College Football Off Season.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Feb 4, 2021.

1. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

12???
    WTF?

2. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

12 makes more money Scott!o_O

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Here's a link to a Yahoo Sports article on it. I'm not surprised at this, there is so much unhappiness over the selection and truthfully the playoff has made the bowl season irrelevant. To me once you get past 4 then it's not really much of a leap to 12 or even 16.

Many teams/leagues feel that they have no shot at the playoffs, of course they didn't before the playoffs or the BCS even. But like the Final Four they all want to at least say they made it even if they get blasted in the 1st round.

With College Football Playoff change looming, a 12-team model leads the way

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  4. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Was going to post the Yahoo article. Don't know just how all this will affect the bowl system but with the number of players opting out of the Bowl games they are becoming less relevant anyway.

Ours was a disaster for the Gators as all three of our top draftees opted out.

5. Scott88

Part of the hope is that this will cause more kids to stay in.
    You're in the playoff... so the games matter, and your image can be further promoted for your own profit (if you're one of the few who has that going).

6. Terry O'Keefe

The thing that always bothers me is the guaranteed bids. I know that P5 conferences would likely love it their champions had automatic bids, it does leave open that an upset happens and a team gets into the playoff that really shouldn't be there. The only way to give the auto bid and still make sure that the "best" teams also get in is to expand to 12 or 16 teams. That way top rated teams don't have to be left out for an autobid team. Also going to 12 allows for Group of 5 teams to get into the mix. There wouldn't be a 2017 situation where UCF goes undefeated and doesn't get a sniff.

As the bowls have become irrelevant it's a natural to expand the playoff. Also as I said everybody want's to say they were a playoff team whether they win a game or not, just as in the Final Four the 16 seeds are thrilled to be there to get beaten by the #1 seed.

Also with expansion it opens up the possibility for upsets in the playoffs and the ultimate winner might be a team who is the equivalent of a NFL wildcard team winning the Super Bowl, which has happened 6 times since the wildcard was initiated.

7. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

The s**t is hitting the fan in Ann Arbor.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/michigan/2021/06/09/schembechler-son-
    discuss-anderson-say-he-told-dad-abuse/7622194002/

From all that I have read, Matt had a horrible relationship with his father. He sued Bo and the university over a memorabilia dispute and collaborated with a former player who later became a writer to write a magazine article portraying Schembechler as an abusive parent and bullying coach. He was disinherited when Bo died. So, I do not discount the possibility that he might be lying to totally rubbish the reputation of a father he hated but who knows? It is clear from the report that was issued at the request of the school that three individuals told Bo that they were abused by Anderson but A stayed at his job and continued his abuse. Two other players will be apparently saying Bo knew at the press conference. Yost Arena may not be the only building in AA that undergoes a name change.

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  8. Terry O'Keefe

Bob, this makes me sad. This is different than ND beating M or M losing in anything. It's young men and women losing to abuse by someone they should be able to trust. Priests, Coaches, Ministers, Boy Scout leaders, Teachers, etc all should be amongst those you can trust to have only your interest at heart. Sadly that isn't the case, and it makes me sad.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Terry O'Keefe

So this preliminary setup is really not fair to Notre Dame. Yeah I know, Join a conference. But the way the proposal is set if Notre Dame finishes the season ranked #1, they would be seeded #5 at best and not get a bye. That isn't right.

The working group was appointed by their management committee colleagues and has met over a two-year period to discuss possible new formats. The proposal calls for the bracket each year to include the six highest-ranked conference champions, plus the six highest-ranked other teams as determined by the College Football Playoff selection committee. No conference would qualify automatically and there would be no limit on the number of participants from a conference.

The four highest-ranked conference champions would be seeded one through four and each would receive a first-round bye, while teams seeded five through 12 would play each other in the first round on the home field of the higher-ranked team. (The team ranked #5 would host #12; team #6 would meet team #11; team #7 would play team #10; and team #8 would meet #9.) Under the proposal, the quarterfinals and semifinals would be played in bowl games. The championship game would continue to be at a neutral site, as under the current format.

12-Team Playoff Proposed by College Football Playoff Working Group - College Football Playoff

10. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Jeez that whole can of worms with Bo’s son is awful. Coming on top of the Penn St horrors and MSU’s failures it’s starting to look like no school is immune from accusations.

11. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Re the playoffs, for years we heard “playing in a conference is much more difficult than being an independent.” OK we played a season in a conference. We went undefeated.

12. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Good job. Quite an accomplishment!:D

13. Scott88

I think the champ game counts... ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

ND AD Jack Swarbrick agreed to the plan saying the conference teams put their standing on the line in their conference championship games. ND’s extra game would be comparable. I think he’s got a good point.

15. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Not that this matters to anyone but me: If never having a bye is the price we pay for independence, I'm OK with it. Why? If we truly are one of the 4 best teams, it will be proven by our performance regardless of the number of games played. Just my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  16. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

If it expands to 12 teams it will be much more difficult for the naysayers to claim that the Irish do not belong in the playoffs. I don't think anyone could seriously argue that they are not in the Top 12 every year in recent memory.

Now if we could actually win a NC that might stir people up again.

17. Terry O'Keefe

Name a playoff in any sport which involves seeding, where the best teams from the regular season don't get the top seeds? That's what this proposal is suggesting. As I said I get it that some (many) might say "join a conference" if you don't like it or Conf champs play an extra game so they deserve it. But it leaves open that ND could be higher ranked than all conference champions and be seeded behind them.

The playoff seeding should reward the best teams, not punish a team for not being in a conference.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

We will have to join a conference otherwise it doesn’t make sense for ND. We won’t be able to get a first round bye

19. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Makes no sense to me why they would reserve the top 4 seeds for only teams affiliated with a conference. They do not do that, as far as I am aware, for basketball or hockey and see no reason why football should be treated differently.

20. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Agreed. If we go to 12 then the 12 should be selected and then seeded.

• Agree Agree x 3