Notre Dame vs Purdue.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Sep 13, 2021.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

As I said I believe that between power 5 leagues the visitors bring their refs.

Wasn't always that way, when ND went to Big10 venues at one time it was always big 10 refs.

2. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

My understanding was wrong it was a Big 10 crew.

3. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

Thread drift. My fault. :(

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

For the record, I disagree with the decision not to let the Purdue drum come through the main tunnel. Someone else here called it petty. I agree.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Stu Ryckman

Yeah, Sid...as I said we've always been treated pretty well at South Bend. Don't know what that was all about but hey, the Big Bass Drum crew got to "perform".

• Like Like x 1
  6. Terry O'Keefe

It was about being arbitrary and petty.

7. Stu Ryckman

I'd rather y'all not be so petty and let us win the football game. :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Terry O'Keefe

I'm pretty sure that we no longer allow animal mascots in the stadium, Air Force Falcon I think might be an exception. Even though at one time we had a dog as a mascot.

So I get it that there are rules and protocols for the Stadium. I just think that it would have been an easy exception to allow for the Drum.

I've seen claims that Purdue didn't tell ND they were going to bring the drum till last week. Still how hard would it have been to figure it out.

9. Stu Ryckman

We’ve only brought the drum to South Bend for a hundred years or so.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Terry O'Keefe

The biggest topic after the Purdue win wasn't really the game, it was Brian Kelly equaling Rockne's record.

Many fans/posters are angry that ND is promoting him. They feel he's not worthy and that since the NCAA vacated 24 of the wins that he's a long way from the record.

11. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Re: Kelly tying Rockne's record. For me it's a non-event. It does nothing to diminish the Rockne legend. There always will be the specter of the vacated wins, however unjustified. He hasn't established a consistently dominant program, as did Rockne, Leahy, Ara, and Lou. It certainly is a testament to longevity of employment in the what-have-you-done-for-me-lately football world, but when I think of ND coaching legends, he's not in the mix. Don't get me wrong. I respect and appreciate what he's done for the program, and I wish him continued success. I just don't think he's legend worthy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Rockne's teams lost 12 times, Kelly's ND teams 39, therein lies the difference.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Terry O'Keefe

ICON for ND/Purdue

• Like Like x 1
  14. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Coan really makes you appreciate Ian Book. He is a good QB but a statue in the pocket. This has forced Kelly to use the freshman in a most predictable fashion.

O Line played better in the last quarter and a half. If you ever lose Josh Lugg the first place to look is on the ground right next to what's left of your QB. Those two tackles are an adventure a minute.

Defense looks better although prone to giving up the big play.

This week should tell the tale.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I've got a different view of Coan. I see a QB whose job it is to deliver the ball to his receivers. Book never took the time to let plays develop, he was way to quick to take off if he didn't see a play right away. Coan has the patience and COURAGE to stay in what little pocket he has and wait for receivers to separate. We've already see much more involvement in the offense by our WRs. Yeah he's not that great a runner but then neither is Tom Brady. (Coan was supposedly a highly rated Lacrosse player. His position was Attack. How is an Attack player not mobile?)

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
  16. Terry O'Keefe

I think Jack Coan is a very good QB, not an elite QB. Clearly different that Ian Book. Coan is a QB who needs a good line in front of him, as do most QB's. Book was an escape artist no doubt, and that is the difference. I'm not sure though that even Ian Book would have been as effective this year had he stayed and played behind our current OL.

I do hope that Kelly/Rees continue to expand the package of plays that Tyler Buchner can run. Right now opposing DCoord can just figure he's going to run the ball and set their defenses for that. His effectiveness is going to decline as they adjust. That was a great run he had in the 1st half but those are going to be harder and harder unless he can threaten them with the pass. Brees and Tirico both said that watching him in practice that the kid has a great arm.

17. jif5

jif5 Well-Known Member

sidney..every ND schedule for years has included 5 or more patsys..and in the rare case a toughie appears..its always at home. just scan through the next 5 years! Im so tired of ND being in top 10. so far this year hello Toledo!!!

18. Terry O'Keefe

Hello Joel! Glad you haven't lost your fire! Hope all is well in the mini-state. :D

19. Terry O'Keefe

Somebody dug up the actual NCAA document on the ND sanctions that included the vacating of wins.

...Here's what the 11/22/2016 decision (linked below) says on that subject:

"Further, the institution's records regarding its athletics programs, as well as the records of its head coach, will reflect the vacated records and will be recorded in all publications in which such records are reported, including, but not limited to, institutional media guides, recruiting material, electronic and digital media plus institutional, conference and NCAA archives. Any institution that may subsequently hire the affected head coach shall similarly reflect the vacated wins in his career records documented in media guides and other publications cited above. Head coaches with vacated wins on their records may not count the vacated wins toward specific honors or victory "milestones" such as 100th, 200th or 500th career victories. Any public reference to the vacated contests shall be removed from the athletics department stationary, banners displayed in public areas and any other forum in which they may appear."

20. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Some of the wins vacated were against OK and USC both or whom had representatives sitting on the disciplinary committee. Speaking of USC they were incredibly dirty especially the Carroll teams with Bush. They had to vacate all of 14 wins 20 less than they stole from Kelly.