Coronavirus information

Discussion in 'Political Discussions' started by WSU1996kesley, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

An old headline from the Washington Post regarding if Covid was created in a Wuhan lab.

3CBF4172-FC64-4958-8D44-108206930587.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  2. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

OPINION: Leftist newspapers especially the New York Times and Washington Post are FULL OF ****.

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Some good news for those who had a mild case of covid...your antibodies are going to be strong for the rest of your life!

Months after recovering from mild cases of COVID-19, people still have immune cells in their body pumping out antibodies against the virus that causes COVID-19, according to a study from researchers at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis. Such cells could persist for a lifetime, churning out antibodies all the while.

Good news: Mild COVID-19 induces lasting antibody protection | Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. Terry O'Keefe

Good things on the horizon for the technology that created the mRNA vaccines that have helped stem the tide vs Covid.

The messenger RNA, or mRNA, platform may be new to the global public, but it's a technology that researchers had been betting on for decades. Now those bets are paying off, and not just by turning back a pandemic that killed millions in just a year.

This approach that led to remarkably safe and effective vaccines against a new virus is also showing promise against old enemies such as HIV, and infections that threaten babies and young children, such as respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) and metapneumovirus. It's being tested as a treatment for cancers, including melanoma and brain tumors. It might offer a new way to treat autoimmune diseases. And it's also being checked out as a possible alternative to gene therapy for intractable conditions such as sickle cell disease.

Messenger RNA vaccines: Now proven against coronavirus, the technology can do so much more - CNN

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

And it's the network that is truly losing their viewers at an alarming rate. Alarming for them that is. Doesn't bother me a bit.

6. Terry O'Keefe

US is giving 500M doses of the Pfizer Vaccine to a coalition that distributes it to poor countries. Says something about our effort in operation 'warp speed' that we are in a position to give it away when not that long ago we were all playing wack a mole trying to get appointments for the vaccine. Now you can get it everywhere, just walk in and get it for free. If you can't get the vax you just don't want to get it. So now we have excess inventory and it's a good thing we can share it with other countries.

US to donate 500 million doses of Pfizer vaccine to combat COVID

7. Terry O'Keefe

Ohio reports 20,000th death and fewest hospitalizations to date
    Ohio crossed two COVID-19 milestones Tuesday, surpassing 20,000 deaths but also reporting the fewest number of people currently hospitalized statewide.

Only 503 COVID patients were being treated in Ohio hospitals Tuesday, the lowest number seen since the Ohio Hospital Association began collecting data in March 2020. That's down from a high of 5,308 on Dec. 15, 2020, and 1,058 just one month ago.

After recording a high of 5,520 deaths in December, the state saw a decline in January and February as people in long-term care facilities got vaccinated. As of Tuesday, more than 46% of Ohio's population had received at least one vaccine shot.

8. Terry O'Keefe

A tale of two states: Did Minnesota get it right?

An analysis of data from Michigan and Minnesota – the only two states to provide detailed and comparable vaccine records in response to records requests from USA TODAY – reveals that Minnesota supercharged its health care system, dispersing doses to a wide network of doctor's offices and hospitals across the state. Michigan, in an effort to equitably distribute vaccines to rich and poor alike, steered doses to public health departments that aimed to entice uninsured residents to mass vaccine events.

Not only did Michigan trail Minnesota’s overall vaccination rate through the end of March, it didn't do any better at vaccinating poor minority residents. Dr. Bryan Jarabek, chief informatics officer at M Health Fairview in Minnesota, said all the hospitals in the state have clinics surrounding them.

“The hospitals and clinics are positioned to take care of the whole state," he said. "We then showed that to the governor ... and said, ‘You can trust us. Give us the vaccines. We will get it to the places that need it.’”

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Yes! I will never again misplace my car and house keys.

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Terry O'Keefe

Oh Lord....sometimes you just can't believe what other people believe. Pictures on the internet of people who are now magnetic after getting the vax. :eek::eek:

11. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Along the same line:

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Then there are those who reap social benefits:

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

While I totally believe in a person's right to choose vaccination, I would LOVE for this guy or his "sticky" friends to do the math calculation to prove to me that a quarter would stick if you were magnetic.
    A quarter is 92% copper, and only 8% nickel. Copper is NOT magnetic. So first prove to me a quarter would have enough magnetic properties to overcome it's 92% non-magnetic mass to stick.
    Then I'll move on to another reason why it's NOT the vaccine.
    :p

Being the curious type, but too lazy to do the math I did a little home test.
    I just went in the garage with a small round magnet, and picked up a steel washer the size of a quarter, but heavier. I then attempted to do the same with the quarter. Somehow... it didn't stick.
    These people must be SUPER ELECTRO-MAGNETIC!!!
    :D

• Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  14. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Scott, I posted the last picture because I believe the guy was being humorously sarcastic, whereas the first two were serious. When have you seen a person who really believes in such fiction wearing a mask?

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

I have a question, lady. When did you stop taking your meds?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Terry O'Keefe

Rapid decline now of mask wear. At church yesterday there were only a scattered few who had mask's on where as 2 months ago the congregation was 99% masked.

Grocery store was maybe 50-50. At the restaurants I've been in it's zero except for the wait staff.

17. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Same here in my area in Indiana. It felt weird. Still does, but I stopped wearing my mask in church, store, and restaurants. Being vaccinated is a source of comfort, knowing I won't be infecting someone else, and if I should become infected, it shouldn't be as dire as in the past.

18. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Left Fl. where masks are usually seen at Dr.'s offices and at the airport only, arrived in Cal. and it was a throwback to April. Masks everywhere and almost everyone had them all the way on not below the nose. Glad to be back home and enjoying living.

19. Terry O'Keefe

A study out Thursday on the risk of heart damage to college athletes who have had COVID-19 contradicts other recent studies by suggesting symptoms are not the best indicator for possible heart problems and advocating for continued high-level cardiac monitoring, awareness and possible testing of athletes post-COVID.

The study published in JAMA Cardiology found the inflammatory heart condition myocarditis in 37, or 2.3%, of 1,597 Big Ten college athletes given a cardiac MRI after testing positive for COVID-19.

Study: Athletes see higher post-COVID heart risk

Just my opinion, but that sounds like good news, granted any athlete who develops a cardiac issue is a concern, but that's a pretty low number.

20. Tennessee Tom

Tennessee Tom Well-Known Member Administrator

Scott... Neither Copper nor Nickel are ferrous metals (they contain no iron). Only ferrous metals can be attracted by magnets. Today's keys are aluminum... no magnetic attraction of any kind.