Coronavirus information

Discussion in 'Political Discussions' started by WSU1996kesley, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

My wife is an RN case manager....and knows from very personal phone conversations of people who have suffered the consequences of Covid and also those that refuse to get the vaccine for unfounded reasons.
    Then there is her best friend here in Florida.... also an RN.... but who is from western Michigan.... which is a decidedly conservative area and she has not believed the Covid crisis was a true crisis from the start, doesn't believe in masks or other measures and refuses to watch any news to the contrary. She will not get the vaccine and you can't even mention it to her or anything for that matter that is thought of as anti-Trump or anti-conservative. Again.... my wife and I feel that it is her avoidance of anything resembling factual news that leads her to such a careless attitude on Covid. It has caused a silent rift in the relationship my wife has with her.... I believe she doesn't realize it but my both my wife and I have lost respect for her.

Good post George..... sorry for your personal loss.

2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Keep truckin' there Dave with unverifiable stories of how stupid conservatives are the cause of all the Covid problems. I'm sure you will be onboard if the Democrats force all Americans to be vaccinated whether willingly or by force. Put those who won't into camps till they agree right?

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Motorcity Gator

Everything I said about my wife’s friend is 110% true. That’s an individual story.... not meant to be a catch all.
    There’s a group of Americans who are basically not trusting the safety of the vaccine as their reason for not getting it and in that group Democrats outnumber Republicans.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    Last edited: May 15, 2021
  4. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

In my company we have followed strict covid protocols since the beginning and still do. We have followed the CDC guidelines for mask wearing . We just re-wrote our policy on Thursday; if you are fully vaccinated you no longer need to wear a mask on the premises. If you are not vaccinated, too bad. Its a fine line. I can detect no political leanings in everyone's choice to be vaxxed or not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Motorcity Gator

George not everyone refusing to get the vaccine does so for political reasons..... but of the few I know who do refuse soley for that reason.... including my wife's best friend and my first cousin whom I've been close with our entire lives.... it's because they are staunchly pro-Trump and GOP alt right conservatives.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Terry O'Keefe

When the UK started delaying the 2nd dose so that they could get more people their first dose, most of the experts (Dr. Fauci) in the US said that they didn't think it was a good idea and that all the research was done with the 2nd dose at a specific time. UK went ahead and did delay it and now it seems like that might have been a good decision. Recent studies indicate a stronger response when the delay was 11-12 weeks instead of the recommended. 3 weeks (for Pfzer). The study was limited to those 80 and older so you can only speculate that it would have been the same for younger people. Still it was very interesting and points out that while we know a lot, there is still a lot to earn. I fully expect that somewhere in the next year we'll be talking about booster shots.

To determine whether the delay paid off, Amirthalingam and her colleagues studied 175 vaccine recipients older than 80 who received their second dose of the Pfizer vaccine either 3 weeks or 11–12 weeks after the first dose. The team measured recipients’ levels of antibodies against the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein and assessed how immune cells called T cells, which can help to maintain antibody levels over time, responded to vaccination.

Peak antibody levels were 3.5 times higher in those who waited 12 weeks for their booster shot than were those in people who waited only 3 weeks. Peak T-cell response was lower in those with the extended interval. But this did not cause antibody levels to decline more quickly over the nine weeks after the booster shot.

Delaying a COVID vaccine’s second dose boosts immune response

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Terry O'Keefe

Numbers inching up!!

The US has reached a "landmark day" in the Covid-19 pandemic as 60% of American adults have gotten at least one dose of a coronavirus vaccine, the director of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said.

In addition, more than 4.1 million young people ages 12 to 17 have received their first dose, Dr. Rochelle Walensky said.
    "We need to continue to ensure vaccination coverage is uniform across the country," Walensky said Tuesday.
    "This will require us to meet people where they are, to listen to their concerns, and to help people make informed decision about vaccination."

US coronavirus: About 60% of Americans 18 and older have had at least one dose of Covid-19 vaccine - CNN

• Like Like x 1
  8. Terry O'Keefe

Since 100% of those claiming to be Democrats have not been vaccinated, what is their reason for not getting the vaccine? You claim that Republicans, including your relatives are doing so for political reasons, again what are the reasons Democrats aren't getting it?

• Like Like x 1
  9. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I'll suggest it's because Trump wants them to.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Good question Terry, good answer gipper.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Motorcity Gator

Terry you may have missed that I posted the following:
    "There’s a group of Americans who are basically not trusting the safety of the vaccine as their reason for not getting it and in that group Democrats outnumber Republicans."

12. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

Gipper, if in 5 years I start seeing those infomercials like the Round Up weed spray thing, IRT the moderna shot, you know any lawyers that can rep me? I feel perfect now, except for that non stop twitch that started on day 2.

13. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I spent 40 yrs. doing battle with the champions of the poor and oppressed that represented them in claims and took 1/3 of their recoveries. Those guys here in Fla. are a different breed. They suck out 40%. If you watch commercial TV here the only commercials are for drug companies and injury attorneys.

14. Motorcity Gator

Ten states have vaccinated less than half of their adult residents with at least one dose, and their average per capita Covid case rate was about 19% higher than those seven states that have already reached the Biden administration's goal.
    The 10 states that have vaccinated less than half of their adult residents -- Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Idaho, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia and Wyoming -- reported an average of more than 78 new cases per 100,000 people over the past week.

15. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

Those 10 states average 8.8 new cases per day per 100,000 (I went to NY Times site and pulled them all up individually and averaged them). The US average is 9.0. It is way down from where it was.

Coronavirus in the U.S.: Latest Map and Case Count

16. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

I guess all that "Neanderthal thinking" down here in Texas didn't really hurt us when we opened all the way. No deaths since then...

17. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Neanderthal thinking is putting infected individuals back into their nursing homes.

Last edited: May 20, 2021
  18. Motorcity Gator

19. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Don't bother to look, it's only another CNN post and let's face it they only post positive left news and negative conservative news. But it is the network of Brotherly Love.

20. Terry O'Keefe

I see that the theory that the virus escaped from a Chicom Commie lab in Wuhan, advanced by Trump and ridiculed in the left wing media is now gaining support. Even the sainted Dr. Fauci says it could be true after calling it essentially crap a year ago. I guess if it is true that it was created by the Chinese, and it's confirmed now that Biden will no doubt step up and say Trump was right. :(:(