2 in OT.

Irish Women's Soccer beat Purdue 4-3 on penalty kicks to advance to the 3rd round of the NCAA tournament at Fayetteville Ark, next up on Sunday will be the #2 seeded Razorbacks.

Irish Men's Soccer, ACC Tournament Champions had a 1st round bye and face Villanova on Sunday in the 2nd round at Notre Dame.

18. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I think Sid's been forwarding Terry and George's comments about our point production to Kelly. Looks like he got the message.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. George Krebs

Drew Brees said it too. Look at my photo here..... I made Kelly an offer he couldn't refuse.

20. George Krebs

Now that’s what I’m talking an out ! And how about that Estime ? Next year give him #6 and call him Bettis Jr.