PLAY BALL!

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN, Apr 1, 2021.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Has he done anything other than DH for the last couple of years? In the NL with no DH he'll either just be a pinch hitter or they'll have to sit Max Muncy for some games if he's still able to play 1st base.

2. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Given how little out-of-pocket money they're paying him, and based on an article I read in the LA Times, I'm guessing they want a veteran presence similar to what Chase Utley provided in the years he was with the Dodgers. The writer of the article cited Utley's positive influence on the younger players as well as his on-field performance. The writer also speculated that Muncy could move to 2b if they decided to play Pujols at 1b. Like you, Terry, I can't see him being a regular in the lineup other than being plugged in to help overcome the injury issues they've had so far this season.

I really miss JO'Co for a lot of reasons. This acquisition by the Dodgers is just one. He'd clear up these questions with one post. :(

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Terry O'Keefe

Another no hitter yesterday, Spencer Turnbull of the Tigers over the Mariners. That's the 5th no hitter and Seattle like Cleveland has now been no hit twice!

4. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

Zach Plesac for the Tribe flirted with a no-hitter against the Mariners last week. Interesting guy...good hitter and played nearly every position at Ball State except catcher. Wants to be a two-way player like Ohtani but the Indians said "no". He's hoping to get a start in a National League Park next month so he can hit.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Terry O'Keefe

Another no-hitter, this one by Kluber vs the Rangers. That makes 6 and we are not out of May. The record in the modern era is 7, happened three times (1990, 1991 and 2012).

6. Terry O'Keefe

Good article on "base stealing" on The Athletic. According to the article if the current pace keeps up there will be 1000 fewer stolen bases in MLB this year than 10 years ago. No speculation though why stolen bases are down, surely it's not we have slower players or every catcher has a cannon for an arm. More likely it's just a change in strategy driven by analytics.

However baseball is experimenting with some new rules in A ball. One of them is in High A ball where the pitcher has to step off the mound to make his throw or it's a balk. The other is in Low A ball and the pitcher only gets 2 throws to 1st, they can make 3rd throw but if they don't get the pickoff it's a balk. So not surprisingly stolen base attempts are up significantly, a track meet so to speak. Sometimes I think things are better left alone.

7. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

What an unbelievably desperate attempt to fix what ain't broke. It makes no sense at all. Prediction: These outright stupid experiments will die an ignominious death.

One more reason I miss JO'Co. I'd love to hear Corey's opinion, even if he disagrees with mine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

MLB has fallen in love with the long ball and creating runs has gone out the window. Look no further than the Yankees. They bludgeon their way into the post season almost every year. But when they run into the top shelf pitching that's the end of the line. They can't bunt at all. They cannot hit and run. And they do not steal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

It was girls WWE “I’ll kick your ass, bitch” night at a recent Cards v White Sox game in south side Chicago.
    These Cards girls should have known that there are no “friendly confines” at Guaranteed Rate Park.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

To honor Coach....going to the 4 game series in St. Louie against the Dodgers. 1st game is on Labor Day. Can't have a Dodger Dog, but I'll raise a Bud to my Bud.

Gonna contact Busch Stadium, and see if they can post a remembrance shoutouts on one of those outfield screens.

COREY: if this is cool with you, any ideas of what I should have them display?

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

Did anybody see Baez's play against the Pirates?

12. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Wow for Baez. :)

Also in the minors at least one league is experimenting with larger bases. A half inch or something like that. Don't see how that would make much difference stealing a base.

14. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

All the first baseman had to do was step on the bag. He should be playing Single A today.

15. Terry O'Keefe

Don't follow the NL that much, but Mets pitcher Jacob deGrom has a era of 0.71 on June 1st something we haven't seen since 1964. Can he keep it up?

16. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

82 Ks in 51 innings. Both the SO rate and the ERA are Bob Gibson-like.
    Yes, it's early but worth keeping an eye on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Terry O'Keefe

What the hell happened here?

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. Terry O'Keefe

MLB is diving into the sticky substances for pitchers, I had to laugh at Gerrit Cole getting called out for using something and saying he didn't know how to answer the question. It's another one of those if you aren't doing it you aren't trying hard enough I guess.

Searching pitchers for goo is on deck!

19. Terry O'Keefe

20. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

The Indianapolis club, the AAA affiliate of the Pirates, is considering a name change and it looks like it'll happen. The team issued a statement last year which said that they likely will go through the 2021 season as the Indians.

Speaking of the Pirates, they probably should have a team educational meeting in which they impress upon the players certain fundamentals of the game: 1) When you have a play at first base, tag the bag for the out and don't chase the runner; 2) When you hit a home run, tag all the bases lest you are called out.

• Agree Agree x 2