GOLF

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN, Jan 31, 2021.

1. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I'm beginning to think that God is a Euro.

2. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

Well in fairness to the statistic the study was done with all the pros on tour, not just the ones who we see who are hot that day, or the ones we’re seeing now who are the best in the world. And also in fairness I saw a couple short putts missed…by both teams. The Euros certainly dropped some bombs though.

3. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

One of my golfing duffer friends is a priest, and when teased about his having extra influence he always comes back with the statement that in his experience God favors the talented.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

USA 19-9 total domination by the USA. Didn't lose a single session, dominated the singles. Even took down Rahm finally in the singles. We have a lot of young talent and should be good for quite awhile.

5. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

While the US team is young the Euros have some "senior" guys. Westwood likely played in his last cup. Casey is 44, Sergio is 41 and the Poultergeist is also over 40. Rahm and Hovland will be around for many cups but the US has much better depth.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

We certainly were due but I was very impressed with our performance this go around.

7. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Did anyone else notice that the US could have ended several matches early if they only made some very makeable putts? We won by the biggest margin ever and it could have been bigger if Morikawa had made a putt. Don't get me wrong, I am tickled. The Ryder Cup is really fun to watch, but sometimes I think we need more of the killer instinct.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Terry O'Keefe

Bryson Dechambeau faces off vs Matt Nicole (UK) today at noon in that Long Drive World Championship. Nicolle is a former European Long Drive Champion.

9. Terry O'Keefe

Well Bryson made it out of the 1st round, longest drive was 412 yds.

Bryson DeChambeau finished tied for second place in his group after the first day of the Professional Long Drivers Association World Championships in Mesquite, Nevada, averaging 406.2 yards on his five longest tee shots.

DeChambeau hit drives of 412, 408, 407, 403 and 401 yards on Tuesday to advance to the next round. The field on Wednesday will be narrowed from 64 to 32, with the top eight from each group advancing to Thursday, then down to the final 16 for Friday's final round.

10. Terry O'Keefe

Torrey Pines/Farmers Ins Open adjusts to NFL.

The Farmers Insurance Open at Torrey Pines had an ideal spot on the West Coast Swing as the weekend between the NFL conference championship games and the Super Bowl. That changed when the NFL added a game to its regular season.

That led the tour to adapt by starting the tournament a day earlier, on Wednesday, and giving CBS a prime-time finish for most of the country on Saturday, a day ahead of the NFC and AFC title games.

The Farmers Insurance Open now will be Jan. 26-29.

11. Terry O'Keefe

Bryson moved on to the Round of 32 yesterday. On the Golf Channel they said it's a very good chance that Bryson will make the finals, just that they can't see him wining it.

12. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Looks like "Bones" Mackay will be returning to caddying. I've enjoyed his work on NBC. He's going to be working for Justin Thomas who he's worked for in the past when Thomas' regular caddy was injured. They say he'll still do TV when his schedule allows. Probably will make more if Thomas keeps having success on the tour.

13. Terry O'Keefe

I saw that, no clue what he makes with the TV gig vs what he'd make on the bag for JT. I guess maybe he misses being on the bag for a top PGA tour player.

14. Terry O'Keefe

Bryson did make the "elite" 8, the finals but that was it for him. Not bad for a guy who, while he does work on distance with the driver, it's a different ballgame in long drive competition.

15. Terry O'Keefe

I'm starting to smell a rat. The Kopeka v Dechambeau feud never really made a lot of sense to me ..till I read that they are now going to have one of those TV matches to settle it all. Wouldn't be much fun or draw attention if it's just 2 of the better players on the PGA Tour. So what better way to promote it than a year long feud between the 2 players. Money, Dude! That's the key.

It's only 12 holes, I wonder why?

After months of back-and-forth, Bryson DeChambeau and Brooks Koepka are set to face off in golf’s equivalent of a prize fight: a 12-hole match in Las Vegas. Their showdown will be the fifth edition of The Match, each one presented by Turner Sports, and will take place the day after Thanksgiving at The Wynn Golf Club, just steps from the Strip.

The Nov. 26 meeting will be the first one-on-one matchup since the original edition, which pitted Tiger Woods against Phil Mickelson the day after Thanksgiving in 2018.

This time around, DeChambeau and Koepka will play a 12-hole match, settling their feud on the course. Both players will be mic’d up and Turner broadcasters Charles Barkley and Ernie Johnson will be on the call. The Match V will be the first that won’t include Mickelson as a competitor, though he is expected to still be involved in some capacity.

It’s happening! Bryson DeChambeau, Brooks Koepka to face off in Vegas Match.

16. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Re only 12 holes, when you create a matchup and you only have 2 hrs broadcast time, you have to make some alterations. (My guess.)

17. Terry O'Keefe

Phil is turning the Champions Tour into his own personal Tour. Won today for his 3rd victory in 4 events.

I thought this comment telling...

Mickelson birdied the first three holes but blocked his tee shot left on the par-4 fifth, leading to a double bogey.

"You do that on the regular tour, you just get eaten alive, you just can't make those mistakes there and have a chance to compete and contend and win," he said. "So I like how you don't have to be perfect and I can get away with a shot or two here or there."

18. Terry O'Keefe

Not a hole in 1 but not a bad 2nd ....

Sunday
    Hole 13, Quail Valley Golf Course, Missouri City Texas...El Dorado course.
    Par 4, 355 yds from the gold tee's (senior tee's). Water at the end of the fairway and to the right of the green, an L shaped pond.

Hit one of my best drives of the day, left me about 102 to the pin, a bit of wind into me. I count on my pitching wedge for about 110 yds. Hit is nicely, high ball flight hit about 5 yards short of the pin and with the wind and the high ball flight I thought it was done turned to my partner and said that felt like a good shot, he said ..yeah it just rolled in! My first ever Eagle on a par 4.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Terry, my response to your story above is WOW! What a great experience. IMO it's the equal of a hole-in-one on a par 3. The difference is, you didn't have to buy drinks after the round. :)

20. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I'm more impressed with the 250+yd. drive. Although filling the cavity from 102 isn't bad either.

• Funny Funny x 1